Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk
Reload this Page >

Roku adding an Airplay-type feature for iOS/Android

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Old 09-20-12, 05:14 AM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

Roku's iOS/Android app has a new feature called "Play On Roku" that's similar to Apple's Airplay. It currently only works with music and pics. But it sounds like they're planning on adding video support in the future.

Roku's official iOS and Android remote apps add 'Play on Roku' to stream music and pics

Roku is announcing upgrades for its mobile remote control apps. Hinted at earlier this year when software updates went out to its newer boxes preparing them for future upgrades, the updates for its official app on Android and iOS bring a new "Play on Roku" feature. While it's not quite as feature-filled as AirPlay or DLNA streaming, it will allow owners to present images (JPG or PNG) and DRM-free music files (MP3 or M4A) right through their home theater with the press of a button. The update also includes international support, the ability to name different Roku boxes, a one touch quick rewind button and a few other tweaks. Currently there's no support for video or anything else more complicated, but we're told this is a first step as it plans to build up the second screen experience going forward.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/20/p...u-ios-android/
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KjiUbfAeLxU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-20-12, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Roku adding an Airplay-type feature for iOS/Android

I saw this when I updated my Roku app today. I'll have to dl it later and play around with it. Sounds like a great, and much wanted, idea.
Old 09-20-12, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I want screen mirroring, is that so much to ask
Old 09-20-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, I played around with this today. It's pretty sweet. Very easy to use, decent settings, looked great on my TV. Video mirroring should be killer.
Old 09-24-12, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

It's slightly annoying that "Play on Roku" is only supported on the current gen models apparently. I'd really like to have that for my previous gen Roku box.