Reload this Page >

Converting from Satellite to Streaming

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Old 02-23-16, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm thinking of dropping my expensive DirectTV satellite service (close to $100 per month). Initially, I was going to go cold turkey, but then I found that it wouldn't be so bad to spend $10 or so a month with Hulu Plus. The only shows I really watch are the reality shows such as Survivor, Amazing Race, DWTS, etc. since they are not available on DVD. All others (Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, Gotham, etc.) I just wait for the season set on DVD or Blu-ray (as they usually go on sale for $10 on Black Friday).

Questions:
1. Can I get all the reality shows from the networks (CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX) on Hulu or Hulu Plus?
2. Are the shows streamed in Hulu in HD?
3. What is the minimum download internet speed I should have in order for there not to be any buffering? Is 10Mbps good enough?
4. Does my Roku have to be physically wired to my router? Since I have multiple TVs (1 downstairs, 2 upstairs) the others will have to be wireless... does that mean a slower connection and therefore buffering? Having buffering occur every few minutes would be a deal breaker for me.
5. Can I still record shows to my DVD recorder? I'm not sure if my Roku has output ports that can be plugged into my DVD recorder. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-23-16, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Converting from Satellite to Streaming

might want to ask that here .....

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk-75/

but maybe a mod will move it
Old 02-23-16, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ack! Didn't even know that there was such a sub-forum. Mod, please move... thanks!
Old 02-23-16, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by sinned

Questions:
1. Can I get all the reality shows from the networks (CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX) on Hulu or Hulu Plus? -- yes, except for CBS
2. Are the shows streamed in Hulu in HD? Kinda, not sure what level of HD it is, but not as good as over the antenna
3. What is the minimum download internet speed I should have in order for there not to be any buffering? Is 10Mbps good enough? That is what I have and it is fine
4. Does my Roku have to be physically wired to my router? Since I have multiple TVs (1 downstairs, 2 upstairs) the others will have to be wireless... does that mean a slower connection and therefore buffering? Having buffering occur every few minutes would be a deal breaker for me. I have the same setup (1 TV wired, 3 on wireless, wi-fi works fine assuming you get a good signal)
5. Can I still record shows to my DVD recorder? I'm not sure if my Roku has output ports that can be plugged into my DVD recorder. Has anyone tried this? Have not tried it, though I hooked an antenna through a cheap media computer and record live shows on that.

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-24-16, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the reply BearFan. Sounds like I can drop my DirecTV and go streaming instead.

I'm curious if anyone has tried to record off of Roku and straight to the DVd recorder? If I recall correctly, I bought the last model that still had an output port, I believe it was either the Roku 2 or Roku XS.