Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk
Reload this Page >

MGM+ streaming service (formerly EPIX NOW)

Community
Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-18, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

http://variety.com/2018/digital/news...ce-1202711712/

Premium cable network Epix has plans to launch a standalone, direct-to-consumer video subscription service, revealed the network’s executive VP and GM Monty Sahran in a conversation with Variety this week. “Direct-to-consumer is very important,” he said. “We will be in that space.”

Sahran made these remarks during a conversation about Epix’s upcoming support for 4K Ultra HD video, which is scheduled to launch this year. He didn’t commit to a launch date for the standalone offering, or comment on any pricing plans, and said that Epix was currently prioritizing extending its existing distribution agreements with traditional TV operators with a goal of full distribution across U.S. TV homes.

However, he also made no secret out of his desire to ultimately sell Epix directly as well. “It’s on our roadmap and we are working towards it,” he said.

Such a move would mimic efforts of competing premium cable networks, most of which have launched their own Netflix-like online video subscription services in recent years. HBO, Starz and Showtime all sell their own branded standalone streaming services, both through the digital storefronts of companies like Amazon, Google and Apple as well as with the help of internet service operators.

Some of these efforts have been quite successful: HBO Now reportedly has more than 5 million subscribers, and CBS has said that its digital services Showtime Now and CBS All Access have a combined 5 million subscribers.

Epix, which launched in late 2009 as a joint-venture between MGM, Paramount and Lionsgate, has instead thus far opted to work with existing online video services. The network struck an early distribution deal with Netflix in 2010, and subsequently licensed its catalog to Hulu and Amazon. “We were born with digital DNA,” said Sahran about these early partnerships with online video services. Epix was a streaming pioneer by licensing its content on a white-label basis, he said. “People forget that we were there first.”

Last year, MGM bought out Lionsgate and Paramount to become the sole owner of Epix. Sahran said that both companies shared a similar culture, including a clear focus on movies as the centerpiece of Epix’s programming. “We have been committed to a big movie strategy,” he said. In addition, MGM is going to supply Epix with original series that will help to acquire new customers. To this end, Epix recently hired TV veteran Nancy Cotton to head original programming.

Epix is also looking to differentiate itself from the competition by being early to embrace 4K. The network announced Tuesday that Epix subscribers will be able to watch movies and TV shows in 4K some time this year. Subscribers will be able to stream 4K titles via video on demand through Epix’s apps on select devices.

First titles available in 4K will include James Bond films including “Die Another Day,” “Goldeneye,” and “The Spy Who Loved Me” as well as movies like “Star Trek Beyond” and “Transformers: The Last Knight.” The network is also going to make the Epix original series “Get Shorty” available in 4K.

Sahran said that Epix was the first TV network to offer 4K through its apps, and hinted at support for HDR down the line as well. “We are really excited about the future,” he said.

FWIW, some Epix content is available on Hulu and Amazon Prime Video. However, that could change with this new plan to offer their own paid streaming service.

I've tried free trials of Epix a few times and I like some of their content including their documentaries. Not that I really need more content, but I could be enticed if this is under $10/month.
Old 02-27-18, 03:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
re: MGM+ streaming service (formerly EPIX NOW)

I think they're overpriced as an add-on service on cable, so I doubt they'll offer this cheap. Even if they do, too many standalone streaming services already. I'd also be curious to know of those 5 million CBS subscribers, how many of those are Showtime and how many are CBS Access.
Old 02-27-18, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I give zero shits about Epix, but if this gives HBO/Showtime a kick in the dick to start offering their content in 4k via their apps, that's a game changer.

Kind of sad that Amazon/Netflix have embraced the 4k leap but they are really the only ones.

Last edited by Deftones; 02-27-18 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-27-18, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

EPIX was awesome when I first got the streaming channel but later they cut back on content and before they had thousands of movies and now I couldn't tell you how many they have.

They had everything in a certain order which made it easier to find stuff too watch. It's not like that anymore.

Adding a standalone adds to the confusion.
Old 01-30-19, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk God

You can now purchase EPIX with no cable subscription needed through Roku Channels as a standalone service. Free 30 day trial and $6/month afterwards.

https://blog.roku.com/premium-subscriptions-live

We’re making subscription streaming easy and putting you in control. With Premium Subscriptions on The Roku Channel you have the ability to browse all available content before signing-up, you get free trials for all subscriptions, you can sign-up in one-click, and enjoy simple subscription management with a single monthly bill. The addition of Premium Subscriptions makes The Roku Channel your one-stop-shop for streaming entertainment. Users who sign-up for SHOWTIME, STARZ or EPIX before March 31st will enjoy a 30-day free trial of those services on The Roku Channel.
I'm sure 99.9% of this forum doesn't have the time or budget to add another premium subscription service to your household. But, I wanted to mention it FWIW.
Old 01-31-19, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Subscribed to the 30 day free trial of EPIX last night and just to confirm there are no catches. It's a standalone subscription not tied to cable.

I'll try to finish Deep State and maybe continue on with Berlin station.
Old 01-31-19, 05:37 PM
Banned by request

Tempting. Do they still have the Bond movies in 4K?
Old 01-31-19, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by E Unit
Tempting. Do they still have the Bond movies in 4K?
The James Bond movies are no longer on EPIX or any streaming service right now.
Old 02-01-19, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

As will all new streaming services, do they have enough original/exclusive content to justify a monthly subscription?
Old 02-01-19, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
As will all new streaming services, do they have enough original/exclusive content to justify a monthly subscription?
EPIX only got into original programming about 2-2 1/2 years ago with Berlin Station. Aside from Berlin Station, they only have Get Shorty and Deep State. Deep State is actually a foreign production, which they license. I think their main draw as of right now is new movies from MGM, Lionsgate and Paramount, which no other cable channel has. They also have some original documentaries.
Old 02-01-19, 11:01 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by DJariya
The James Bond movies are no longer on EPIX or any streaming service right now.
Looks like some Bond movies are now streaming on Netflix, and some on Hulu, albeit not in 4K.
Old 02-02-19, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spectrum is dropping Epix from it's Gold package(along with Cinemax) and I doubt if I will go the stand alone route because there isn't much of a selection.
Old 02-10-19, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

The standalone EPIX streaming service is now officially launched. It's called EPIX Now. As I already mentioned, the service is already available through Roku with a free 30 day trial.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/epix-no...ms-1202553644/

EPIX, the premium TV network owned by Metro Goldwyn Mayer (MGM), has launched EPIX NOW, the network’s new streaming service available through partner app stores.

Starting today, the service features MGM’s full library of original programming and blockbuster movies. The app is available for download today in the App store for iPhone, iPad and Apple TV, and in Google Play for Android phones and tablets. It will also be coming soon to Roku devices and Amazon Fire TV. The service will continue rolling out across additional devices over the course of the year.

EPIX NOW costs $5.99 per month and will also give subscribers the ability to access the network’s new original series, including Pennyworth, which tells the origin story of Batman’s butler, Alfred; Godfather of Harlem, starring Forest Whitaker; Perpetual Grace, LTD. from MGM featuring Sir Ben Kingsley; docu-series PUNK from Iggy Pop; and Elvis Goes There, with Elvis Mitchell.

Subscribers will also be able to watch returning seasons of the original series Get Shorty, Berlin Station and Deep State, as well as thousands of hit Hollywood movies and classic film franchises. New customers can subscribe directly from their iPhone, iPad, Apple TV or Android device through in-app purchase in the EPIX NOW app.

Users will have the ability to stream content from the app to any connected TV screen, download movies and episodes for offline viewing, and have access to continually updated curated collections, trailers and more, as well as 4K Ultra HD streaming on supported devices. All four EPIX linear live channels are also available today through EPIX NOW on select connected TV devices, including Apple TV.

“2019 is poised to be an incredible year of growth for our network,” said Michael Wright, President, EPIX. “Launching EPIX Now and providing consumers nationwide with access to our premium original programming and blockbuster movies is an exciting moment for our company and solidifies our commitment to bring high-level storytelling to as many people as possible. We look forward to welcoming new audiences to our network.”

“EPIX has always been committed to reaching consumers wherever and however they want to watch content,” added EPIX EVP and General Manager, Monty Sarhan. “We’re incredibly excited that EPIX NOW expands our national footprint through new partnerships and allows EPIX fans to continue to watch the shows they know and love anywhere, anytime.”

Last edited by DJariya; 02-10-19 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 02-10-19, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk God

One thing to keep in mind. With EPIX launching their own service this likely means that they will end their contracts with Hulu and Amazon for their movies. So it would not surprise me if within the next 6 months you see a shit load of movies leaving Hulu and Amazon. No way do they want to keep their content with a competitor now that they have their own standalone service.
Old 02-18-19, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit

Looks like some Bond movies are now streaming on Netflix, and some on Hulu, albeit not in 4K.
Amazon has them too and at least one is 4K. Might be Dr No.
Old 02-19-19, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When is Epix Now going to be available on Roku?
Old 02-19-19, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
When is Epix Now going to be available on Roku?
Not yet.

But, I mentioned earlier here that Roku channels is selling it. Just add Roku Channels and you can purchase EPIX in it. There's a free 30 day trial.
Old 02-20-19, 08:42 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll likely check out the Roku Channels option for EPIX - they typically have a good movie selection and I've been meaning to check out their scripted dramas.
Old 03-28-19, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk God

FYI
EPIX Now is available is a standalone app on the Roku. It has a 7-day free trial.

If you sign up with EPIX Now, you'll have access to the app on multiple devices with your EPIX log-in. Plus, it has 4 live channels vs. only 2 on the Roku channels version.

Same price for both. I went ahead and signed up for the standalone version and cancelled the Roku version.
Old 03-28-19, 03:58 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Thanks. I may check it out for the Punk doc.
Old 03-28-19, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk God

I like the interface on the EPIX Now app better than through the Roku channels hub.

FYI, only 2 movies are available in 4K. Arrival and Death Wish right now. I'm sure more will be added in the future.
Old 03-29-19, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
FYI
EPIX Now is available is a standalone app on the Roku. It has a 7-day free trial.

If you sign up with EPIX Now, you'll have access to the app on multiple devices with your EPIX log-in. Plus, it has 4 live channels vs. only 2 on the Roku channels version.

Same price for both. I went ahead and signed up for the standalone version and cancelled the Roku version.
Do people who get the standalone Epix Now channel on Roku get access to everything that Epix offers online?
Old 03-29-19, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Yes. Everything on EPIX is on the app.
Old 03-30-19, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see the Vault section(that's available on the Roku Channel version) on EPIX Now. I am looking at the front page side bar and no mention of a Vault section. Maybe it will be added in the coming weeks.

Looks like there are a lot less movies also on EPIX Now compared to the Roku Channel version.

I guess then that the two added channels on EPIX Now is the trade off for not having a bigger selection compared to the Roku Channel version.

I am watching EPIX Channel 2 (EPIX Now)and there is no video only audio so there still seems to be some bugs in there app,however I am watching it on an older Roku device.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.