Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

PlayLater - pure awesomeness.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-13, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
PlayLater - pure awesomeness.

So I wanted to get PlayOn and they had a $40 Lifetime special and for $20 more you got PlayLater Lifetime. So got it on a whim.

I was blown away. You select a channel, then content, then "record" it and once downloaded, you can view it anywhere, you get a choice of file types. They have tons of channels and users can add more via plug-ins that could not be easier to install - download, double-click, re-start server, done.

Downloaded the third episode of The Biggest Loser and was pleasantly surprised that it has subtitles if you turn them on using Windows Media Player. Was not expecting that. And it has commercials but you can just skip them by advancing on the file position. Downloading a bunch of shows as we speak, found tons of "Human Weapon" shows about different combat styles and such and another show called "Taboo" which seems promising also. There is so much content to get it's unbelievable. Definitely worth 20 bucks. Even 60. It even does Netflix recording although I didn't try it out (and they got around the legality by referencing VCR and such).

So you can't really record shows online, it's a download service really, but the content is jaw-dropping and I haven't even begun to scratch the surface. Very easy to find full episodes vs. clips and even has a search option.

Awesomeness.

I love being able to set The Biggest Loser to download and watch later because there's no hiccups or skips and no commercials and I can pause and resume any time without triggering a commercial. It's now my preferred way to watch.

Here are the built-in channels: * denotes subscription needed.

Pandora
YouTube
HBO GO *
Hulu (* for plus)
Netflix *
ABC
Adult Swim
A&E
Amazon VOD *
BET
Cartoon Network
CBS
CNN
Comedy Central
Cooking Channel
Disney
DIY
ESPN
ESPN *
Food Network
FOX
FOX News
FoxSoccer.tv
GAC
HGTV
History
Lifetime
Live News: Al Jazeera (English)
Live News: BBC
Live News: Bloomberg
Live News: C-Span
Live News: NHK (English)
Live News: RT (English)
MLB.tv *
MTV
National Geographic
NBC
NFL Rewind
NHL.com *
Nick
OWN
PBS
PBS Kids
SpikeTV
Syfy Rewind
TBS
Travel Channel
TV.com
VH1
VEVO

There are currently 65 additional plug-in channels.
http://www.playon.tv/channel-store/

Last edited by GatorDeb; 01-16-13 at 02:42 AM.
Old 01-24-13, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts
Re: PlayLater - pure awesomeness.

Once something like this becomes popular enough, the content providers tend to band together to get it shut down.
Old 01-24-13, 08:16 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Get PlayOn and PlayLater for life for $59.99

If you've ever thought seriously about cutting the cable-TV cord and saving yourself a big chunk of change every month, you've probably looked at PlayOn, a PC-based media server that lets you stream tons of TV content to just about any home and mobile device.

And if you love your Netflix and/or Hulu Plus subscriptions but don't always have an Internet connection for streaming their content, you need to know about PlayLater, which turns your PC into a DVR that can record those and other sources for later viewing.

All of which brings us to this deal: For a limited time, you can get lifetime licenses of both PlayOn and PlayLater for $59.99. Regular price for both: $129.99.

I've written about PlayOn before: It slings shows from your Windows PC to various devices, including tablets, smartphones, game consoles, media center boxes, and the like. It's akin to Roku, with your PC filling the role of "the box."

As for PlayLater, it's been on my radar for some time, but it wasn't until I saw it in action at CES that I remembered how freakin' awesome it is. The software can record streaming content from dozens of channels, including ABC, Amazon Instant Video, Comedy Central, Food Network, HBO Go (!), NBC, SyFy, and TBS. (Obviously certain channels, like Hulu Plus and HBO Go, require you to have an active, paid subscription. But many of them are free.)

PlayLater stores these recordings as MP4 files, and can even auto-sync with iTunes so they're queued up and ready for viewing on your iDevice. (Those files are also compatible with Android and other devices.) Frankly, I'm not sure how the developers can get away with this, as I'm pretty sure the likes of HBO and Netflix would frown on people recording their streaming content -- especially for mobile use -- but I'm not complaining. (In fact: Shhh! Let's keep this to ourselves!)

Recordings take place in real time, meaning a one-hour show takes an hour to record, so you have to plan ahead a bit. What's more, if you record from the likes of Hulu Plus or TBS, expect the same commercials you'd get while streaming them. But you can queue up as many shows as you want, so just set your PC a-recordin' at night and wake up to a fresh batch of content.

Between PlayOn and PlayLater, you've got two pretty incredible tools to help advance the cord-cutting cause. Assuming you were to ditch cable, the two would probably pay for themselves in a month. And because they're lifetime licenses, the only additional cost is what you pay for services like Netflix.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33153_7...fe-for-$59.99/
http://www.playon.tv/buy/?prmcd=winter13-2
Offer expires 1/31/2013

Last edited by TheBigDave; 01-24-13 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-27-13, 11:02 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

PlayOn/PlayLater is still SD only, correct?
Old 01-27-13, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by parker63
PlayOn/PlayLater is still SD only, correct?
Yes, bad SD. The picture quality is like a bad VCR recording.
Old 01-29-13, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow. Dealbreaker. There's actually a market for bad SD quality in 2013?
Old 01-30-13, 11:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I almost bought the lifetime pass until I did a bit of research. SD, seriously? No wonder a lifetime pass is so cheap. You get a lifetime of watching bum fuck standard def streams. Play On can fuck off.
Old 01-30-13, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by ScorseseLovesU
I almost bought the lifetime pass until I did a bit of research. SD, seriously? No wonder a lifetime pass is so cheap. You get a lifetime of watching bum fuck standard def streams. Play On can fuck off.
Old 02-08-13, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Haters
Old 08-24-15, 03:07 PM

They have HD as well now.
Old 08-28-15, 10:30 AM

Just for clarification, you can get PlayOn and PlayLater for 49.99 + $10 for HD = $59.99 for a lifetime license. I think the apps individually were $29.99.

I've messed with it a bit so far. Works pretty well and can access most any streaming library (ie: Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO GO, Showtime, etc.).
Old 08-29-15, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

When you use PlayLater, what type of file does it save as?

I'm wondering if it would be possible to save a recorded file to a jump drive and use that to get whatever I've recorded to my TV. Anybody have any idea?
Old 09-12-15, 01:18 PM
Cool New Member

Cant find any information on if they will support h.265 or download of the closed caption data.

Saw one comment they are looking into adding 1080p recording, but no details.