Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Starz launches standalone streaming service at $8.99/month

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-16, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Starz launches standalone streaming service at $8.99/month

http://deadline.com/2016/04/starz-in...pp-1201732180/

Starz Introduces Its $8.99 A Month Standalone Streaming Service With Early Debut For ‘Outlander’

It’s time to add Starz to the list of pay TV services now available without a cable or satellite — or, in this case, an Amazon Prime — subscription.

The company just unveiled an $8.99 a month streaming service, also to be called Starz, available online and via an app for Apple and Android devices beginning today. Households can access as many as four streams simultaneously, and download shows.

Starz’ existing customers on traditional TV services, including those who buy Starz Encore and Movieplex, also can use the app to access programming.

To sweeten the offer, Starz’ new digital customers will be able to watch the premiere episode of the new season of Outlander on April 7, two days before subscribers of the current TV service will see it.

“Our programing will now be more widely available to the 20 million broadband only homes of cord nevers, cord cutters and cord shavers, including Millennials and other underserved consumers who need other viable subscription service options,” CEO Chris Albrecht says.

The launch coincides with the company’s rebranding of its Encore suite of channels, now called Starz Encore.

Albrecht had told investors to expect the digital launch, which follows the introduction of standalone services by HBO and Showtime — as well as Starz’ own independent $8.99 a month streaming offering via Amazon, announced in December.

The new app “is state-of-the-art and will have all of the functions and features that consumers are looking for, that they are expecting and that they will be excited about,” he told analysts in February. “And we are really jazzed about it here. So it opens up a whole new world for us, because unlike our relationship with Amazon, where it’s their environment that we are putting the Starz product into, this is an environment that’s been created by Starz for Starz subscribers and that experience is one that we curate and we control. And that is a very big difference.”

He assured them that it would not hurt its relationship with current distributors, who fear that the growing array of digital alternatives might promote cord shaving or cutting.

Premium networks “are a good, profitable business for them and more innovation on their part has the potential to make it even more profitable,” Albrecht said. He added that he’d like to see more variety “in how the operators price, package and market premium networks to both current and prospective subscribers.”

When it comes to Starz, Wall Street is mostly interested in seeing whether Liberty Media’s John Malone — its controlling shareholder — can engineer a sale or merger. Lionsgate was seen as a likely potential buyer: It owns 14.7% of the voting shares in Starz following a deal with Malone that gave him a stake in the independent studio as well as a seat on its board. Lionsgate said in early February that it was in talks with Starz.

But Starz’ shares fell shortly afterward as Lionsgate generated weaker-than-expected box office results for The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 and The Divergent Series: Allegiant. Starz shares are down about 23.2% since the beginning of this year, and 26.8% for the last 12 months.

Besides the movies, the most notable original content currently on Starz is Black Sails, Power, Ash vs. Evil Dead and Outlander.

I know not many here subscribe to Starz and they probably lack the brand name recognition of HBO and Showtime.

I love Black Sails and Outlander and Ash vs Evil Dead was fun. I subscribe to Starz through Directv and they also include all of the Encore channels for a total of $12.99/month, but I get a promo discount that knocks it down to the same as this deal. My promo expires in 1 week and if they don't give me another deal, I may go this route. Outlander starts this weekend.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-05-16 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-05-16, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Starz launches standalone streaming service at $8.99/month

FYI
This new app eliminates Starz Play and Encore Play. The apps had updates on my Ipad and merged all the content into 1.

For people who already have subscriptions to Starz, you can log in through your provider.

Don't know yet if Starz Play or Encore Play still works on the Roku or not.
Old 04-05-16, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I assume they still have their Amazon add-on service?
Old 04-05-16, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by davidh777
I assume they still have their Amazon add-on service?
Yes, the Amazon add-on still exists.
Old 04-06-16, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll definitely be subscribing for a month or two to binge watch the latest seasons of Black Sails, Power, and Outlander.
Old 04-10-16, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Fun fact: as a result of this, Starz and Comcast are having a dispute, so you cannot log into the Starz app with a Comcast login anymore! Yes, you can watch on your Xfinity Go app which is a POS, and removes hundreds of pieces of content though! Just special.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 04-11-16 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-13-16, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

So Roku has the STARZ Play app. But I can't connect to it. Is it dead? Is there another STARZ app?
Old 05-14-16, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Dog
So Roku has the STARZ Play app. But I can't connect to it. Is it dead? Is there another STARZ app?
Sorry to respond late to this. Anyways, Starz Play on Roku seems to be working for me. Playing season 3 of Black Sails just fine.

Maybe you had a brief outage when you tried it.
Old 05-15-16, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Like I said, if you have Xfinity, they're currently having a legal dispute, so you can't use it to log in to the Starz app.
Old 07-13-16, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2...160713starz01/

New Starz app on the Roku as of today.

You can delete the Starz Play and Encore Play apps as they've merged.

This app is for standalone subscribers and those with Starz through their provider.
Old 07-14-16, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tempting, but I'll stick with my HBO Now which is through my Comcast on almost every 2-way package they have. And since I also have Amazon and Hulu too, it's hard to rationalize any service that won't be radically different.
Old 07-14-16, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

How many movies does HBO Now usually carry?
Old 07-14-16, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
How many movies does HBO Now usually carry?
Roughly 300ish a month I believe (somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Some movies stay a month, others stay for 3-6 months (or longer in some cases).
Old 07-14-16, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Just to correct myself, it turns out the Starz play app on the Roku updated automatically. Encore Play is now officially dead. I tried it and it directs you to the new Starz app.
Old 07-15-16, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Has everything been ported over from Encore to the new channel?

Last edited by dvd-4-life; 07-15-16 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-10-16, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am really, really, really, really get tired of the Comcast/Starz feud.
Old 03-28-19, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk God

https://www.groupon.com/deals/n-star...5a7_0_20190328

6 month subscription for only $35 via Groupon.

Starz has original shows like Power, Outlander, American Gods. All their older shows like Black Sails and Ash vs Evil Dead can also be watched there.

This is in addition to their movies.
Old 03-28-19, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Got an offer for a free trial on Roku so will be checking it out.
Old 03-28-19, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk God

FYI, the free trial on Roku is through their Roku channels hub. It's 30 days and the offer expires on Sunday.

If you go that route, you won't be able to use the standalone Starz app to sign in say you want to log in on your phone, tablet and such.
Old 07-18-23, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Just signed back up for this at 6 months for $20. Season 2 of both the Minx and Heels are coming later this month.
Old 11-08-23, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

I accidently re-upped with Starz for $46 for 6 months because I forgot to check on it and I don't think they sent me a reminder email either.

Either way, I was going to dump the service. My sub doesn't run out until January, but I was going to go ahead and cancel so I didn't forget, or they didn't conveniently send me a reminder this time.

When trying to cancel, the site offered me $18 for 6 months. I still said nah and then it offered me $15 for 6 months. So, if I even watch a few movies on it, it pays for it itself during that time, so I said fuck it and kept it for $15. This will be a $15 charge in January once my current 6 months runs out. Just wanted to make anyone aware if they are looking to get out of their sub or possibly want/need a discount. May not do it for everyone but I thought I would mention it just in case.

Peacock, on the other hand, told me to fuck off and didn't offer me shit when I cancelled it last month.
Old 11-08-23, 10:30 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Peacock, on the other hand, told me to fuck off and didn't offer me shit when I cancelled it last month.
I'm hoping they offer a Black Friday deal.