Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Old 11-22-14, 11:20 PM   #51

Re: Amazon Fire TV Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I'm so sad I missed the promo price
It's supposed to be $24 at Staples tomorrow and I think $25 at Best Buy. Not as good as $19, but better than $39.
Old 11-22-14, 11:26 PM   #52
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexxriot View Post
It's supposed to be $24 at Staples tomorrow and I think $25 at Best Buy. Not as good as $19, but better than $39.
And if that's the case, there's added value in not having to wait several more weeks to receive the cheaper one from Amazon.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 11-23-14, 12:26 AM   #53
DVD Talk Legend

Mine shipped tonight, so it should be here by Monday or Tuesday.
Old 11-23-14, 09:52 AM   #54
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I absolutely love this thing, especially considering I paid just $20. It's light years better (and faster) than the Roku stick. Even at the full price it's a spectacular option for someone who wants basic streaming.
Old 11-23-14, 10:12 AM   #55
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The USPS delivered mine today... on SUNDAY. I couldn't believe it. I'll try it as soon as I recover from the shock.
Old 11-23-14, 11:24 AM   #56
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
The USPS delivered mine today... on SUNDAY. I couldn't believe it. I'll try it as soon as I recover from the shock.
Aye: http://www.foxbusiness.com/industrie...oliday-season/
Old 11-23-14, 11:32 AM   #57
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
I just got a text from Amazon that a package is on the carrier and being delivered today; hopefully it's my stick.
Old 11-25-14, 08:58 AM   #58
DVD Talk Hero

WiFi on this thing sucks.

I have a normal Fire TV that is farther away from the router and it has never had a connection issue. The stick is close to my router yet it can't even load the entire menu without saying "disconnected". Garbage,
Old 11-25-14, 09:01 AM   #59
DVD Talk Hero

Are you using the 2.4 or 5ghz freq? I'm on the 2.4 and haven't had a single bit of trouble from right on top or across the house, but I've read some complaints on the Plex forums about the 5ghz freq.

A few days with this thing and it's still a nice device for $20, it won't be replacing my other devices though until they get a few things fixed (and I don't really like the main interface all that much). Still, for the price, no complaints, they'll make great gifts.

Gonna play around with sideloading this weekend, hopefully get a couple functional emulators running on it.
Old 11-26-14, 05:53 PM   #60
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got a message from Amazon. My Fire Stick was originally estimated to ship on December 31, now it's estimated to ship December 22. It does look like some people are getting their orders a little earlier than expected.
Old 11-26-14, 05:58 PM   #61
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Just got mine, forget what the estimate was.

Going to bed soon, but perhaps I'll bring it to work and play with it there tomorrow.
Old 11-26-14, 07:28 PM   #62
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not yet shipped
Delivery estimate: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 by 8pm

Winner! James Bond 007 Sheep game 8/26/16
Old 11-26-14, 07:38 PM   #63
DVD Talk Hero

I bought a couple more from Best Buy as gifts, after afew days use, I have to say Plex sucks on here afterall (it's really buggy), and Hulu is slow for some reason.
Old 11-30-14, 12:25 PM   #64

Mine shipped today. It ended up shipping out about a week and a half earlier than they originally estimated. I'm looking forward to checking this out. I liked the Fire TV when they had the free trial, I just didn't want to pay $99 for it. For $19, I couldn't say no. Plus, I had $5 credit, so it was only $15 after tax.
Old 12-01-14, 02:15 PM   #65
DVD Talk Hero

The Best Buy I went to was completely cleaned out. I forgot about Staples and drove right by one on my way to BB.

I'm still annoyed by the fact that this thing needs a power source rather than the USB port like the other sticks.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 12-01-14, 02:21 PM   #66
DVD Talk Hero

It doesn't. It runs off USB for numerous devices (including my receiver), it just isn't the recommended method since it may not give it quite enough juice.
Old 12-02-14, 04:28 PM   #67
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, I just set mine up and it rocks. There was a bit of a problem when it was trying to update and it did ask me to unplug and plug the AC adapter. It does say for best results to plug into the AC, though. It installed right away after that, updated, and played the tutorial video. I'm just happy that it noe carries DD 5.1 Plus. I do need to sync it to my Macbook and my iPhone. I don't know if there's an app for the iPhone just yet, so I am currently using the remote that it came with.

Shit, for $19 this is fucking great! I may give my Chromecast to a family member or friend.
Old 12-02-14, 09:51 PM   #68
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I'm still annoyed by the fact that this thing needs a power source rather than the USB port like the other sticks.
I agree that using a USB port makes for a cleaner install but using the wall plug likely prevents issues.
It looks fine for use within the Amazon ecosystem but they don't make it easy to break out. I guess you're supposed to use these "apps" as opposed to just selecting Roku channels. There is no big pool you can just browse and pick what you want like Roku... This seems crude by comparison. I'm not crazy about it.

Last edited by Easy; 12-02-14 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-02-14, 10:31 PM   #69
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does this work well for duplicating web content from your phone to the tv?

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
Old 12-03-14, 02:16 PM   #70
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mine shipped today, around two weeks early. Does this come with the remote? The page both says it does and it doesnt.
Old 12-03-14, 02:20 PM   #71
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by story View Post
Mine shipped today, around two weeks early. Does this come with the remote? The page both says it does and it doesnt.
Yes it does, it just isn't the Voice remote that comes w/ the full Fire TV.
Old 12-03-14, 02:26 PM   #72
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shoot, I guess I won't be shouting "Gary Busey!" much in my house. Well, no more than usual.
Old 12-03-14, 02:39 PM   #73
DVD Talk Hero

You can use your Smart Phone for it if you must
Old 12-04-14, 05:06 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by story View Post
Shoot, I guess I won't be shouting "Gary Busey!" much in my house. Well, no more than usual.

that was funny. Good job!
Old 12-06-14, 07:20 AM   #75
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ours showed up yesterday, about a week ahead of schedule. Setup was easy enough, although I agree that Wi-Fi on this thing does not seem to be great, as it was grumbling about the connection speeds while it was downloading a software update (funny, the other three wireless devices in the room have no issues). It was already programmed with our Amazon account information, which was nice.

I am less than impressed with the layout and responsiveness of the interface, but Netflix and Prime Instant Video worked fine in limited testing. It will see a lot of use over the next month on road trips, so I'll post some additional thoughts later.