DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Old 10-27-14, 08:58 AM   #1

Amazon Fire TV Stick

Another week, another streaming device. Amazon Prime Members can pick this up for $19 if they order within the next two days:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GDQ0RMG/ref=fs_ftvs

Here's the story:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/27/a...fire-tv-stick/

Amazon goes after Roku and Chromecast with $39 Fire TV Stick

Amazon's Fire TV is doing very well for itself, but it's hard to justify that $99 price when a Roku Streaming Stick is $50 and a Chromecast is only $35. That's why the company has whipped out the Amazon Fire TV stick that can be snagged for as little as $19, if you're a Prime customer and move quickly enough. Like its rivals, the stick connects to your TV through the HDMI port, enabling you to watch streaming video from a wide variety of sources like Netflix and Amazon Prime. Hardware-wise, there's 1GB RAM, 8GB of storage, dual-band WiFi and, perhaps surprisingly at this price, a dedicated remote control. Naturally, you can also mirror your smartphone and tablet display, both if you're rocking a Fire phone or tablet or a Miracast-equipped device, and you can use app-based voice search with the hardware. Gaming-wise, the Fire TV controller will work with the device, but considering that the company chose to mention Flappy Birds Family over, say, Amazon-exclusive Sev Zero, it's not clear if Fire TV titles will work on the cheaper device. If you're not a Prime customer, then the device will set you back $39, and you can even get voice search baked into the remote for an additional $30 - but either way, the hardware will begin shipping on November 19th.
Old 10-27-14, 09:17 AM   #2
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Amazon Fire TV Stick

At that price for Prime members, I'm getting it just to stream the HBO shows through Prime Instant Video. Good deal.
Old 10-27-14, 09:30 AM   #3
DVD Talk Hero

Netflix, Hulu, good Amazon Instant interface, Plex support. Bought 2.
Old 10-27-14, 09:54 AM   #4
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I doubt it'll replace my Roku on my main TV, but I ordered one for the bedroom. Couldn't resist at that price.
Old 10-27-14, 10:03 AM   #5
DVD Talk Hero

I generally run stuff through my consoles, but yeah, at that price it's hard to turn down.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 10-27-14, 10:10 AM   #6
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definitely picking it up at the $20 price. Family keeps turning on the PS3 by accident with the touchy remote and it ends up running all night. We'll use this instead. We only have one TV but am thinking it may be worth picking up two with the thought we may get another TV but we don't have any plans on that so I don't know.
Old 10-27-14, 11:00 AM   #7

Thought it might be helpful to post this chart:

I'm kind of surprised that they chose to list "HBO GO" when this product doesn't have it. But I guess for $19, not too many people will complain. Still...people should know what it does and does not do.
Old 10-27-14, 11:19 AM   #8

I was going to pass. I have enough streaming devices. This stick loses most of the cool features that makes Amazon Fire TV unique. And lacking a Vudu app is a big deal for me.

But then I saw this:

Quote:
Coming soon—take Fire TV Stick with you to use with HDTVs in hotels, college dorms, airports, or anywhere with captive portal Internet access that requires entering a password or a log-in.
Finally. I don't know why other streaming devices haven't added this feature yet.
Old 10-27-14, 12:38 PM   #9

I could be wrong. But it looks like this requires a power adapter instead of drawing power from a USB connection like other sticks.
Old 10-27-14, 12:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker63 View Post
I'm kind of surprised that they chose to list "HBO GO" when this product doesn't have it. But I guess for $19, not too many people will complain. Still...people should know what it does and does not do.
HBOGo should eventually come to Fire TV. I've seen some stories saying by the end of this year, but no date set in stone. For $19 for Prime members, this is an easy purchase.
Old 10-27-14, 04:23 PM   #11
DVD Talk God

Disappointed with no HBOGO. Was curious if they would have it and if Comcrap log-ins would work (the biggest negative with the Roku).
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 10-27-14, 04:44 PM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

Might be worth grabbing one of these and selling off one of my Fire TVs.
Old 10-27-14, 04:46 PM   #13
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Grabbed it for the bedroom TV.
Old 10-27-14, 05:29 PM   #14
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm pretty interested for the ability to log on to hotel wifi spots.

Winner! James Bond 007 Sheep game 8/26/16
Old 10-27-14, 05:52 PM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

I have 4 AppleTVs but dammit if $19 isn't worth it just to try it out. The on-the-road aspect might make it worthwhile.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 10-27-14, 06:16 PM   #16
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I'm tempted to buy one for my office, but am not sure if I want my co-workers the ability to see and modify my various queues.
Old 10-27-14, 06:32 PM   #17
DVD Talk Legend

I pre-ordered. It's worth a try for the price.
Old 10-27-14, 06:44 PM   #18
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ordered one, and literally minutes later decided to order another, and was denied the second order. Says the quantity must be limited to a new number: 0. Huh.
Old 10-27-14, 07:03 PM   #19
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I could be wrong. But it looks like this requires a power adapter instead of drawing power from a USB connection like other sticks.
Says it a couple of times in the write-up. Sounds like it draws more than 0.5 A standard powered USB ports can supply. Chargers and some ports offer 1 A. Check the USB port rating (for power) on your TV. You might luck out, but they are warning "probably not."

Bought one for upstairs TV. How can you not for $19. Order queue must be filling up, my promised delivery is Dec 17.

Last edited by OldDude; 10-27-14 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-27-14, 07:09 PM   #20
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

We picked one up for traveling purposes alone. My wife's folks don't have any streaming devices at their house, and this thing will be a lot more convenient than running an HDMI cable to the laptop whenever our toddler wants to watch something.
Old 10-27-14, 07:15 PM   #21
DVD Talk Hero

I placed my order and was told November 25th, canceled to re-order with a 2nd unit and now it's Nov 26th. Then immediately after my friend ordered and got Dec 1.
Old 10-27-14, 07:23 PM   #22
DVD Talk Hero

I give them credit for listing the omission of HBO Go. I'm sure it's one of the most popular apps, and their Prime video service is very visibly associated with HBO, so might as well put it out there and save a million calls to CS.

The power thing is kind of annoying because power outlets aren't always within range of the HDMI port. I guess that's the drawback to being "powerful."
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 10-27-14, 08:04 PM   #23
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered 2 and it says delivery date is Dec. 16th.
Old 10-27-14, 09:05 PM   #24
DVD Talk Legend

I picked one up. Nothing can replace the Roku 3, but this will work great for a bedroom device. No Vudu, HBOgo and Warner Archive is a bummer but hopefully they get added.
Old 10-27-14, 09:11 PM   #25
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I give them credit for listing the omission of HBO Go. I'm sure it's one of the most popular apps, and their Prime video service is very visibly associated with HBO, so might as well put it out there and save a million calls to CS.
That's exactly why I think they listed it, too.

Do people think I should cancel my order of one so I can make a new order of two or will I end up out of luck completely?