I'm guessing the netflix deal w ABC is done
Old 12-19-14, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: The OFFICIAL Noteworthy New Arrivals to Netflix Thread

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I'm guessing the netflix deal w ABC is done
http://deadline.com/2011/10/disney-a...etflix-188978/

Looks like it was a deal that was signed back in 2011.

But there are several current ABC shows like Grey's Anatomy, Scandal and Revenge that are still on there, so I'm guessing ABC has different licensing deals with those shows. The ones expiring are cancelled shows so they probably aren't getting streamed much.
Old 12-20-14, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Or it's the end of the original contract, remember Netflix has a tendency to have an odd renewal cycle.
Old 12-21-14, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Paranormal Activity: Marked Ones movie that I forgot all about was added today. As was Le Chef with Jean Reno.
Old 12-23-14, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Apparently Netflix is making a new Pee-Wee flick directed by Judd Apatow.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/23/n...ee-wee-herman/
Old 12-26-14, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
They're dropping Beast Wars?! Nooooooo! I must've done something in a previous life FML!

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 12-26-14 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-29-14, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I cannot emphasize enough that if you subscribe to Netflix, you need a VPN service to fully maximize its potential. Chances are that if a title is expiring in one region, it will still be available in another. Plus other regions have titles that you will never see in the US or Canadian Netflix. For example the first 6 seasons of Big Bang Theory is available in either Netflix Germany or Sweden, I forget. Plus I have started watching Elementary since another region has the first two seasons. The bonus is that you can access these regions with your monthly subscription. No extra charge.
Old 12-29-14, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

I tried to use the one mentioned earlier on my MacBook air but it doesn't do anything.
Old 12-29-14, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hola doesn't work for Chrome on Mac OS?
Old 12-29-14, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I tried 3 browsers.
Old 12-29-14, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Weird. https://hola.org/mac

I don't know OS X stuff.
Old 12-29-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Hola used to work on my Wndows Google Chrome Browser but now when I try Netflix signs me out and wont let me. Is there another VPN service that works?
Old 12-29-14, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I cannot emphasize enough that if you subscribe to Netflix, you need a VPN service to fully maximize its potential. Chances are that if a title is expiring in one region, it will still be available in another. Plus other regions have titles that you will never see in the US or Canadian Netflix. For example the first 6 seasons of Big Bang Theory is available in either Netflix Germany or Sweden, I forget. Plus I have started watching Elementary since another region has the first two seasons. The bonus is that you can access these regions with your monthly subscription. No extra charge.
Are you doing this via just web viewing? How would you be able to via Netflix Argentina or UK on a Roku or a PS4? The app wouldn't work for this method right?
Old 12-29-14, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Are you doing this via just web viewing? How would you be able to via Netflix Argentina or UK on a Roku or a PS4? The app wouldn't work for this method right?
I use unblock-us to change my Netflix regions. I watch it on my TV through my ATV, PS3 and PS4. I pay $4.99 per month but it's worth every penny. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.unblock-us.com
Old 12-29-14, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Weird. https://hola.org/mac

I don't know OS X stuff.
Thats what I did. nothin'.
Old 12-30-14, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's what I was wondering. Price of VPN aside, I watch on my Smart TV or BD player, so I couldn't put a VPN on that.
Old 12-30-14, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
That's what I was wondering. Price of VPN aside, I watch on my Smart TV or BD player, so I couldn't put a VPN on that.
If you click on the link, they tell you which devices they are compatible with. The easiest method is changing your router settings and then changing the setting on your devices.
Old 01-04-15, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Falcon Rising

Starring Michael Jai White is now available on Netflix.

It's a must watch if you're a fan of him and badass martial arts action flicks.

Also available:

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

White Collar season 5 -- 13 episode season. Season 6, the final season, just wrapped airing last month.
Old 01-04-15, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk God

http://torrentfreak.com/netflix-crac...irates-150103/

Netflix is starting to crack down on people using VPN's to bypass territorial restrictions.

I know this affects poster LorenzoL, who has been posting a lot about this. According to the article, the studios are angry about this because it hurts the regionalized agreements for the content.

Hulu/Hulu Plus has already done this. They block all of their content if someone tries to access it outside of the U.S. I went on vacation last year and tried to use a VPN to access my Hulu account from Japan on my Ipad and they blocked it and had a warning saying that they detected I was using a VPN.
Old 01-04-15, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess only time will tell if they are able to impede VPN services to access their streaming. Hulu Plus works fine for me using the VPN service. Plus, it's not just me, there's a lot more people using these services specially here in Canada.
Old 01-04-15, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Word of warning for anyone sitting on BBC America content in their queue's for months/years.

It all expires February 1st. That includes Luther, Jekyll, Doctor Who, MI-5, etc.
Old 01-05-15, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Word of warning for anyone sitting on BBC America content in their queue's for months/years.

It all expires February 1st. That includes Luther, Jekyll, Doctor Who, MI-5, etc.
Figures

http://torrentfreak.com/netflix-crac...irates-150103/ Netflix is starting to crack down on people using VPN's to bypass territorial restrictions. I know this affects poster LorenzoL, who has been posting a lot about this. According to the article, the studios are angry about this because it hurts the regionalized agreements for the content. Hulu/Hulu Plus has already done this. They block all of their content if someone tries to access it outside of the U.S. I went on vacation last year and tried to use a VPN to access my Hulu account from Japan on my Ipad and they blocked it and had a warning saying that they detected I was using a VPN.
Disappointing though obviously understandable from the perspective of the various companies. I figured it was only a matter of time before they became hip to what people were doing to circumvent them.

It is more understandable too. With Blu-rays and DVD, even though I know why region codes exist, it's frustrating when you're bending over backwards to buy stuff legally. Here though, I do serve at their pleasure and of course streaming service aren't for purchase, and they can take down stuff as they choose and offer up restrictions. It sucks, and I certainly would blame any customers if they decided to vote with their wallets, but the services are certainly the ones in charge and they have the right.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 01-05-15 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-05-15, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Netflix clarified that they were not currently targeting VPNs to a few other sites that don't have the name "torrent" in their names.

The BBC stuff will likely be back, Netflix seems to have a strong relationship with them.
Old 01-05-15, 12:05 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

In Canada, those VPN/DNS services are essential, in my opinion.

With Rogers & Shaw starting their stupid Shomi service (think Hulu+), and pulling content FROM Netflix to make Shomi appear better than it is, the streaming content situation is only going to get worse for non-Rogers and non-Shaw customers.
Old 01-07-15, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
In Canada, those VPN/DNS services are essential, in my opinion.

With Rogers & Shaw starting their stupid Shomi service (think Hulu+), and pulling content FROM Netflix to make Shomi appear better than it is, the streaming content situation is only going to get worse for non-Rogers and non-Shaw customers.
Just to make our American neighbours understand why most Canadians use VPN/DNS services for Netflix. This is a great article illustrating our rationale behind it:

Netflix cracks down (cough, cough)

Ivor Tossell

Special to The Globe and Mail

Published Wednesday, Jan. 07 2015, 3:00 AM EST

Last updated Wednesday, Jan. 07 2015, 11:53 AM EST

Netflix would like you to know that Canadians tapping into the company’s American catalogue is a very definite no-no. Maybe not a crime. Maybe not a big no-no, even. But definitely in finger-wagging territory.

“Virtually crossing borders to use Netflix is a violation of our terms of use because of content licensing restrictions,” the service said in a statement to news outlets, crossing its arms and shaking its head gravely.

Then Netflix sat down on its recliner and conspicuously went back to reading its newspaper, coughing loudly and raising the paper up so that it couldn’t see you.

The statement, which has been reprinted in various media outlets, came after reports that users who were accessing American Netflix from abroad were encountering error messages, telling them that such behaviour was now being blocked.

The reports were sporadic, and for now, it doesn’t seem like there’s any large-scale blocking effort under way. But the mere suggestion that such a move was afoot was enough to send Canadian Netflix users into a tizzy.

Let’s acknowledge something that many users cheerfully admit in the comfort of their living rooms: Canadian Netflix is essentially a grey-market service. It’s a false storefront, a post-office box we use as a tool to access the far superior American catalogue without resorting to out-and-out piracy. In this case, the tool at hand is the Virtual Private Network: a kind of encrypted tunnel that lets you burrow through the Internet and virtually pop up in a different location, as if emerging from a portal in Ohio to scoop up American content.

Is this illegal? Not exactly. Canadian lawyers have called it a grey area. The practice is against Netflix’s terms and conditions, but a breach of contract is not a crime.

Nor is it ethically compromising the way pirating content can be. If you torrent a piece of video, nobody is getting paid at all (except perhaps the pirates). Netflix, on the other hand, rents the rights to its videos on a time basis, not on a per-view basis. So a Canadian streaming a show from American Netflix isn’t depriving creators of anything: Netflix has paid the creator and the user has paid Netflix; the money’s down.

Netflix catalogues are different in different countries because licensing deals are split between different countries. A media owner might have sold the rights to broadcast a piece of video to a Canadian media company. If Canadians watch that content on Netflix instead of through the channel that paid for the Canadian rights, that channel loses out on the putative revenue it would have generated – say, from advertising on its own site.

Canadian consumers, however, don’t seem too concerned with these nuances. Taking the backdoor into Netflix’s American store meets a standard of legitimacy that many feel comfortable with. And perhaps the most legitimizing factor is Netflix’s apparent complicity in the scheme.

Computers are capable of a great deal of sophisticated analysis, including computing orbital trajectories, decoding the human genome and noticing that my Netflix account has logged in from Toronto one minute and Boise, Idaho, the next – the moment I turn on my VPN.

The company’s tut-tutting statement is more significant for what it doesn’t say than for what it does. There is no threat of sanctions to users, no hint of sabre-rattling about cancelled accounts, let alone legal action or damages. Nor is there any suggestion that its experiments in geoblocking are going to turn into anything more substantial.

We can guess why: Any hint that Netflix was about to shut down the American buffet would be met with Canadian subscribers stampeding to the exits. Canadians have a particular sore spot about being treated like second-class citizens in the global media market. Netflix knows this, and it’s no longer the only game in town when it comes to video streaming, especially as Canadian media companies get their acts together with offerings like Crave TV, which offers existing subscribers to cable packages unlimited streaming for $4 a month. Canadian dollars, no less.

There is a reason Netflix has calibrated its response to the question of geoblocking to “not mad, just disappointed.” The slightly dodgy status quo seems to be satisfying many parties, and any attempt to upend it would be taken as the company changing the rules of the tacit agreement it’s made with Canadian users – even if that tacit agreement contradicts the written agreement those users signed.

Consumer expectations, once established, are hard to revise. It’s a grey market, and Netflix and its Canadian subscribers are in it together.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle22329693/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.