Community
Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Streaming Devices - What Do You Use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-13, 11:34 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: Streaming Devices - What Do You Use?

We are using the Xbox 360 to stream Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Instant, and MLB.tv. Has been very reliable.
Old 04-10-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Still nothing yet on my VUDU account.... Maybe I lost access.... Craptastic...
Old 04-10-13, 02:19 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
Still nothing yet on my VUDU account.... Maybe I lost access.... Craptastic...
Drop them an email. I've been very impressed by their customer service.
Old 04-10-13, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

b2net - I'm not saying you haven't tried this already (and definitely NOT calling you dumb) but....have you gone to the vudu site to enter your username and password then get the prompt to reset your password yet so you get the email?

And also, did you receive the original email yet (the one saying they were robbed)?

Just throwing those two things out there in case you just overlooked anything.
Old 04-10-13, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes.. I received the original email... which prompted me to go to the site.. which I did directly.. not via a link in the email.... to reset the password... and I also have contacted them directly by email .. and no response.. so maybe I should be calling VUDU..

btw.. I believe it is an issue with Hotmail... as it has been in the past...
Old 04-10-13, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I called.. and the operator tried to send me an email as well.. didn't come through.. but she was able to manually reset my password to another one.. then I was able to login and change it to something new.. fun fun fun..
Old 04-24-13, 04:52 PM

There are reports going around today that Amazon is developing it's own set-top box to compete with Roku and AppleTV. No details yet. But rumors are that it'll come out in Fall 2013.

Here Comes Amazon's Kindle TV Set-Top Box
Old 04-24-13, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
There are reports going around today that Amazon is developing it's own set-top box to compete with Roku and AppleTV. No details yet. But rumors are that it'll come out in Fall 2013.

The article asks the important question: Will it have other services like Netflix? If not, how can it possibly compete?
Old 04-24-13, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Netflix and Hulu+ are both part of the Amazon Appstore so I have to assume they'll both be there along with HBO Go and the CW App.

Vudu, on the other hand, probably will not be there directly though may be through some sort of Flixster app.

To note, I'm assuming this settop will be a version of Google TV overhauled slightly to look more like the Kindle Fire interface.
Old 05-05-13, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone here use a PS3 for youtube? If so, how is it and is there an app to download?

Thanks
Old 05-05-13, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by arminius
Anyone here use a PS3 for youtube? If so, how is it and is there an app to download?
I use it and really like it. I've used YouTube apps on the 360, Boxee, AppleTV, and Roku. The PS3 one is my favorite. It's very easy to navigate. And I like that it has a continuous play feature. So if I'm watching videos on a subscribed feed, it'll play them all.

I don't think there's any way to download YouTube videos on the PS3. Is that what you were asking for? Maybe you could do it through the PS3's browser? I don't know. Personally, I just download them on my computer then transfer the files to my PS3.
Old 05-05-13, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

It will be dead on arrival if it doesn't have a way to stream UltraViolet content. Most can access their UV movies through VUDU, but I doubt Amazon will allow Walmart's service on their boxes.

Amazon has shown no indication they plan on joining the UV consortium anytime soon, much like Apple.
It's fine for YouTube but the specific apps for the various streaming services are very quirky on the PS3. The crunchyroll app (an anime service) basically doesn't work very well and I've had problems with other service apps on the PS3.

In a recent development, one of the better streaming devices I've encountered is my 2012 Panasonic plasma. VUDU and Amazon Prime stream very well on it and the interface isn't that bad.
Old 05-05-13, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's fine for YouTube but the specific apps for the various streaming services are very quirky on the PS3. The crunchyroll app (an anime service) basically doesn't work very well and I've had problems with other service apps on the PS3.
Which apps are you using on the PS3? I haven't noticed any problems with Netflix, Vudu and YouTube.

Crunchyroll is definitely broken on the PS3. It's been that way for a long time. People have been reporting the same problems on the CR message board ever since the app was released. At this point, I don't have any faith that it'll ever get fixed.

Luckily, I've got a Roku. But if I only had a PS3 for CR, I'd be pissed.
Old 05-05-13, 07:39 PM

It will be dead on arrival if it doesn't have a way to stream UltraViolet content. Most can access their UV movies through VUDU, but I doubt Amazon will allow Walmart's service on their boxes.

Amazon has shown no indication they plan on joining the UV consortium anytime soon, much like Apple.
I think they'll find a way to get UV content on the KindleTV. They can advertise the box on every Blu-ray page that includes a UV code ("Watch UltraViolet on the KindleTV. Buy one here"). And they can advertise the Blu-rays on the KindleTV ("Buy the Blu-ray at Amazon.com and get a free UV code"). Amazon loves that kind of cross-promotion stuff.

If they don't want to get in bed with Wal-Mart's Vudu or Best Buy's CinemaNow, they use the Flixster app. It's already on the Kindle Fire, and the Xbox is running one too. I prefer Vudu, but it's better than nothing.
Old 05-05-13, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Which apps are you using on the PS3? I haven't noticed any problems with Netflix, Vudu and YouTube.

Crunchyroll is definitely broken on the PS3. It's been that way for a long time. People have been reporting the same problems on the CR message board ever since the app was released. At this point, I don't have any faith that it'll ever get fixed.

Luckily, I've got a Roku. But if I only had a PS3 for CR, I'd be pissed.
VUDU is pretty solid on the PS3, though I still prefer the ROKU and my Panasonic streaming it. I use just about all of the streaming services, other than Netflix. I am desperately hoping that Panasonic adds a Funimation app, like they recently did with Crunchyroll.
Old 05-05-13, 10:37 PM

I am desperately hoping that Panasonic adds a Funimation app, like they recently did with Crunchyroll.
Are you not using FUNi's Roku app? It was broken for a while. But now it runs pretty good.
Old 05-06-13, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Are you not using FUNi's Roku app? It was broken for a while. But now it runs pretty good.
Yes, I am. It works fine but the ROKU is in a different room.
Old 05-06-13, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been using my Roku 3 via wireless hdmi lately, the fact the remote is RF works wonders for that thing (not that it matters since I could just as easily use my phone or tablet to control it).
Old 05-09-13, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I'm using my PS3 for Netflix, Amazon Prime and Youtube. I am looking to add either Hulu plus, crackle or Vudu. Any big differences between them?

Also looking at Neon alley and Crunchyroll, same thing either or recommendations.

I'm looking at them but I'd like impressions from actual users.

Thanks
Old 05-09-13, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

So I'm using my PS3 for Netflix, Amazon Prime and Youtube. I am looking to add either Hulu plus, crackle or Vudu. Any big differences betwen them?

Also looking at Neon alley and Crunchyroll, same thing either or recommendations.
The biggest difference is VuDu is ala carte per episode like Amazon Instant. You can also get movies too, but agin it's charged per title.

Crackle has select movies/shows and is free, but has commercials.

Hulu plus has mostly current FOX, NBC, ABC, and CW shows. It has commercials, but if you pay the monthly rate, you can stream it in HD on your tv.
Old 05-09-13, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
The biggest difference is VuDu is ala carte per episode like Amazon Instant. You can also get movies too, but agin it's charged per title.

Crackle has select movies/shows and is free, but has commercials.

Hulu plus has mostly current FOX, NBC, ABC, and CW shows. It has commercials, but if you pay the monthly rate, you can stream it in HD on your tv.
So since I have cablevision, hulu plus would be pointless. I'll try Crackle and Vudu.

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-09-13, 04:31 PM

I use Crunchyroll. Haven't tried Neon Alley yet. But I can tell you about the two services.

Crunchyroll is video-on-demand like Netflix. They have a huge catalog of anime series, including shows that are currently airing in Japan. Everything is in Japanese with English subtitles. Crunchyroll is Free (SD-video and commercials). You can also get a premium Paid membership (HD-video with no commercials).

Neon Alley is scheduled programming like HBO. Shows are aired at a certain time. Their selection of shows is fairly limited and mostly older titles. But the shows are popular and well-known. The main benefit is that everything is English Dubbed.

Personally, I prefer Crunchyroll. I like their selection of titles and I want to watch on my own schedule. But if you're using a PS3, you might run into problems. A lot of PS3 users (like me) have problems with Crunchyroll crashing.
Old 05-09-13, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use Crunchyroll. Haven't tried Neon Alley yet. But I can tell you about the two services.

Crunchyroll is video-on-demand like Netflix. They have a huge catalog of anime series, including shows that are currently airing in Japan. Everything is in Japanese with English subtitles. Crunchyroll is Free (SD-video and commercials). You can also get a premium Paid membership (HD-video with no commercials).

Neon Alley is scheduled programming like HBO. Shows are aired at a certain time. Their selection of shows is fairly limited and mostly older titles. But the shows are popular and well-known. The main benefit is that everything is English Dubbed.

Personally, I prefer Crunchyroll. I like their selection of titles and I want to watch on my own schedule. But if you're using a PS3, you might run into problems. A lot of PS3 users (like me) have problems with Crunchyroll crashing.
Thanks, I'll try both for a while and see how it goes.
Old 07-24-13, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Anyways, what are you using? What do you like about it, and what do you hate?
I have a whole assortment of streaming devices:

Roku2 XS - Picked this one up recently, I'm always on the trailing edge of technology. This is wired into the Home Theater system in the living room. Got it primiarly for the faster response time, Closed Caption and Vudu support that were missing from my other Rokus. Primarily used for Netflix, Pandora and Vudu. Previously used for HuluPlus but I didn't find that channel worth the added expense - also I got frustrated with their licensing issues that made a lot of stuff I wanted to watch Web-only.

Roku XD (2nd Generation) - This is in the master bedroom. Used primarily for Netflix, Pandora, Revision 3 and Pr0n.

Roku HD-XR (1st Generation) - An old workhorse, it is the only model that provides integration with just about any TV setup (Composite, Component, S-Video, HDMI) and that provides both wired and wireless connectivity. I'll never get rid of it. Right now it's in the exercise room and I use it on the treadmill or stationary bike. Almost exclusively Netflix.

Logitech Revue (Google TV 1st Gen) - Home Theater. Used as a video hub and to provide Chrome web access on the big screen when I'm too lazy to get my ass off the couch. Great for football PiP during the fall. Used to watch Netflix on this a lot (natively supports CC) before I got the Roku2 XS unit. Now it's primarly a Pandora player when it's not being a hub.

Panasonic HDTV + HT BluRay player - Both of these are in my Home Theater setup and both are web-enabled via VieraCast. I hardly use them but they ALSO provide Netflix, Pandora and Vudu access.

Panasonic MBR BluRay player - Master bedroom. VieraCast access to Vudu.

Raspberry Pi running XBMC - Home Theater. I'm just starting to play around with this. I am digging how I can stream just about anything that's ever been released on DVD on this. Have been able to watch current movies (Iron Man 3, Star Trek Into Darkness), ancient TV shows (like Early Edition, WKRP in Cincinnati), and everything in between. I just learned last night that I can download streams (they turn into .avi files) to play later, and that the version of XBMC I'm running has native PVR support. Allegedly I can also watch live network programming and possibly even NFL Sunday Ticket + Red Zone Channel. I've barely scratched the surface but this little box might completely revolutionize how my home watches television.

WD Live TV - I hardly ever use it. Not really certain what unique capabilities it provides.
Old 07-24-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

WDTV works great for content on an external HD, and has some excellent backend features if it supports the hack ROMs that were out a while back. It doesn't quite compare with a Raspberry Pi, but honestly not much compares with that - but it's substantially better than most others.

I use a Roku 3 mostly now, that thing is excellent.