Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Fandango at Home (Vudu) Thread - News, Bargains & Codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-15, 09:24 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts
Re: The VUDU Thread - News, Bargains & UV Codes

Originally Posted by RichC2
Even the most staunch "GO DIGITAL!" fanboy has to balk at spending $20 for digital only copies that are often included for free with the blu-ray/retail release.
$20 is over my limit. But I don't mind paying $15 if I really want to see the movie. I'll probably get the early release of Kingsman. And I've ordered a few others in the past.

People say "Just buy the Blu-ray + Digital HD". But the reason a lot of Vudu users have gone digital is because they don't want the Blu-rays. I'm trying to get rid of the ones I already have.
Old 04-22-15, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Traitorous bastard . We trusted you, and you have stabbed us in the back .

I agree about the pricing issue. As a physical media holdout, it's that that really makes me balk. Why in God's name would I pay full price? You want me, who works brick and mortar retail while the middle class is rotting away thanks to the Internet, to pay the same price? Nope. Don't think so. If I could get digital releases for $5? Maybe. That would be a hell of a stronger incentive. But if everything is going into "the cloud," then I don't want to pay full price for it. And there is no way I am paying $5-$6 for a RENTAL. That's nuts.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 04-22-15 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-22-15, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Even the most staunch "GO DIGITAL!" fanboy has to balk at spending $20 for digital only copies that are often included for free with the blu-ray/retail release. I personally think they have it backwards and should re-initiate a 1 month "rental phase" for digital releases instead of selling them only.
I am a digital fan, and I definitely never spend $20. I'll wait until a code hits around $5 online (usually less) and then I'll buy it. Patience is key.
Old 04-22-15, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Traitorous bastard . We trusted you, and you have stabbed us in the back .

I agree about the pricing issue. As a physical media holdout, it's that's really makes me balk. Why in God's name would I pay full price? You want me, who works brick and mortar retail while the middle class is rotting away thanks to the Internet, to pay the same price? Nope. Don't think so. If I could get digital releases for $5? Maybe. That would be a hell of a stronger incentive. But if everything is going into "the cloud," then I don't want to pay full price for it. And there is no way I am paying $5-$6 for a RENTAL. That's nuts.
I'd probably pay for a $5 - $6 rental if the movie was out a month before retail, or still in theaters, but yeah when you compete with Red Box, it's absurdly high. I'm a big supporter of the digital only movement (I also don't like owning blu-rays very much anymore) but you really do get a better perceived value with something physical.
Old 04-23-15, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Because they're intentionally crippling sell-thru media by releasing movies on digital first- same thing that happened with some movies on DIVX months before they were on standard DVD. I get that buying movies that way works for some people, but I simply refuse to and resent being "pushed" towards it like that.
I'm buying mostly releases on Vudu now that their HDX quality has greatly improved. DD+ sounds good to my ears and I don't have a massive surround sound setup, so I'm fine with that. Not to mention, my internet speed is about to increase to 300 mbps in 2 weeks. My disc buying days are nearly over.
Old 04-23-15, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
My disc buying days are nearly over.
Traitors! We're surrounded by backstabbing traitors .

My friends a tower have all transferred to different departments, my friends online have betrayed he very name of the website, I'm surrounded by so many whores I'm amazed that I don't have STDs !

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 04-23-15 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-24-15, 06:09 PM

Vudu is adding 4K streaming. I wonder how much the UHD movies will cost?

http://www.watchvudu.com/uhd/

One of the Vudu engineers posted this in the forum:

We currently anticipate (due to using more efficient HEVC codec) that UHD @ 2160p/4k will only take about 50% more bandwidth than HDX. It will probably be more like 60-70% if adding in HDR and Dolby Atmos, etc.

IMO (and in most other's opinions) HDR such as DolbyVision has a much larger impact on video quality than 4k. The extra brightness/contrast and expanded colorspace are *very* noticeable.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 04-24-15 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-24-15, 06:17 PM

You can now set a default video quality.

Also, in case you didn't notice, there is a new feature in settings to choose a "default" video quality. For example. you can choose "HD" instead of HDX to stream 720p by default; it's useful for those who buy HDX but may not have the bandwidth to watch it reliably, or those who just want to conserve their bandwidth. Of course, you can still manually change it from the player controls as before.
Old 04-25-15, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My internet speed is about to increase to 300 mbps in 2 weeks.
Where are you getting that kind of blowtorch bitrate? Providers in my area brag about 18 and 25 Mbps connections!
Old 04-26-15, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

I think Vudu has a maximum bitrate of 9 or 10 anyways- my internet speed is about 22-25, but Vudu's speed test only goes up to 9, and I still see compression artifacts on HDX video (all of the signal bars on the display are lit up during playback.)
Old 04-26-15, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I think Vudu has a maximum bitrate of 9 or 10 anyways- my internet speed is about 22-25, but Vudu's speed test only goes up to 9, and I still see compression artifacts on HDX video (all of the signal bars on the display are lit up during playback.)
While Vudu is the best "streaming" quality out there, it's still a few steps back from Blu. I don't think their 4K will be limited to 9 or 10 in the long run (Netflix is 15.6mbps).
Old 04-26-15, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While Vudu is the best "streaming" quality out there, it's still a few steps back from Blu. I don't think their 4K will be limited to 9 or 10 in the long run (Netflix is 15.6mbps).
Huh, that a significant step down from the bitrate of most Blus. Though that doesn't seem to be a turnoff for most people and I have to admit, it looks better than I ever thought that streaming could in HD. Probably good enough for most people, for better or worse. What's the rate for Amazon Instant Video to go to HD then? Vudu and Netflix HD look good to me, I still have some trouble with Amazon for some reason. I wish my damn player would show the resolution rate. Though at the moment it isn't working at all, so.... I think that Hulu tops of at 3.5 Mbps, and I'm not sure about HBO Go with my Chromecast. Some YouTube videos purport to go up to 1080. Streaming is supposed to be 24p, but my HDTV still lists it as 60p.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 04-26-15 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-28-15, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you getting that kind of blowtorch bitrate? Providers in my area brag about 18 and 25 Mbps connections!
I have Time Warner Cable in Raleigh. They claim their plan all along was to upgrade everyone's speed for free, but I think it's due to Google Fiber coming here, along with AT&T's fiber expanding. I have a 50/5 plan now, and it'll immediately jump to 300/20 in about 10 days for free.
Old 04-28-15, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have Time Warner Cable in Raleigh. They claim their plan all along was to upgrade everyone's speed for free, but I think it's due to Google Fiber coming here, along with AT&T's fiber expanding. I have a 50/5 plan now, and it'll immediately jump to 300/20 in about 10 days for free.
I hate you so much, Kenny.
Old 04-28-15, 01:29 PM

Unbroken is on sale for $4.99 (HDX)

Hot Tub Time Machine 2 (Unrated + bonus features) is on sale for $9.99 (HDX).

Old 04-28-15, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting. Wonder if that's a mistake like Google made earlier (when Interstellar, Horrible Bosses 2, Hunger Games MockingJay Pt 1, and Whiplash were all $3.99 in HD).
Old 04-28-15, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They're both listed in the Deals of the Week section, so it's not a mistake.
Old 05-01-15, 08:13 AM

Vudu has added the option to turn off the Autoplay feature.

On your Roku app, scroll over to the Settings. Go down to Autoplay Settings and disable the feature by selecting "OFF".
Old 05-01-15, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why would anyone disable autoplay functions on anything? It's so handy for lazy people like me.
Old 05-01-15, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why would anyone disable autoplay functions on anything? It's so handy for lazy people like me.
Don't you get Alan Smithee started!

Here is my take: I personally don't care about end credits (unless it has additional scenes embedded), but I can understand why some users would want as complete a version as possible of a movie. A lot of us are getting rid of physical copies to go digital, and still preserve an aspect of ownership. Having something cut short automatically by the provider makes it feel like TV, in my opinion, rather than owning a digital copy.
Old 05-01-15, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Gotcha.
Old 05-01-15, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Yep, that autoplay was AWFUL! I haven't bought any TV series anyways due to the prices, but have one season of Game of Thrones I got in an Ultraviolet trade, plus ever free episode that's been put up so far. During the last 10 seconds they would put up a countdown clock that covered almost half the screen, with NO way to turn it off, and it would end up cutting off the last second or two of the show as well- most annoying if you were watching a free promo clip and also had the first episode, as it would inevitably cut off someone mid-sentence. I hated that "feature" the very day it went up; don't know WHAT they were thinking when they did that! Thankfully they got enough complaints about it.

I actually wouldn't mind some sort of auto-play that would just play every movie in your collection until you told it to stop, but cutting off even one second of content or putting a display onscreen is unacceptable.
Old 05-02-15, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wonder if they'll ever be able to put TV shows into D2D?
Old 05-02-15, 03:17 PM

I wonder if they'll ever be able to put TV shows into D2D?
I doubt it. The D2D program seems to be running on auto-pilot. New releases that come with digital copies are added automatically. But they haven't added any catalog titles in a year or more. And there haven't been any fixes in the past year.
Old 05-02-15, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If Vudu were actually making good money from it, they'd keep it maintained. They're probably just keeping it around, but it must've not taken off much. I suppose I can always hunt for UV codes on eBay.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.