Community
Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

NetFlix "Watch Now / Watch Instantly" - Recommendations Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
ahhh good show people. Now that I have increase my internet speed this thing is now useful to me.
Old 02-15-08, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it just me or can you not go back/pause if you missed a segment of the movie?? Maybe my connection timed out but It looked like I had to watch the movie over again.
Old 02-18-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Has anyone had trouble with this lately? I went to watch something, and I get the page to install the player. I thought this was just an update, so I installed it, and nothing happens. If I go back and select something else (or the same movie), I get the install page again. I've installed it several times with no luck.
Old 02-18-08, 01:01 PM

you can go back and rewind or pause by just sliding the curser over the play indicator and dragging it backward - it is not exact and one of the more annoying things about watching these streaming videos...

drexl - not sure if you had the same problem as me, but make sure you are following all of the specs that are listed on the site - for example, it does not work with firefox (only with internet expolorer)....
Old 02-18-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Okay, I tried going to the site with the 32-bit version of IE (I was using the 64-bit edition before, in 64-bit Vista) and it worked. I'm not sure why that made a difference, when it worked before, but that doesn't really matter now.

BTW, check out Film Geek.
Old 02-20-08, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
If you like the ex-MST3K Film Crew and their riffed movies,

Film Crew: Hollywood After Dark is on Watch Now
Old 02-20-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Dexter Season 1
30 Rock season 1
The Office season 2
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker - Not perfect but very enjoyable if you're a fan of the Batman franchise.
Jim Gaffigan: Beyond the Pale - Hooootttt poccckkkeeets (was that special? not sure...)

Most of these are foreign:

The City of Lost Children (trailer) if you haven't already seen it. (shown Subtitled) Can't really explain it, just watch it.

La Vie en Rose is current and apparently quite good (haven't seen it yet), best actress oscar nom. (shown Subtitled, I think..) Biopic.

The Sea Inside - Javier Bardem. 'nuff said

Perfect Blue Hitchcock inspired anime horror mystery about a singer and her obsessed fan. Dubbed.

Night Watch/Day Watch - I didn't care for the series, but I know many did, US cuts (imo they're fine) with cool animated subtitles for both. Russian supernatural/scifi action/adventure flicks.

Pan's Labyrinth - Great flick. Subtitled.

Paris, Je T'aime - A collection of five-minute films about the City of Lights brings Paris to life with a unique patchwork of 20 stories. Numerous writers, directors and actors lend their distinctive vision to the project, employing a wide variety of styles and subject matter. Participants include Gérard Depardieu, Gus Van Sant, Ethan Coen, Joel Coen, Wes Craven, Marianne Faithfull, Steve Buscemi, Juliette Binoche, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Gena Rowlands and many others.

The Beat That My Heart Skipped - remake of Fingers, been meaning to watch it for some time.

Kontroll - Hear it's great, haven't seen it yet.

Last Life in the Universe - Slow and meditative, solid flick.

Joint Security Area - put Park Chan-Wook (Oldboy, Sympathy for Lady/Mr. Vengeance) on the map for me. Murder whodunit on the South/North Korean border.

Seom (The Isle) - (Trailer) Ki-duk Kim flick (3-Iron, Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter/Spring), trailer always attracted me to it (for years now) have yet to actually watch it.

13 Tzameti - A dark little movie about luck based around a multiplayer game of Russian roulette.

Reconstruction - (Trailer) Never saw but always wanted to, so figured I'd make it as a noteable

Chaos - A solid kidnapping/caper flick by Hideo Nakata (Ringu, Dark Water).

Three... Extremes - (trailer) 3 horror films by 3 asian directors. I liked 2 a great deal, the other was alright but felt out of place. Beautifully shot considering the content.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-20-08 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-21-08, 02:17 PM
Cool New Member

"Film Geek" should make everyone on the forum laugh.

If you're up for a *very* strange B-movie... "A Boy and His Dog" starring a very young Don Johnson.
Old 02-21-08, 05:41 PM

Very Good Thread idea!

I second the "Festival Express" documentary.
Old 02-24-08, 08:17 PM

For me, the best use of it is for old TV shows. You don't notice the loss of resolution and Netflix has actually developed a pretty good system to go from episode to episode. I can watch one or two 30 minutes shows, but to watch a feature length movie on the computer just gets annoying to me.

The BBC shows are some of my favorites for this format.

Yes, Prime Minister and Manchild are very watch-able.

Comedy concerts are also good.
Old 02-26-08, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

La Vie en Rose (aka "La Mome") which just won the Best Actress Oscar for Marion Cotillard is on Watch Now
Old 02-26-08, 07:53 PM

I'm gonna have to check out the Jim Gaffigan special and La Vie En Rose. I've seen the little "Watch It Now" button in my queue, but never had the urge to try it out.

Not to be nitpicky or anything, but how's the picture quality? Not expecting Quicktime HD, but is it along the same lines as the PQ on some of the standard def quicktime trailers?
Old 02-26-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by missingtoof
Not to be nitpicky or anything, but how's the picture quality? Not expecting Quicktime HD, but is it along the same lines as the PQ on some of the standard def quicktime trailers?
Because it's streaming, the PQ depends on how fast the Internet connection is. A connection over 2.2 Mbps is roughly equivalent to online SD trailers. A slower connection and PQ takes a hit, but is still vastly better than the PQ available at online video websites (like YouTube). The only real drawback IMO is NetFlix's software requires IE to work (it's the only thing I even use IE for anymore).
Old 02-26-08, 08:56 PM

Thanks. Sounds like a great idea, especially with a lot of newer releases, but if it means reinstalling IE on my system, I guess I'll just get the DVD itself.

Favoring Firefox,
mt

Old 02-27-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks. Sounds like a great idea, especially with a lot of newer releases, but if it means reinstalling IE on my system, I guess I'll just get the DVD itself.

Favoring Firefox
Me too, so I use Firefox for everything else but use IE for just this. It's worth it to watch movies for free.
Old 02-29-08, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dhmac
Grindhouse: Death Proof and Grindhouse: Planet Terror just were added to Watch Now
Are these still available? I searched for them, but they're not showing up under Watch Now...
Old 03-02-08, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Favoring Firefox,
mt

There is a plugin called IE View. You can use that to view pages that can only be viewed in IE. Not sure if it will work with netflix since that installer seems to have a lot going on with it but maybe.
Old 03-02-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Are these still available? I searched for them, but they're not showing up under Watch Now...
Wow, those "Grindhouse" features didn't last long! I've seen stuff drop out of "Watch Now" before (apparently NetFlix only gets the streaming rights for limited amounts of time), but not as quickly as these did so soon after being added.
Old 03-02-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The King of Kong (A Fistful of Quarters) is now on "Watch Now"

Very enjoyable documentary
Old 03-31-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I notice that David Lynch's most recent opus Inland Empire is available on Watch Now - I'll need to check that one out!
Old 04-04-08, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
King of Kong!!!
Old 04-04-08, 04:06 PM
Suspended

In The Realms Of The Unreal
Flaming Lips: Fearless Freaks
Jeremiah: s1
Friday Night Lights: s1
Dexter
The Sand Pebbles
and as mentioned, the Pixies documentary

i freaking love watch it now

makes up for the currently hard to secure/slow to arrive BSG discs
Old 05-28-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The funny What Would Jesus Buy? is now in Watch Instantly (Watch Now)

Watch Rev. Billy preach against the Shopocalypse!

Amen!!!
Old 06-09-08, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by dhmac
The King of Kong (A Fistful of Quarters) is now on "Watch Now"

Very enjoyable documentary
I watched this after checking out this thread and very much enjoyed it. Thanks.
Old 06-25-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In case anyone is curious about seeing just how bad the Day of the Dead remake is, it's now available on Watch Instantly at NetFlix.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.