Redbox - Streaming

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-12, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Redbox - Streaming

http://gigaom.com/video/redbox-insta...t-launch-date/

Some key details:

◦Subscriptions start at $6 a month, which gives users unlimited access to the service’s subscription video catalog. That catalog is expected to be much smaller than Netflix’s, but it includes some titles also offered by the competitor, including Killers, Rango, Iron Man 2 and Thor.
◦An $8 a month membership adds four Redbox credits to the streaming package that can be redeemed for Redbox DVD rentals. Users will be able to reserve their DVDs from the Instant website and mobile apps. Credits won’t roll-over but expire at the end of each month.
◦Redbox Instant also offers VOD rentals and sales of newer titles, which can be downloaded to some devices for offline access. Rentals and sales start at $0.99, and offer access to titles like The Lorax, which will presumably cost a bit more than that.
◦Redbox Instant will initially be available on the web, Android and iOS devices, the Xbox 360 and select Samsung TVs and Blu-ray players. Customers will be able to register up to five devices to access the service.
◦Just like Netflix, Redbox Instant is using Silverlight for streaming on the web.
◦The help section also includes a hint regarding the launch date of the service: Beta testers are being told that they won’t be able to access the DVDs included in their subscriptions at some kiosks until December 17.

It's expected to launch by Mid-December.
Old 12-12-12, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk God

re: Redbox - Streaming

http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/redb...-epix-content/

New details. It's now going to be $8 per month and will include EPIX content. For $1 more, you will get credits for the Red Box machine.

No official launch date yet.

Now how many of you would be interested in subscribing to another Instant streaming service?
Old 12-12-12, 04:57 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
It's now going to be $8 per month and will include EPIX content. For $1 more, you will get credits for the Red Box machine.
The way I read it, you get 4 DVD credits with the $8 streaming plan. And for an extra $1, those 4 credits are upgraded to Blu-ray.

Isn't EPIX already on Netflix and Amazon? I think Netflix still has a year or two on their deal, and Amazon has a 3 year deal.

Anyways, I'm not interested in the disc rentals. And their streaming service would have to offer something significantly different from what I'm already getting on Netflix & Amazon. So for now, I'm not impressed.
Old 12-12-12, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah I agree. Not going to invest another $8/per month for the same or lesser amount of content.

They would have to offer something different. More current new releases would help. I don't expect stuff that comes out on Tuesday, but stuff released within 1 month of it's DVD/BD release.
Old 12-12-12, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk God

The Redbox Facebook page says they are starting Beta testing later this month.

It also said they are offering a 1 month free trial.

http://www.redbox.com/streaming?cid=ss:11:30:2012

You have to join their e-mail list to get in line for the beta testing.
Old 12-12-12, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

The Redbox Facebook page says they are starting Beta testing later this month.

It also said they are offering a 1 month free trial.

http://www.redbox.com/streaming?cid=ss:11:30:2012

You have to join their e-mail list to get in line for the beta testing.
I signed up on the waiting list. Nothing to lose with a free trial which includes 4 rentals according to the FB page. Though the wording in the e-mail received is a little funny--try it out for one month free with subscription. I would assume you can cancel after the one month and have no further obligation.
Old 01-08-13, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Anyone get their access code?

Just got mine e-mailed to me today. Will check it out later. Unlikely this will be very good yet since it's only the Beta version.
Old 01-08-13, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Alright, so I just signed up.

My initial impressions: Meh

Very Very limited streaming catalogue. Zero new releases.

I don't think I want to shell out $8/month for this.

I'll watch a few of the older movies for the free one month trial, but I'm cancelling after the month is over.
Old 01-08-13, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No access code yet, thought I did get a free rental code a few days ago for signing up and thanking me for my interest.
Old 01-08-13, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Alright, so I just signed up.

My initial impressions: Meh

Very Very limited streaming catalogue. Zero new releases.

I don't think I want to shell out $8/month for this.

I'll watch a few of the older movies for the free one month trial, but I'm cancelling after the month is over.
Yea, already have netflix which I think has a way better library. Do like the 4 kiosk rentals but I don't think that's enough for me to keep it after the free trial.
If they had the 4 kiosk rentals every month and had one new release every Tuesday to be streamed I would sign up.
Old 02-06-13, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just got into the beta and started my free month. Will be interested in seeing the Xbox 360 app hopefully later this week.
Old 02-07-13, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in, but haven't started my free trial.

Thinking that I can wait until the "end", so I can get the best of my free month.
Old 02-07-13, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk God

My free month expires tomorrow.

I already used my 4 free credits for DVDs

As for the streaming, it's got a long way to go. Most of the selection is very unimpressive and alot of it can be found on Netflix. I got the e-mail today to install the XBox 360 app, but I think I'm going to cancel and see if their selection improves for streaming. As of right now, I'm more than happy with Netflix.
Old 02-07-13, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Cancelled my subscription.

If they somehow dramatically improve their catalogue when it gets out of Beta, I may reconsider.

But, I have more than enough entertainment to watch to keep me busy. I just don't need to spend the extra $8/month for a mediocre catalogue and a few DVD rentals.
Old 02-07-13, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are they planning to have TV shows? Or are they going to have movies only?

$9/month for Blu-ray rentals is not that bad, even if they get that close to Netflix selection. But yeah, right now the catalogue is a joke.

And oh yeah, it only makes sense if you have kiosks near you, in my case I have at least 4 less than 0.5 miles from some so I'm fine.
Old 02-07-13, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the invite in my mailbox that I received a couple of weeks ago. I don't see an expiration date in the e-mail. I currently have an Amazon Prime trial, so I intend to give this free trial a whirl once that expires. I don't intend to keep it from what others have said, but I'll gladly check it out and use the 4 free rentals.
Old 02-08-13, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

I signed up for the invite and have not gotten it
Old 03-20-13, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Signed up for the free trial month, but its Xbox only and since I don't have Gold I won't be able to use that after the free month is over. Hopefully they get it on other devices that don't require me to pay $60 a year just to be able to pay $8 a month to stream something.

This might have something to do with my router or my xbox, but tried streaming a couple of movies and the picture is slightly jumpy. Especially when the camera is moving. Picture is definitely not as nice as Netflix or Hulu plus. Granted I'm forced to use the Xbox and I think its limited to 720P only.

Last edited by darkside; 03-20-13 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-14-13, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see this is now available on Roku devices. Any recent reviews of the service? I love the idea of including kiosk rentals for the newer release fix, but if the catalog doesn't get beefed up, I don't see how they can compete with Netflix or Amazon Prime. Any new thoughts now that it's been around a while?
Old 10-04-14, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This shutting down October 7th.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/4/69...on-october-7th
Old 10-05-14, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

This needed to be more like Vudu with $1.50 rentals.
Old 10-05-14, 03:30 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I was thinking a model that may have worked is about $5 a month for a lower tier title library, with $1 rentals of newer releases.
Old 10-05-14, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

& I was just going to sign up...
Old 12-08-20, 08:42 PM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Redbox has launched Free On Demand, an ad-supported streaming destination promising hundreds of titles arriving weekly that are “curated to the tastes of Redbox audiences.”
Some of the initial titles are films like Trespass, Lord of War, The Illusionist, Haywire and Maggie. Redbox said the mix will cover “fan favorites, cult classics and popular titles.”As of now, Redbox Free On Demand is currently available on Roku, iOS, Android mobile and TVs, and Vizio, with LG, Xbox, Samsung, and Google Chromecast among the platforms to be added soon.
Old 05-12-22, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Redbox - Streaming

Redbox was bought by the Chicken Soup for the Soul folks: https://deadline.com/2022/05/redbox-...ng-1235021010/

1. I didn't realize CSFTS was that large of an entity.
2. I must've missed the news that Sony sold Crackle to them.
3. I still use Redbox to rent discs, when there are coupon codes or I racked up enough points for a free rental. I'm out and about anyways when getting groceries or coming home from work. It's not much trouble to pick up a movie. But my type is probably dwindling, I'm sure. I've used Redbox for streaming rentals a couple of times and it's okay. (Most recently when I wanted to watch the Patrick Steward version of A Christmas Carol back in December.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.