DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Old 12-15-14, 01:24 PM   #101

Re: Amazon Fire TV Stick

I only use it to occasionally access my mkv files on the NAS as well as some of the channels that aren't currently in the App Store. To be clear, I didn't root the thing at all, so sideloading an app shouldn't affect performance like this, especially since it's the only video app that has stuttering/buffering issues.
Old 12-18-14, 08:50 AM   #102
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got my order on Tuesday. I watched on Amazon Prime and everything played well. I'll probably do some more streaming via the stick this weekend.
Old 12-28-14, 10:00 PM   #103

When I read that the Fire Stick would have the feature of being to log-in to hotel wifi services with their splash pages, it was a no-brainer to buy this for $20.

It works great at home.

But, in my stays this holiday season in hotels, I learned that the feature allowing one to log-in to hotel wifi/splash pages is not yet part of the Amazon Fire Stick. Apparently, this feature is supposedly coming sometime in 2015. Seems to me they should have said that when advertising ("coming soon").

Anyone been able to use teir Fire Stick to log-in to hotel wifi with splash pages?
Old 12-29-14, 03:26 PM   #104
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, that's something that no other streaming stick (to my knowledge) has been able to accomplish. I knew this was coming with the Fire Stick, but I also knew it hadn't been completed yet.
Old 12-29-14, 04:02 PM   #105
DVD Talk Hero

Do the Roku and Fire TV have the same problem? I know they're a little larger and not as convenient to carry, but they would still easily fit into most luggage.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 12-29-14, 04:34 PM   #106
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by story View Post
Couldn't get through some shows on Hulu+ without constant freezing every few minutes. Hoping it gets better, but not an impressive start.
We are seeing this as well. The Hulu+ channel on the Roku suffered from the same issue until about a year ago, so hopefully it's just a matter of optimizing the Fire TV app someday.

We have been using the Stick daily at my in-laws' house (which has a considerably better wireless router and a considerably faster internet connection than we do at home), and we are still having constant connectivity issues despite the signal always being "excellent" or "very good" and using the HDMI extension cable to help reposition it. I don't think we have been able to watch a single 30-minute show without at least one "buffering" hiccup. The interface doesn't seem quite as laggy as it did the first time I tested it at home, however.

I'm still not impressed, and wouldn't dream of using this as our primary streaming device.
Old 12-30-14, 12:53 AM   #107
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Do the Roku and Fire TV have the same problem? I know they're a little larger and not as convenient to carry, but they would still easily fit into most luggage.
Chromecast does have the problem, so I'd imagine those two would as well. The problem is that most hotels have a login prior to being able to use the internet, and streaming devices can't get around that (yet). Phones used as hotspots don't help, but I can't remember why. The whole thing pissed me off while on a trip.
Old 01-03-15, 05:00 PM   #108
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by printerati View Post
We are seeing this as well. The Hulu+ channel on the Roku suffered from the same issue until about a year ago, so hopefully it's just a matter of optimizing the Fire TV app someday.

We have been using the Stick daily at my in-laws' house (which has a considerably better wireless router and a considerably faster internet connection than we do at home), and we are still having constant connectivity issues despite the signal always being "excellent" or "very good" and using the HDMI extension cable to help reposition it. I don't think we have been able to watch a single 30-minute show without at least one "buffering" hiccup. The interface doesn't seem quite as laggy as it did the first time I tested it at home, however.

I'm still not impressed, and wouldn't dream of using this as our primary streaming device.
It is problematic any way you look at it, they didn't do good R&D on the Wifi included inside the stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Any device that doesn't have a built-in web browser is likely to have the problem. I'm hoping they throw in a minimal web browser into future versions of the Roku. Can you sideload a web browser onto the Fire TV? That may fix the issue there.

Otherwise you're stuck using a travel router to get it working right.
Old 01-03-15, 05:50 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Otherwise you're stuck using a travel router to get it working right.
Using a travel router is pretty simple, so long as you know some basic router stuff. I got a HooToo TripMate and the instructions were very clear and easy to follow. And they're cheap (under $20). I ended up buying the $33 model with the built-in battery.

http://www.amazon.com/HooToo-TripMat...dp/B00DTPYRTI/
http://www.amazon.com/HooToo-TripMat...dp/B00HZWOQZ6/

And it's not just good for video streaming. I've found that plugging a travel router into the hotel's ethernet port and creating my own wifi hotspot usually gives me better results than using the hotel's wifi network.
Old 01-03-15, 06:01 PM   #110
DVD Talk Hero

It does, you have to keep in mind that there are a ton of people using the Wifi in the hotels, having your own private hotspot, especially on a different channel, will help a lot.
Old 01-29-15, 09:00 PM   #111
DVD Talk Reviewer

Anyone else find that the Fire TV Stick performed less reliably than Chromecast? I just returned the one I bought over the weekend; it constantly loss the WiFi signal and Hulu was laggy and glitchy. The Chromecast works fine; I did pick up an actual Fire TV box and was gonna run a wired connection to it and see if I get better performance from it than I did the stick.
Old 01-29-15, 09:37 PM   #112
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
Anyone else find that the Fire TV Stick performed less reliably than Chromecast? I just returned the one I bought over the weekend; it constantly loss the WiFi signal and Hulu was laggy and glitchy. The Chromecast works fine; I did pick up an actual Fire TV box and was gonna run a wired connection to it and see if I get better performance from it than I did the stick.
The stick has some of the worst Wifi performance I've ever seen in terms of reliability.
Old 01-29-15, 11:35 PM   #113
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mine has been great so far, no issues.

Downloaded the Pokemon TV, Hasbro and Jim Henson channels.
Old 01-30-15, 08:56 AM   #114

I've done two factory resets and I'm about ready to just throw this piece of crap away. The stick is literally 3 feet away from the router and I can't watch videos on Hulu+, Netflix or even Amazon Prime without the video glitching/stuttering two or three times a show. I'm glad I didn't spend more than $20 on it. We've pretty much gone back to using the PS3 for our streaming.
Old 01-30-15, 09:52 AM   #115

Despite a couple hiccups with the WiFi, mine has been great. I think the distance between my Fire TV stick and router is the cause of it. The main TV I use it on is farther away and I occasionally experience stuttering, but when I use it on a TV closer to the router, I don't have any issues.
Old 01-30-15, 10:08 AM   #116
DVD Talk Hero

It also seems to be picky on what routers it supports, but if you have a well compatible one, running at 5ghz, you're probably going to be alright.
Old 01-30-15, 11:40 AM   #117
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I get a few pauses when starting a show on the WWE Network on the stick. The non-stick Fire TV has been near flawless, though, and we use it everyday. Netflix, XBMC and HBOtoGo.
Old 01-30-15, 01:10 PM   #118
DVD Talk Legend

My stick has been flawless.
Old 01-30-15, 01:17 PM   #119
DVD Talk Legend

I've had no issues at all. Granted, my router is located behind my TV, so it would be impossible for it to be any closer. And I've not done much streaming using other methods, so I have nothing to compare it to. But I've been pleased.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 01-30-15, 01:19 PM   #120
DVD Talk Hero

The Hulu app seems to be particularly bad and sensitive to "network issues". In-house Plex works reliably and well, PlexPass is unreliable. Netflix mostly works alright and Amazon Instant works pretty decently on it (I'll get numerous "Network Connection Lost" errors for no reason from time to time but otherwise is okay). This would originally sit with the Software Developer, but Amazon is actually pretty far behind on a few apps, either for their own testing or because they require Fees for updates (not sure if they do).

The Wireless has been patched a bit but still has bugs, mine will occasionally lose all Networking for no reason and need a reboot (easiest way is to hold Select + Play until it reboots) and then it starts working again.

System updates and App updates still seem to erase credentials which is frustrating when gifting them out as well (parents/relatives that are older)

I have none of these issues on my Roku 3, but that also cost me $40 - $45 more.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-30-15 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-30-15, 02:18 PM   #121
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Same here, and my daughter has been using it upstairs in our game room. No issues of dropoffs of any sort, good connection all the way through. And the router is downstairs in the master closet.
Old 01-30-15, 03:29 PM   #122
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
Same here, and my daughter has been using it
Old 02-02-15, 02:18 PM   #123

No problems with wifi on my Fire Stick and my router is upstairs and past 2 walls.
Old 02-02-15, 03:26 PM   #124
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by printerati View Post
I put my Stick into the hole, and content streams from it.
Old 02-02-15, 11:16 PM   #125
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've only had one hiccup with my fire stick and I had to restart it. So far, I like it.