Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-15, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Amazon Fire TV Stick

Mine has been great so far, no issues.

Downloaded the Pokemon TV, Hasbro and Jim Henson channels.
Old 01-30-15, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done two factory resets and I'm about ready to just throw this piece of crap away. The stick is literally 3 feet away from the router and I can't watch videos on Hulu+, Netflix or even Amazon Prime without the video glitching/stuttering two or three times a show. I'm glad I didn't spend more than $20 on it. We've pretty much gone back to using the PS3 for our streaming.
Old 01-30-15, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Despite a couple hiccups with the WiFi, mine has been great. I think the distance between my Fire TV stick and router is the cause of it. The main TV I use it on is farther away and I occasionally experience stuttering, but when I use it on a TV closer to the router, I don't have any issues.
Old 01-30-15, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

It also seems to be picky on what routers it supports, but if you have a well compatible one, running at 5ghz, you're probably going to be alright.
Old 01-30-15, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I get a few pauses when starting a show on the WWE Network on the stick. The non-stick Fire TV has been near flawless, though, and we use it everyday. Netflix, XBMC and HBOtoGo.
Old 01-30-15, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

My stick has been flawless.
Old 01-30-15, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I've had no issues at all. Granted, my router is located behind my TV, so it would be impossible for it to be any closer. And I've not done much streaming using other methods, so I have nothing to compare it to. But I've been pleased.
Old 01-30-15, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Hulu app seems to be particularly bad and sensitive to "network issues". In-house Plex works reliably and well, PlexPass is unreliable. Netflix mostly works alright and Amazon Instant works pretty decently on it (I'll get numerous "Network Connection Lost" errors for no reason from time to time but otherwise is okay). This would originally sit with the Software Developer, but Amazon is actually pretty far behind on a few apps, either for their own testing or because they require Fees for updates (not sure if they do).

The Wireless has been patched a bit but still has bugs, mine will occasionally lose all Networking for no reason and need a reboot (easiest way is to hold Select + Play until it reboots) and then it starts working again.

System updates and App updates still seem to erase credentials which is frustrating when gifting them out as well (parents/relatives that are older)

I have none of these issues on my Roku 3, but that also cost me $40 - $45 more.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-30-15 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-30-15, 02:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Same here, and my daughter has been using it upstairs in our game room. No issues of dropoffs of any sort, good connection all the way through. And the router is downstairs in the master closet.
Old 01-30-15, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 147 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Originally Posted by trespoochies
Same here, and my daughter has been using it
Old 02-02-15, 02:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

No problems with wifi on my Fire Stick and my router is upstairs and past 2 walls.
Old 02-02-15, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by printerati
I put my Stick into the hole, and content streams from it.
Old 02-02-15, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've only had one hiccup with my fire stick and I had to restart it. So far, I like it.
Old 02-03-15, 08:39 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

The wifi has improved since I got it. Initially, it was terrible (both Netflix and Amazon streaming). However, hasn't buffered once in the last few weeks. Haven't checked to see whether an update was ever deployed.
Old 02-03-15, 08:42 AM

I think I'm going to reach out to Amazon and see if I can get a replacement, then. I love the concept and am perfectly fine with the idea that the stick may be bad as opposed to the other possibility that it's just a piece of crap. A couple days ago, it decided that it just needed to do a reboot 20 seconds into a Netflix show.

ETA: Aside from having to supply my wife's info (The Prime is under her name), it was really easy to work with Amazon support. I'll have the replacement by Thursday and hopefully that'll work better than this one. Figured it's worth saying that their CS is pretty darned solid after taking a dumb on my unit.

Last edited by Dexter Douglas; 02-03-15 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-08-15, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I've had my Fire TV for about a week and a half now and incredibly pleased with it; not one issue I had with the Stick.
Old 02-09-15, 09:25 AM

After using the new one for a few days now, it looks like the old one was just bad. I'm really glad that's the case because it's a great piece of hardware to have other than the iffy performance. I'm going to sideload Sling TV tonight and see how that works.
Old 02-09-15, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I have a Roku 3, and am quite happy with it. I've been considering adding a Fire Stick, and was wondering if it's worth it, seeing as I am happy with my Roku.
Old 02-09-15, 11:28 AM

I played with my folks' Roku 3 over the weekend, and honestly I wouldn't switch to a Fire Stick. If you're adding a device, then it's not a bad option at all, especially for the money. I personally just like the ridiculous number of channels you can add to the Roku 3 and I really dig the interface. If this replacement Stick didn't work out, I was going to spring for a Roku 3 and call it a day.
Old 03-20-15, 03:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

HBO GO comes to the Amazon Fire TV Stick

http://www.androidcentral.com/hbo-go...-fire-tv-stick

For those of you rocking one of Amazon's Fire TV Sticks, today may be your lucky day. HBO GO has finally made its way to the streaming dongle.

There hasn't yet been a formal announcement, but HBO GO is indeed available for the Fire TV Stick through the dongle's app store.

HBO GO originally hit the Fire TV back in December, but users of its smaller sibling, the Fire TV Stick, were left out of the party with a promise that the service would hit the streaming dongle sometime in the spring.

If you'd like to try the app out on your Fire TV Stick, you should be able to snag it from the device's app store now. However, do keep in mind that HBO GO does require an active cable subscription from a participating provider to use.
Old 03-20-15, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dexter Douglas
I played with my folks' Roku 3 over the weekend, and honestly I wouldn't switch to a Fire Stick. If you're adding a device, then it's not a bad option at all, especially for the money. I personally just like the ridiculous number of channels you can add to the Roku 3 and I really dig the interface. If this replacement Stick didn't work out, I was going to spring for a Roku 3 and call it a day.
These are good as cheap bedroom TV devices.
Old 03-20-15, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Love my fire stick, we use it every night for Netflix.
Old 04-15-15, 05:56 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

The new firmware allows users to connect to hotel WiFi.

Amazon Fire TV OS 1.5 brings X-Ray, UI changes, lets you connect to hotel Wi-Fi

Amazon today announced the release of Fire TV OS 1.5, which bundles numerous improvements and new features to enhance the viewing experience.

Both the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick are affected by the software update, which should be automatically rolling out as we speak. Fire TV OS 1.5 introduces captive portal support, enabling owners of the devices to connect to public Wi-Fi (like hotels and dorms) that require web authentication to enjoy on-demand content.

While viewing your favorite shows and movies on-screen, X-Ray will display information about actors and songs in the current scene, offer trivia quizzes and more. We've already covered this part of the update in some detail. Should you be a Prime member, you'll now be able to access curated Prime Music playlists from Fire TV.

The company also made some handy changes to the user interface, including hidden PIN entry for those times when you want to make sure the kids can't see the entered digits, as well as new shortcuts that help you quickly put the Fire TV to sleep or even enable display mirroring by simply pressing and holding the home button.

Other notable improvements included in the 1.5 release (for the Fire TV only) bring expandable USB storage support and private listening through connected Bluetooth headphones.

http://www.androidcentral.com/amazon...oftware-update
Old 04-18-15, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
These are good as cheap bedroom TV devices.
It's sounds this would've been a better choice than the Chromecast stick that I bought or than my BD player's wonky interface.
Old 04-18-15, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Probably, I love the Chromecast but it could use an actual menu. BD Players make terrible non-BD media devices in general.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.