DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Old 12-06-14, 10:36 AM   #76
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Amazon Fire TV Stick

Make sure you plug in the AC power adapter for extra juice.
Old 12-06-14, 10:49 AM   #77
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Arrived yesterday and I plugged it into one of our receiver's HDMI slots and I like it. I've noticed most songs I stream from my Amazon music library have a real-time lyrics scroll on the screen, that's cool. My playlist for Amazon Prime video is a little tricky to find but gosh, no problem finding videos to BUY, but other than that I like it.

Is this thing always on? If there's an on/off option, I haven't seen it.
Old 12-06-14, 11:37 AM   #78
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by story View Post
Arrived yesterday and I plugged it into one of our receiver's HDMI slots and I like it. I've noticed most songs I stream from my Amazon music library have a real-time lyrics scroll on the screen, that's cool. My playlist for Amazon Prime video is a little tricky to find but gosh, no problem finding videos to BUY, but other than that I like it.

Is this thing always on? If there's an on/off option, I haven't seen it.
there's a sleep setting in the Settings menu. I think it may also go to sleep on its own after a while.
Old 12-06-14, 07:29 PM   #79
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Been enjoying the music I have uploaded over the past 18mos

Also been using the photos option, I've uploaded a bunch, it's a nice bonus to see them on TV now

The bonus has been the video I uploaded, it's been great, I might have to up my storage as I've maxed out the free 5 gig , it's nice to check out some of my older flip and camcorder and iPhone videos...

For $20 at launch, it's been great
Old 12-07-14, 05:02 PM   #80
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No YouTube app? Bizarre. And of course, all our preschooler wants to watch this week is YouTube clips...
Old 12-07-14, 07:24 PM   #81
DVD Talk Hero

There's a YouTube app, it's just blue (instead of red) and simply says youtube.com on it.

Old 12-07-14, 07:29 PM   #82
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Really? Huh, can't find that.
Old 12-07-14, 08:28 PM   #83
DVD Talk Legend

Wasn't supposed to receive mine til Christmas, but shipping notice came today. Look forward to checking it out.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 12-09-14, 01:26 AM   #84
DVD Talk Legend

Package arrived today. I like the stick after playing around with it for a short bit. My biggest gripe was trying to open the remote up so I could insert the batteries. Felt like an idiot trying to do so, finally looking for an answer and discovering it was a common difficulty.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 12-09-14, 07:56 AM   #85
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been using my stick for about 2 weeks now and I love it. After some early connection issues, I changed the frequency on my router and it's been rock solid. HD streams look great on my 50" plasma. Wish I'd gotten 2.
Old 12-09-14, 01:38 PM   #86

Just got shipping notification 3 weeks ahead of schedule.
Old 12-09-14, 04:01 PM   #87
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I stumbled into the apps finally, got the WWE Network, also downloaded some of the rain and waterfall scenes which seem nice to fall asleep to. Also thought the aquarium was pretty neat.
Old 12-09-14, 04:46 PM   #88
DVD Talk Legend

So does anyone have this and the Chromecast to compare? I am pretty happy with my Chromecast, but for $20 I decided to give this a shot.
Old 12-09-14, 08:46 PM   #89
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
So does anyone have this and the Chromecast to compare? I am pretty happy with my Chromecast, but for $20 I decided to give this a shot.

I think the Fire stick is a better but that's due to it being twice as powerful as the Chromecast device itself. I watched some Netflix and Youtube the other day and it was pristine. I just need to test out the 5.1 DD lossy on Netflix before making a final judgement.
Old 12-09-14, 08:54 PM   #90
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
For me, I find the Chromecast to be a better made device that works better for its intended purpose. The Amazon Fire Stick is an altogether standalone which is really nice, but on the software front, it isn't ready for prime time.

Great at $20, not worth it at $40, yet at least.
Old 12-09-14, 09:45 PM   #91
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got another email from Amazon and the shipping estimate was bumped up again and my stick might be shipping on Thursday.
Old 12-10-14, 11:56 AM   #92
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah, mine was originally going to be shipped to be on dec 24th but it got bumped up to tomorrow
Old 12-11-14, 11:40 AM   #93
DVD Talk Limited Edition

it was delivered at around 9pm last night. i was surprised. I'll try and set it up with XBMC today or tomorrow
Old 12-11-14, 05:03 PM   #94
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Found the YouTube app, thanks for letting me know it exists.
Old 12-12-14, 11:41 AM   #95
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I installed SPMC (an android friendlier branch of XBMC) onto my fire stick and its working great. If the WWE Network and Netflix will work okay on it, i wont have to turn on the PS3 as much, so thats good.
Old 12-13-14, 09:02 AM   #96

I plan on tweaking a few of the settings today as recommended on the Plex forum. Tried it out last night and the wireless strength wasn't all that great and the Netflix image was choppy at times.
Old 12-13-14, 09:24 PM   #97
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My stick shipped on Thursday, but I won't get it until Monday or Tuesday. I have been reading the reviews from users here and reviews from different sites. I'm seeing mixed views.
Old 12-13-14, 10:06 PM   #98
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Couldn't get through some shows on Hulu+ without constant freezing every few minutes. Hoping it gets better, but not an impressive start.
Old 12-15-14, 11:37 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by story View Post
Couldn't get through some shows on Hulu+ without constant freezing every few minutes. Hoping it gets better, but not an impressive start.
I ran into the same thing. My router is literally less than 3 feet from my Fire Stick and it has zero issues streaming Amazon or Netflix content. For some reason it stutters on every Hulu show we try to watch, though. I've noticed the soft image in XBMC, but so far it seems to be good enough to replace my Raspberry Pi and PS3 (aside from Hulu+). Hopefully Hulu optimizes their app for the Stick.
Old 12-15-14, 12:38 PM   #100
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why XBMC? The things you want are already apps for the stick. Maybe reset the device and see if Hulu would work as-is?

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan