Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Apple TV Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-15, 05:28 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: The Apple TV Thread

i have a feeling billing will go through HBO.
For the first 3 months, it will only be viewable on AppleTV and iOS devices.

floodgates open after that.
Old 03-16-15, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Apple said to introduce a subscription TV service before the end of this year. However, people expect the price to be in the $30 to $40 range per month and NBC is not one of the TV networks that would make their channel available.

http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-said-...o-in-the-fall/
Old 03-16-15, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

presumably for Apple Devices only?
Old 03-17-15, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup. For all IOS devices.
Old 03-22-15, 05:04 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Lots of rumors going around that the next gen AppleTV will be announced at WWDC in June. Along with the obvious hardware upgrades (more power/storage), there's expected to be Siri voice control, an App Store, and support for home automation devices.

Here Comes The Long Awaited New Apple TV

Earlier this week, the Wall Street Journal reported that the subscription internet TV service Apple’s been trying to get off the ground since 2009 appears to be finally headed to market. And now sources familiar with the company’s plans tell BuzzFeed News that a successor to its dusty and recently discounted Apple TV set top box is headed to market as well. Apple intends to show the device off at its annual World Wide Developers Conference in June along with a long-awaited App Store and a software development kit to help developers populate it.

Sources say Apple’s new Apple TV is a significant overhaul of the device, one intended to undergird Apple’s vision of what the TV viewing experience should be, and to raise the table stakes in a set-top box market cluttered with barely differentiated devices from Amazon, Roku, and others. If I’m understanding the company’s strategy correctly, the new Apple TV isn’t just a play for a stake of the streaming TV market, but for the mythical digital living room. Think TV, music, apps and a little bit of home automation as well.

As for the new Apple TV box itself, expect an updated design and new innards: the company’s latest A8 system-on-chip — or a variant of it: a dramatic increase in on-board storage to accommodate app — well beyond the 8GB in the current device; and an improved operating system that will support Siri voice control of Apple TV, and enable it remotely for a selection of Homekit-enabled home automation devices, as earlier reports have suggested. Presumably it will also feature a new remote.

No word yet on price, though it will obviously be more than the current Apple TV, which recently had its price trimmed to $69 from $99 to make room for its successor. Note that Apple’s Web site now lists the device as “starting at $69.”

FULL ARTICLE - http://www.buzzfeed.com/johnpaczkows...th-app-store-s
Old 04-05-15, 11:20 PM

The next Apple TV won't play 4K video

The long-rumored Apple TV update is expected to do many things, including run apps and stream a TV service, but there's one thing it isn't expected to do: play 4K video. A source for BuzzFeed News' John Paczkowski (who's historically accurate with such rumors) claims that Apple's upcoming media hub will stick to 1080p because 4K technology is "still in its infancy." While the A8 chip rumored to be in the device can handle the ultra-high resolution, the market just isn't there yet. Even Amazon and Netflix don't have a lot of 4K content, and there's also the question of finding enough people with both compatible TVs and sufficiently speedy internet access. That's disappointing if you were hoping to get a truly future-proof box, but it's hard to see Apple investing a lot of money into services that you probably won't use for a while.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/05/n...next-apple-tv/
Old 04-07-15, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

I got my device yesterday and for some reason it is only playing audio on certain apps. Ones like Youtube, History, and FX are doing fine, but HBO and Netflix have no sound.
Old 04-15-15, 09:54 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Stupid Apple TV gives a splash / promo screen about HBO Now when i go to airplay something and have to go to the remote app to 'click' the Continue button to close it in order to play my video
Old 05-13-15, 06:41 PM

AppleTV has added the USA Now app. You have to authenticate your TV provider.

They have the complete seasons for:

Suits: Season 4
Chrisley Knows Best: Season 2
Satisfaction: Season 1
Dig: Season 1

Other shows like White Collar, Sirens, Graceland, Burn Notice and Benched are just a handful of recent episodes.
Old 05-13-15, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Chrisly Knows Best is proof that there is no God.
Old 05-19-15, 04:42 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Troubleshooting question. Just set up apple tv. Everything runs great. I can stream music.

Hulu works, I'm watching a show right now, but Netflix won't work at all. I can't even get past the "set up account" screen. It says "Netflix not available at this time."

Again, Hulu works but Netflix is dead. What's the deal?
Old 05-19-15, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's weird. Are you using a service like Unblock Us? I don't see why Netflix would not work if you are in the US and not changing location.
Old 05-19-15, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had recent issues with it just giving me an error when I want to watch an episode of a show, I usually just unplug and reboot and it solves the problem.
Old 05-19-15, 08:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
That's weird. Are you using a service like Unblock Us? I don't see why Netflix would not work if you are in the US and not changing location.
I'm in the US and I don't even know what Unblock Us is so I don't think I'm using it. I think the device may be faulty. I have 3 days to return.
Old 05-19-15, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Have you reboot it like Quack indicated? Unplug it. Wait at least 10 seconds and reboot it. See if that works. If not exchange it.
Old 05-20-15, 12:48 PM
Banned

I've rebooted it and everything else. Several times. Going to try a Roku today.
Old 05-28-15, 08:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any thoughts on the expecting Apple TV refresh at WWDC on June 8th? Word is that it will have an app store, a new remote with a touchpad, an A8 chip, but will not handle 4K video. It's also rumored to be the hub for HomeKit, which would be great instead of having multiple hubs for different products. And the other big rumor is that it's going to debut with Apple's cable alternative TV subscription service.
Old 05-29-15, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Those all sound legit, the biggest features being the App Store and HomeKit compatibility. I think the HomeKit is less likely but still plausible.

I'll jump on board Apple TV if the AppStore proves to be solid.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-29-15 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-29-15, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Having an app store would be great, especially if I can use Spotify. I have no use for HomeKit right now, but that would be a pretty cool integration.
Old 05-29-15, 07:03 PM

Hopefully the app store will open up their closed ecosystem. It would be nice to get Vudu and Amazon on ATV. And smaller services like AcornTV and FUNimation.

I'm also looking forward to hearing about the TV service. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

I hope they keep the device under $100.
Old 06-01-15, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Any thoughts on the expecting Apple TV refresh at WWDC on June 8th? Word is that it will have an app store, a new remote with a touchpad, an A8 chip, but will not handle 4K video. It's also rumored to be the hub for HomeKit, which would be great instead of having multiple hubs for different products. And the other big rumor is that it's going to debut with Apple's cable alternative TV subscription service.
Thanks for posting...I'm so frustrated with my Roku in my bar...I was just about to buy Apple TV. But now I'll wait at least till the announcement and see if there is an update....
Old 06-03-15, 12:27 PM

Apple Subscription TV Service Won’t Be Announced Next Week

Apple won’t be announcing its much-anticipated subscription TV service next week at its Worldwide Developer Conference, according to several people with knowledge of the situation.

The Cupertino technology company has told network executives the planned unveiling will be postponed because Apple has yet to finalize the licensing deals. Industry executives predict Apple’s Web TV offering may not launch until later this year, or in 2016. Technology and money issues remain sticking points.

Apple wanted to launch a subscription TV service in early fall to coincide with the start of the new broadcast television season. But the debut got bogged down by negotiations over financial terms and new technology that would be required for broadcasters to deliver local programming to Apple’s Web TV service.

The company wants to provide customers in cities around the U.S. with programming from their local broadcast stations. That would distinguish Apple’s planned offering from those already available from Sony and Dish’s Sling, which to date have only offered local programming in a handful of cities, or none at all.

FULL ARTICLE - http://recode.net/2015/06/01/apple-s...ced-next-week/
Old 06-03-15, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It hasn't been confirmed yet but rumours are that the redesigned Apple TV won't be debuting on WWDC either.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/06/03/...or-wwdc-debut/
Old 07-19-15, 03:21 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.thestreamingadvisor.com/2...king-progress/

Apple Streaming Service Making Progress

Apple has realized that reaching out to individual channel owners may be too much to take on. Instead the company is reaching out to the main network’s themselves and letting them negotiate with their affiliates as the company works to bring about a streaming TV service. This is a very important step for Apple because it makes the long rumored streaming service appear far more possible. Apple has been in the headlines for months concerning a streaming service that would offer local affiliate feeds, a key factor for many on the fence concerning whether to drop cable. By providing local affiliate access it gives users the potential to see not just local news coverage via streaming but local and regional sports teams.

How is Apple making this possible?
As of right now Apple is negotiating directly with CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox. CW, another broadcast network is owned by CBS. By working with networks instead of reaching out to hundreds of affiliates individually Apple farms out the responsibility of negotiating for streaming rights to entities with existing relationships and connections. According to the New York Post the plan is working out. While Apple has been quiet on the streaming hardware side of things it has worked feverishly to build relationships going forward. It’s negotiation with HBO to be the exclusive launch partner for HBO Now worked out great for both parties with HBO seeing its app become a top seller in the iTunes store. Apple TV got a major boost spurred by both a price drop and the HBO offer the device rose to the number 3 selling streaming device on Amazon despite its age.

What do affiliates get out of the deal?
The plan which includes revenue sharing between Apple and the affiliates is gaining traction. If Apple is able to put this together it stands to be a major addition to the streaming space and may effectively end Sony’s experiment in this space and stop the recently announced “Comcast Stream” right in its tracks. Apple has never released details as to exactly wich cable channels would be involved with the service but considering the willingness that cable channels have shown to work with Sling and Sony Vue I don’t think Apple will have a great deal of trouble working out deals with a host of other partners.
Old 07-26-15, 08:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't believe Apple ever tried to negotiate with individual affiliates.

I recently purchased an Apple TV solely for streaming music to my receiver. I'll also use it to watch Apple keynotes going forward, but otherwise I see nothing about it that my Roku doesn't already do better.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.