Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Paramount+ with Showtime - ViacomCBS streaming service

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-15, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: CBS Launches $5.99 A Month Subscription Streaming Service

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
It takes about an hour to watch 45 minute shows that have commericals. Basically the same commercial over and over again.
So it's basically just like TV, but worse since you can't FF through the commercials. why would anyone pay $6/mo for this?
Old 06-08-15, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
It takes about an hour to watch 45 minute shows that have commericals. Basically the same commercial over and over again.
Sounds about the same as watching CBS (and most other networks') shows on my Comcast on-demand service.
Old 06-08-15, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Commercials = No Sale.

I cannot stand commercials...in any way shape or form.

Netflix/Amazon and VUDU do just fine by me.

Cable TV cut in July 2014.
Old 06-08-15, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
So it's basically just like TV, but worse since you can't FF through the commercials. why would anyone pay $6/mo for this?
The classics(or older shows) have no commercials.

Last edited by dvd-4-life; 06-08-15 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-29-15, 10:51 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yeah, but another question is, how many separate streaming services are people willing to pay for to get the specific content they want?

If every freaking major network, basic or premium channel starts their own service, the costs are going to add up for households. Would someone be willing to shell out $10-15 per month each for separate AMC, TNT, FX, or Showtime services? Then there is the question of whether it will be live streaming or on demand. And will the on demand content have commercials like Hulu and now CBS?
This has been my main issue with the cord cutting thing... unless you only watch a handful of networks it will ultimately be more expensive to stream them all separately AND more of a pain in the ass because you'll have to deal with all these different websites/apps/logins/pay cycles/etc. instead of having them under one roof.
Old 06-29-15, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Cord cutting is more for people that don't care too terribly much. Cable is great for people that watch a boatload of television, not so much for some of us that just casually watch TV and don't mind missing out on a few shows here or there.

CBS is free over the air in most places, as is ABC, Fox, NBC, etc; so that's actually even less of an issue. I see this as "CBS Extra".
Old 06-29-15, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I did the free trial of this when it started- good news is that there are NO logo bugs on the screen and the shows have the full end credits. Bad news is that the picture is overcompressed and as usual, video-based material isn't at the full frame rate, and sound is only 2-channel. Oh yeah, and the commercials are EXTREMELY repetitive! Since CBS owns the local affiliate here, you can also watch a low-quality stream of that with it (in 2-channel sound, at the wrong frame rate and a few seconds behind the TV broadcast), but I don't know why you would want to.

Decent amount of classic shows available too, but not worth the asking price.
Old 06-29-15, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm trying this now to get the Big Brother live feeds. One interesting thing I did not know is that this works with Chromecast. And like most of things with Chromecast, I find the video to be a lot better when cast rather than watching directly from the app. It's still 2 channel though.

Like Alan said, the commercials suck. I can't figure out why services that insist on having commercials can't have more than 1-2 of the same ones over & over.
Old 06-29-15, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
I'm trying this now to get the Big Brother live feeds. One interesting thing I did not know is that this works with Chromecast. And like most of things with Chromecast, I find the video to be a lot better when cast rather than watching directly from the app. It's still 2 channel though.

Like Alan said, the commercials suck. I can't figure out why services that insist on having commercials can't have more than 1-2 of the same ones over & over.
I think they still sell ad time in the traditional manner, for specific programs. And sales appear to be a little slow overall in adopting online advertising for TV shows.
Old 09-22-15, 06:59 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

One Month Free Trial

http://www.cbs.com/all-access/?cbsci...v&promo=falltv
Old 10-09-15, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

New one-month free trial using code BDAY1, expires 10/23.
Old 10-10-15, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I don't knock them for charging a monthly fee for the service except my opinion is it should be for past episodes only. I would have expected them to provide the latest episodes (up to a number of weeks) for free just like they provide clips now and only charge for anything older than that.
Old 10-12-15, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

They don't have full runs of all the shows I checked. I Love Lucy even skips around episodes. Any comprehensive list of what they have? Underwhelmed.
Old 10-12-15, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
They don't have full runs of all the shows I checked. I Love Lucy even skips around episodes. Any comprehensive list of what they have? Underwhelmed.
They don't have all of the Perry Mason shows ,either.

I can sorta see why they do this. If they released every episode of every season,there would be no need to subscribe after watching all your favorite shows.

I don't know what they have in store for programming(stuff that has yet too be shown).
Old 02-08-16, 02:16 AM

I was hoping CBS All Access would fizzle out and the shows would end up on Hulu. But that looks doubtful now.

Exclusive: With full power at CBS, CEO Moonves sees more aggressive move to digital

CBS Corp CEO Leslie Moonves, who was given the additional title of executive chairman this week, is planning more original content and looking at taking some of his network's shows off the air and putting them exclusively on its subscription-based CBS All Access service, to compete with the growing popularity of Netflix and Hulu.

It is a bold but not sudden move for the traditional television executive running a network known for its older viewers, who approached the digital TV revolution gingerly but is now pushing his company to its forefront.

The network's push to ramp up its online All Access service - which offers its shows on PCs, tablets and smartphones for $5.99 a month - comes as media companies are rethinking their business models and their relationships with streaming video providers, treating them more like competitors than allies.

-----------------------------

Moonves is also considering putting shows on All Access from the CW Network, its joint venture with Time Warner Inc's Warner Bros, which produced the offbeat hits "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" and "Jane the Virgin." Ultimately, Moonves said he wants the service to include content from its Showtime subsidiary, best known for "Homeland" and "Dexter," and possibly shows from other partners.

He would not say which CBS shows would be candidates for exclusive distribution on the All Access service, but suggested it would be original content and shows that have an avid fan base but not necessarily high ratings.

CBS already said last year that its new "Star Trek" series, scheduled for 2017, would premiere on the network then switch exclusively to All Access.

Moonves said CBS could have sold "Star Trek" to Netflix, Amazon or Hulu for "a pretty nice profit," but instead is betting that it will attract more mobile-savvy viewers willing to pay for subscriptions, which he hopes will be more valuable in the long term.

----------------------------------

It is unclear how exactly the CBS All Access service, which launched 18 months ago, is doing. The network will not disclose how many subscribers the service has, but Jefferies analyst John Janedis estimates it is around 500,000. That is a fraction of Netflix's tens of millions of viewers.

Moonves believes his relative success in the digital realm may be down to the skepticism he brings from a pre-smartphone era, and not just saying yes to new ideas.

Looking back, he is glad CBS said no to buying a stake in online streaming service Hulu, saying his team convinced him it did not make sense and that CBS would be better off controlling its own content.

Moonves admits he was worried about losing ratings, upsetting the network's affiliates and cannibalizing its business with the launch of All Access, but is now fully behind it.

"We are investing in the future of All Access, which we think is an important part of our future," he said.

FULL ARTICLE - http://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-full...--finance.html
I guess I don't mind. I just want a commercial-free option.
Old 02-09-16, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is CBS All Access without commercials?
Old 02-09-16, 09:38 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Chasing shows from one service to another will get really old really quick. And who's going to want to pay for so many damn services.
Old 02-09-16, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3
Is CBS All Access without commercials?
The current season shows have commericals.

They aren't suppose too be on the classic shows but I was getting one before Perry Mason.
Old 05-09-16, 01:41 AM

CBS All Access is offering a One Month Free Trial

http://cordcuttersnews.com/deal-aler...bs-all-access/
Old 05-09-16, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I'm probably one of the few people here who subscribe to this service. But, I watched a few episodes of the current season of Blue Bloods today and the commercial breaks aren't that bad. It's only about 90 seconds tops. That's almost equivalent to Hulu with commercials.

That's far better than watching CBS.com, which shows almost 3+ minutes of commercials at every break.

I know the big hang up with most here is if you're paying to view the content, you shouldn't have to view ads at all.
Old 05-09-16, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure on all of their classic programming but Perry Mason season 2 had missing episodes. That's one of the main reason's I stopped the service.
Old 05-11-16, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm so sick of paying for a service and having to deal with commercials.

XM Radio is getting worse on the comedy channels...and I'm about to drop them. I'll stick with my iPod.

No thanks to anything with commercials where I have to also pay a subscription. VUDU/Netflix are just fine with me.
Old 05-11-16, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Basically the service is saying that subscription fees aren't high enough to pay the bills by themselves. So then they should offer a higher-priced version without ads, though maybe it would take engineering work to make that happen.
Old 05-11-16, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveO

No thanks to anything with commercials where I have to also pay a subscription. VUDU/Netflix are just fine with me.
Netflix though will be probably be $15-20 a month by the end of the decade as every big media corp tries to create their own Netflix or Hulu and Netflix is either shut out of content or have to pay 4-5 times what they do now.
Old 08-18-16, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

http://www.thewrap.com/cbs-may-strip...g-for-a-price/

This article is from earlier in the year, but it says that CBS may offer a $9.99 per month commercial free option.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.