Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Hulu moving towards requiring a cable subscription

This plan can't lose!

TV in real dime
Hulu, networks to change model of free streaming
By CLAIRE ATKINSON
Last Updated: 8:37 AM, April 30, 2012
Posted: 11:34 PM, April 29, 2012

Viewers who stream network TV shows may soon discover the free ride is not so free.

Hulu, which attracted 31 million unique users in March under a free-for-all model, is taking its first steps to change to a model where viewers will have to prove they are a pay-TV customer to watch their favorite shows, sources tell The Post.

In fact, the move by Hulu toward the new model — called authentication because viewers would have to log in with their cable or satellite TV account number — was behind the move last week by Providence Equity Partners to cash out of Hulu after five years, these sources said.

And it’s not just Hulu making it tougher for cable-cutters to stream shows and other content.

Fox, owned by News Corp., which also owns The Post, is expected to begin talks soon with Comcast on a TV Everywhere deal that will require authentication. Plus, Philadelphia-based Comcast is expected to switch to an authentication model for this summer’s Olympic Games (see story at right).

The move toward authentication is fueled by cable companies and networks looking to protect and profit from their content.

The effort comes as entertainment companies continue to face drastic shifts in home viewing habits. Overall spending on home entertainment edged up 2.5 percent to $4.45 billion in the first quarter as a surge in digital streaming — which rose more than fivefold to $549 million — offset a continuing collapse in video rentals, according to Digital Entertainment Group.

Hulu, owned by News Corp., Disney, Comcast and Providence, could see its March audience, as measured by ComScore, shrink after authentication. Hulu racked up some $420 million in ad revenue last year and is expected to do well in this year’s ad negotiations.

But the move toward authentication, which could take years to complete, will make cable companies happy because it could slow cord-cutting by making cable subscribing more attractive.

At the same time, networks are asking cable companies for retransmission money, a process that could be more appetizing for Comcast and its rivals if their subscriber base stopped shrinking.

To be sure, Hulu’s slow move toward authentication comes amid a jumble of cable and network game plans for streaming — which remain a strategic nightmare thanks to the complicated nature of the TV Everywhere initiative, which is aimed at keeping top shelf digital video exclusive to pay-TV subscribers.

Comcast’s own NBCUniversal, for example, has a patchwork approach to authentication.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...rC9agDUEkHae2I
Old 04-30-12, 09:29 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts
Re: Hulu moving towards requiring a cable subscription

I'm interested to see where they're going with this. It sucks for the cord cutters. But I'm a cable subscriber, so it doesn't bother me. And if this leads to more content deals, I see that as a positive.
Old 04-30-12, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How would the authentication work? Would they compare the Roku account name to the cable account name?

I was just trying to figure this out for HBOGo - a friend has HBO through his cable, I was wondering if I could get it on my Roku but only use it when he is visiting, of course.
Old 04-30-12, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Heat
How would the authentication work? Would they compare the Roku account name to the cable account name?

I was just trying to figure this out for HBOGo - a friend has HBO through his cable, I was wondering if I could get it on my Roku but only use it when he is visiting, of course.
First, create an online account with your cable provider. Then you go to the HBOGo website and select your device (Roku, 360, PS3, etc) and cable provider. It asks you to sign-in using your cable provider login, and gives you a code. Go back to your device and enter the code.

You could probably have your friend go through the procedure and get a code for your Roku. I don't know what steps they take to detect/prevent abuse.
Old 04-30-12, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whoah, HBOGo is pretty limited in who can access it. You have to get cable with HBO from one of these entities:

AT&T U-Verse
Charter
Cox
Dish
Mediacom
Optimum
RCN
Suddenlink
Verizon
Wow
Note that DirecTV is not on the list.

Where I live the cable company is Comcast, so HBOGo is not an option for my friend (and for me, if I had cable). With regard to Hulu - if they drop the monthly fee but require authentication, I'll be on it like white on rice.

Speaking of HBO - my friend was able to get it for $10 a month by calling Comcast and asking for a better price. If you have cable and want HBO, it wouldn't hurt to ask for a lower price.

Last edited by Heat; 04-30-12 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-01-12, 12:13 AM

Where I live the cable company is Comcast, so HBOGo is not an option for my friend (and for me, if I had cable).
Comcast allows HBOGo on the 360 and on mobile devices (iPhone/iPad). But they don't like the Roku.
Old 05-01-12, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I'm assuming this affects the "Free" version of Hulu.

I have Directv and subscribe to Hulu Plus. But I mainly use it as an extra DVR when my other DVRs get too full.

But yeah I can see some of the cord cutters who don't pay for Hulu Plus getting pissed about this.
Old 05-01-12, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Comcast allows HBOGo on the 360 and on mobile devices (iPhone/iPad). But they don't like the Roku.
Directv also allows access to HBOGo on the Xbox 360 which I have. They also hate Roku for some reason.
Old 05-01-12, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have cable right now. I use Hulu (the free version) to watch The Office and Modern Family each week. If they end up requiring a cable subscription, I will simply download the episodes illegally.

I have no need for cable.
Old 05-01-12, 04:28 PM
Political Exile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoah, HBOGo is pretty limited in who can access it. You have to get cable with HBO from one of these entities:

Note that DirecTV is not on the list.

Where I live the cable company is Comcast, so HBOGo is not an option for my friend (and for me, if I had cable). With regard to Hulu - if they drop the monthly fee but require authentication, I'll be on it like white on rice.

Speaking of HBO - my friend was able to get it for $10 a month by calling Comcast and asking for a better price. If you have cable and want HBO, it wouldn't hurt to ask for a lower price.
How much does HBO normally cost, because I've had it with Dish and it has always been $10
Old 05-01-12, 05:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I don't have cable right now. I use Hulu (the free version) to watch The Office and Modern Family each week. If they end up requiring a cable subscription, I will simply download the episodes illegally.

You can watch them on the NBC and ABC websites. That's all the free version of Hulu does anyway is put all the content from the network's websites in one convenient place.
Old 05-01-12, 05:59 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Hulu is a joke. If I want to stream to a box-top set I have to pay for Hulu Plus. Which would be fine...EXCEPT THEY KEEP THE ADS. Fuck that shit.

If this move means I can watch set top for free just by signing in with my cable subscription, that's cool.
Old 05-01-12, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Philzilla
How much does HBO normally cost, because I've had it with Dish and it has always been $10
I think it's $17 a month if you get it a la carte. Most people get it as part of a package deal for a little less.
Old 05-01-12, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk God

HBO on Directv goes for $14.99 a month

Actually I have it combined with Showtime, Starz and Cinemax and pay about $45 a month as a package. That runs to about 11 bucks each. But keep in mind there is like 5-8 channels for each group. Your paying $45 for about 25-30 channels approximately.
Old 05-01-12, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Groucho
Hulu is a joke. If I want to stream to a box-top set I have to pay for Hulu Plus. Which would be fine...EXCEPT THEY KEEP THE ADS. Fuck that shit.

If this move means I can watch set top for free just by signing in with my cable subscription, that's cool.
That's the one thing I don't like about Hulu Plus. They are making $8 a month in revenue from subscribers, yet can't afford to make it commercial free? I understand why it has to be done for the free version.

Just a guess, but maybe there are additional costs to be able to stream it in 720p HD on your television & keeping content up an entire season.
Old 05-01-12, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tarantino

Does your OTA antenna not work? Like Texan just said, most of the shows on the networks can be watched through their network sites.

There is always Amazon Instant Video, but you have to pay for it on a per show basis. If you don't watch alot of TV, that might be a better alternative and it can be streamed through alot of BD players.

It's better than flat out pirating it.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-01-12 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-02-12, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
That's the one thing I don't like about Hulu Plus. They are making $8 a month in revenue from subscribers, yet can't afford to make it commercial free? I understand why it has to be done for the free version.

Just a guess, but maybe there are additional costs to be able to stream it in 720p HD on your television & keeping content up an entire season.
Display advertising isn't terribly expensive.
Old 05-02-12, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If this happens I'd probably use Hulu more. I never thought Hulu+ was worth it for 8 bucks a month.
Old 05-02-12, 11:10 AM
Political Exile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think it's $17 a month if you get it a la carte. Most people get it as part of a package deal for a little less.
Thanks, that makes sense, I have the every HD channel you got package, or whatever its called
Old 05-02-12, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Comcast is currently advertising HBO for $10 a month for six months to add it to an existing subscription
Old 05-02-12, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Where I live the cable company is Comcast, so HBOGo is not an option for my friend (and for me, if I had cable).
What are you talking about? I have Comcast (Xfinity) and have been using HBOGo for months. Your friend is massively misinformed.
Old 05-02-12, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
What are you talking about? I have Comcast (Xfinity) and have been using HBOGo for months. Your friend is massively misinformed.
I think he's talking about Roku access. If you have Comcast, you can't use HBO GO on the Roku.
Old 05-02-12, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I'm interested to see where they're going with this. It sucks for the cord cutters.
Sucks for me as I can no longer get FOX OTA. I get all other networks and have no desire for "premium" content. I won't be getting cable just for FOX.
Old 05-02-12, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think he's talking about Roku access. If you have Comcast, you can't use HBO GO on the Roku.
This.
Old 05-02-12, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Ah. Roger that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.