Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Apple TV Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-17, 05:46 PM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts
Re: The Apple TV Thread

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh
I'm curious how Apple handles this upgrade. Will it be any HD titles in your account from up until a certain date.
I'm guessing that it'll be similar to how they do it now. There will be an HD and SD option. And all HD titles will be 4K HDR.
Old 09-13-17, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It sounds like any HD title that you own, which has a 4K version available from the studio, will be upgraded. I'm really hoping it's not limited to straight purchases, instead of also upgrading code redemptions.
Old 09-14-17, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the amazon prime video app already available on the ATV4?
Old 09-15-17, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Apple is already starting to do UHD upgrades for people. Vudu had better follow!
Old 09-17-17, 01:43 AM
Banned - I'm a Racist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea a few of mine have already been upgraded. It's weird as some haven't such as Sicario, The Martian etc
Old 09-17-17, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I have none at this point. Don't know if it's because there is nothing I have that has UHD. Could also be my stuff hasn't updated "yet". Or maybe my collection is stuck at HD.
Old 11-02-17, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The new Beta software for the Apple 4K addressed one of my biggest issues. There is now a setting you can turn on to match frame rate and HDR based on the content you are watching.
Old 11-02-17, 11:14 AM

Does the VUDU app have 4K support yet? Early reviews say it didn’t, wondering if they updated it yet. I’d rather not rebuy Wonder Woman on iTunes if I already have the UHD version on
VUDU.
Old 11-02-17, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by -BeeJay-
Does the VUDU app have 4K support yet? Early reviews say it didn’t, wondering if they updated it yet. I’d rather not rebuy Wonder Woman on iTunes if I already have the UHD version on
VUDU.
If you own a UHD Vudu copy, won’t it play in 4K via iTunes? IIRC that’s what Apple had stated.
Old 11-02-17, 01:10 PM

No, movies ported over via Movies Anywhere will only play in HD. Even though iTunes shows I have Wonder Woman in UHD, when I try to play it it’ll only play in HD. There’s videos of this online.
Old 11-02-17, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, movies ported over via Movies Anywhere will only play in HD. Even though iTunes shows I have Wonder Woman in UHD, when I try to play it it’ll only play in HD. There’s videos of this online.
Hopefully they get that straightened out soon since according to Apple they are supposed to be playing in 4K if you own the UHD copy.
Old 11-03-17, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's true. Says it right here on their site: https://help.moviesanywhere.com/hc/e...-3D-4K-or-HDR-

With that said, has anyone tried to reach out to iTunes support to resolve this? They have been very helpful with my iTunes account.
Old 01-03-18, 02:36 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

All my UHD movies from VUDU are in 4K on iTunes. But not all movies that are in 4K on iTunes will become available through a redemption code using Movies Everywhere.

Here’s a list of such movies:

https://help.moviesanywhere.com/hc/e...vies-Anywhere-
Old 02-27-18, 11:26 PM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts

First Gen Apple TV's and Windows XP/Vista computers are going to lose access to iTunes.

The First-Gen Apple TV to Lose Access to iTunes

iTunes Store dropping support for Windows XP and Vista in May
Old 02-28-18, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Obsolescence with forced hardware or software upgrades.... Not always on purpose but always upsetting for those forced to upgrade.
Old 02-28-18, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

It's because e-commerce transactions (like the iTunes Store) are required to drop support for TLS 1.0 connections by June 30, 2018, according to the industry-wide PCI DSS 3.2 standards. XP and Vista do not support TLS 1.1+ connections.
Old 10-05-20, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 433 Likes on 297 Posts

Apple and Disney worked out their issue around 4K streaming on the Apple platform.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020...tv-and-itunes/

All my previous 4K Movies Anywhere redemptions that were only in HD (but in 4K on MA/VUDU) were upgraded.
Old 10-05-20, 04:28 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I also just had a bunch of movies that aren't Disney/Fox upgrade to 4K (non 4K on Vudu or other formats but MA, and not purchased or redeemed on Apple). Some include:
Close Encounters
Fury Road
Pitch Perfect Series
Mummy Series
Blockers
Game Night
Full Metal Jacket
Hot Fuzz
Bram Stoker Dracula
Taxi Driver
Alien

Old 03-17-21, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

BVS Ultimate Edition now has the scenes in IMAX in the 1.43:1 aspect ratio. You also get Atmos sound. I only ever had the HD version and it upgraded to Atmos and the new AR. No 4K DV upgrade, though.

Old 12-12-23, 07:16 AM

Apple released tvOS 17.2 yesterday. They redesigned the TV app moving navigation to a sidebar. They also killed off the iTunes Movies/TV Show apps. They are still there but redirect to the TV app.

https://bgr.com/tech/hands-on-with-n...vos-17-2-beta/

Update... I played around with it and I see one issue with the way they've depreciated the individual Movie/TV apps. The TV app (at least for movies) has always gone directly to the movie or movie menu. Now that this is the only way to access your content you can no longer see what version (HD/4K/etc) you have. I looked in settings and no way to change it.

Last edited by Meathead; 12-12-23 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Update
Old 12-19-23, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Meathead
Apple released tvOS 17.2 yesterday. They redesigned the TV app moving navigation to a sidebar. They also killed off the iTunes Movies/TV Show apps. They are still there but redirect to the TV app.

https://bgr.com/tech/hands-on-with-n...vos-17-2-beta/

Update... I played around with it and I see one issue with the way they've depreciated the individual Movie/TV apps. The TV app (at least for movies) has always gone directly to the movie or movie menu. Now that this is the only way to access your content you can no longer see what version (HD/4K/etc) you have. I looked in settings and no way to change it.
I was going to post about this last week. I hate the new design. As you pointed out, there's no longer a menu page for a movie you own unless the movie in question has bonus features. Also, the store is much harder to navigate and (for me at least) doesn't always load all the images (a reboot sometimes helps/sometimes doesn't).

Furthermore, as you noted, the old Movie and TV apps now just redirect to the Apple TV + app (where your movie/TV collection and the movie/TV store now reside); however, there's currently NO WAY to delete these two useless apps.
Old 12-19-23, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I was going to post about this last week. I hate the new design. As you pointed out, there's no longer a menu page for a movie you own unless the movie in question has bonus features. Also, the store is much harder to navigate and (for me at least) doesn't always load all the images (a reboot sometimes helps/sometimes doesn't).

Furthermore, as you noted, the old Movie and TV apps now just redirect to the Apple TV + app (where your movie/TV collection and the movie/TV store now reside); however, there's currently NO WAY to delete these two useless apps.
I was able to catch my main Apple TV before it updated to 17.2. I don't plan on updating unless Apple kills the Movie/TV apps on the backend and they no longer work. My guess is a later update (assuming Apple doesn't reverse course... yeah right) will remove those apps once people know to go to the TV+ app.

If you use the TV app on the iPhone and go to your library, it still gives you the info page without jumping into the movie/menu. At least, for now, it's an option to see what version you have or other info without finding it in the TV+ store.
Old 12-20-23, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Moving this post from the other Apple thread as it is more suited here.

My God this new Apple TV interface is terrible. Basically no browsability, especially for TV shows. You can't preview episodes anymore that I can see. My movies wish list is gone. Major fail here.

Another of the many things I have about the new interface is when you bring up a movie in your library it doesn't show you the run time anymore which is something I take into account a lot of the time when picking out something to watch.
This is absolute trash, I wish there was a way to roll back my Apple TV to the previous version.

The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (12-20-23)