DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Old 02-03-15, 08:39 AM   #126

Re: Amazon Fire TV Stick

The wifi has improved since I got it. Initially, it was terrible (both Netflix and Amazon streaming). However, hasn't buffered once in the last few weeks. Haven't checked to see whether an update was ever deployed.
Old 02-03-15, 08:42 AM   #127

I think I'm going to reach out to Amazon and see if I can get a replacement, then. I love the concept and am perfectly fine with the idea that the stick may be bad as opposed to the other possibility that it's just a piece of crap. A couple days ago, it decided that it just needed to do a reboot 20 seconds into a Netflix show.

ETA: Aside from having to supply my wife's info (The Prime is under her name), it was really easy to work with Amazon support. I'll have the replacement by Thursday and hopefully that'll work better than this one. Figured it's worth saying that their CS is pretty darned solid after taking a dumb on my unit.

Last edited by Dexter Douglas; 02-03-15 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-08-15, 01:19 PM   #128
DVD Talk Reviewer

I've had my Fire TV for about a week and a half now and incredibly pleased with it; not one issue I had with the Stick.
Old 02-09-15, 09:25 AM   #129

After using the new one for a few days now, it looks like the old one was just bad. I'm really glad that's the case because it's a great piece of hardware to have other than the iffy performance. I'm going to sideload Sling TV tonight and see how that works.
Old 02-09-15, 10:53 AM   #130
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a Roku 3, and am quite happy with it. I've been considering adding a Fire Stick, and was wondering if it's worth it, seeing as I am happy with my Roku.
Old 02-09-15, 11:28 AM   #131

I played with my folks' Roku 3 over the weekend, and honestly I wouldn't switch to a Fire Stick. If you're adding a device, then it's not a bad option at all, especially for the money. I personally just like the ridiculous number of channels you can add to the Roku 3 and I really dig the interface. If this replacement Stick didn't work out, I was going to spring for a Roku 3 and call it a day.
Old 03-20-15, 03:35 PM   #132

HBO GO comes to the Amazon Fire TV Stick

http://www.androidcentral.com/hbo-go...-fire-tv-stick

For those of you rocking one of Amazon's Fire TV Sticks, today may be your lucky day. HBO GO has finally made its way to the streaming dongle.

There hasn't yet been a formal announcement, but HBO GO is indeed available for the Fire TV Stick through the dongle's app store.

HBO GO originally hit the Fire TV back in December, but users of its smaller sibling, the Fire TV Stick, were left out of the party with a promise that the service would hit the streaming dongle sometime in the spring.

If you'd like to try the app out on your Fire TV Stick, you should be able to snag it from the device's app store now. However, do keep in mind that HBO GO does require an active cable subscription from a participating provider to use.
Old 03-20-15, 03:39 PM   #133
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Douglas View Post
I played with my folks' Roku 3 over the weekend, and honestly I wouldn't switch to a Fire Stick. If you're adding a device, then it's not a bad option at all, especially for the money. I personally just like the ridiculous number of channels you can add to the Roku 3 and I really dig the interface. If this replacement Stick didn't work out, I was going to spring for a Roku 3 and call it a day.
These are good as cheap bedroom TV devices.
Old 03-20-15, 05:03 PM   #134
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Love my fire stick, we use it every night for Netflix.
Old 04-15-15, 05:56 PM   #135

The new firmware allows users to connect to hotel WiFi.

Quote:
Amazon Fire TV OS 1.5 brings X-Ray, UI changes, lets you connect to hotel Wi-Fi

Amazon today announced the release of Fire TV OS 1.5, which bundles numerous improvements and new features to enhance the viewing experience.

Both the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick are affected by the software update, which should be automatically rolling out as we speak. Fire TV OS 1.5 introduces captive portal support, enabling owners of the devices to connect to public Wi-Fi (like hotels and dorms) that require web authentication to enjoy on-demand content.

While viewing your favorite shows and movies on-screen, X-Ray will display information about actors and songs in the current scene, offer trivia quizzes and more. We've already covered this part of the update in some detail. Should you be a Prime member, you'll now be able to access curated Prime Music playlists from Fire TV.

The company also made some handy changes to the user interface, including hidden PIN entry for those times when you want to make sure the kids can't see the entered digits, as well as new shortcuts that help you quickly put the Fire TV to sleep or even enable display mirroring by simply pressing and holding the home button.

Other notable improvements included in the 1.5 release (for the Fire TV only) bring expandable USB storage support and private listening through connected Bluetooth headphones.

http://www.androidcentral.com/amazon...oftware-update
Old 04-18-15, 10:30 PM   #136
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
These are good as cheap bedroom TV devices.
It's sounds this would've been a better choice than the Chromecast stick that I bought or than my BD player's wonky interface.
Gillian Flynn
Old 04-18-15, 11:45 PM   #137
DVD Talk Hero

Probably, I love the Chromecast but it could use an actual menu. BD Players make terrible non-BD media devices in general.
Old 04-19-15, 08:16 AM   #138
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Except the PS3, that also serves as a pretty good non-BD media device.
Old 04-19-15, 11:13 AM   #139
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
Except the PS3, that also serves as a pretty good non-BD media device.
I don't count Game Consoles in that comment as they cost substantially more than either. They're also the best overall choice for most people, though the lack of IR support on the PS3/PS4 puts them at a slight disadvantage. (I think the PS3 has a USB one, but you have to power it on with the game pad still right?)
Old 04-19-15, 11:46 AM   #140
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, you do. I picked up a refurb PS3 500GB for $125, so in the range of a regular blu Ray player. But you're right, I've always seen that as a disadvantage, the lack of IR .
Old 04-19-15, 01:49 PM   #141
DVD Talk Hero

I thought Blu Ray players were way cheaper now.
Old 04-19-15, 05:40 PM   #142
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Probably, I love the Chromecast but it could use an actual menu. BD Players make terrible non-BD media devices in general.
If HBO would stop being so isolationist with Go and let me use it on the damn player or Amazon would stop being idiots and work with Chromecast, it'd be a hell of a lot easier. But I still have to switch it out with the 2 HDMI ports in my expensive new plasma. But I wish I'd known that before I spent $200 on the custom player and $30 on Chromecast.

Quote:
I thought Blu Ray players were way cheaper now.
They are, but I wanted a region-free one, so I had to pay an extra $100 for the modifications. I also wish it did better upscaling . But hey, you live, you learn. The BD Player's Amazon interface is really weird, it doesn't display things in rows like my iPhone and my dad's Smart TV do, and it only displays the bitrate instead of the resolution of the video.

First world problems .
Gillian Flynn
Old 06-16-15, 02:53 PM   #143
DVD Talk Hero

Stick is $34 for a "limited time."
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 06-16-15, 04:22 PM   #144
DVD Talk Reviewer

Do Netflix and/or Amazon Instant Video break into the end credits on the FireTV stick?
Old 06-16-15, 05:29 PM   #145
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Do Netflix and/or Amazon Instant Video break into the end credits on the FireTV stick?
I've actually noticed recently watching M*A*S*H on it that the next episode starts right after the opening credits. The closing credits downsize and show the next episode and the countdown to the next one.
Old 06-16-15, 06:46 PM   #146
DVD Talk Reviewer

That's completely unacceptable- you can set it to not automatically play the next episode (which I actually don't mind) but on my Roku 1 it will still darken the screen during the end credits which is why I don't use Amazon (it even does this on movies you've PURCHASED!) Netflix still plays fine on it, but the unit has been glitchy lately and I'm looking for something else. If I can't get something that won't downsize the end credits, I'll just drop Netflix altogether.
Old 06-16-15, 10:00 PM   #147
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I use Netflix on my Apple TV it doesn't skip the opening credits of the next episode which I can't stand. You'd figure they could figure that out and get it working, unless I just don't have it set up correctly. But then again, I didn't do anything different on the Fire Stick and it just started working recently.
Old 06-16-15, 10:47 PM   #148
DVD Talk Hero

From what I understand, Netflix has far less control on the Apple app and can't add features like that easily.
Old 06-17-15, 01:05 AM   #149
DVD Talk Reviewer

Netflix REALLY needs to make their playback more customizable- my Sharp TV skips over the openings of shows too, but scanning backwards to see them isn't as annoying as having to hit a button just to see the end credits the way they should be (which doesn't happen on my TV, but it can't output Dolby Digital Plus to my receiver so I can't watch anything that uses that with it). I want a "don't fuck with my content in any way, shape or form" setting.
Old 06-17-15, 06:05 AM   #150
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah there's a small but very vocal crowd that agrees with you. They need to make it so when you shut off post-play it does that.

I hated that my ps3 had the feature (minimizing credits, auto play episodes, etc; ) and my Roku 3 didn't for like six months so much so that I almost returned that thing.