Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Tower B&M Sucks

Old 12-27-00, 01:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went to go buy TIME CODE yesterday with some Tower credit...MSRP is 24.99, and they had it for $24.99, wow what a great deal! I mean even their online store has it for $18.99... After these prices, I feel less bad about returning stuff there for credit, stuff I bought elsewhere.
Old 12-27-00, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Won't they price match their own website???
Old 12-27-00, 02:28 PM
Banned

I dont think so! Maybe I am wrong....but I highly doubt it.
Old 12-27-00, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

tower is the worst B&M ive ever shopped at for DVDs (except for their $10-15 DVD bins)
Old 12-27-00, 06:32 PM
Cool New Member

Sorry, whats B&M?
Old 12-27-00, 07:26 PM
Cool New Member

"Brick and Mortar" - Term to describe a physical store location, i.e. not a web based store.
Old 12-27-00, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The title of the thread sums up what the DVD department of this store is all about.

------------------
"You had me at hello.....tear." --Dr. Evil
Old 12-28-00, 10:33 AM

Suncoast/Sam Goody/OnCue/Media Play isn't that much better. I went to buy Outlaw Star 2 and it was $9 more than their online price. And no they wouldn't price match. I asked them if their "friendly and informative in-store customer service" was really worth $9 per disc. Surprisingly, they couldn't answer me.

------------------
"Timmy!" - Timmy, South Park

My_Collection
Old 12-29-00, 06:13 AM

Yay, they do suck. But there's nothing we can do about it. I go to Tower B&M every other day to rent Star Trek DS9 episodes and the occasional DVDs since it is only 1.99 everyday. I always see at least two people who buy a handful of DVDs at MSRP which make me crinch. But hey, they got the money to burn, so more power to them and it fulfils their impulse buying.

Towers is definitely raking in the dough and why would they change. But lately, they have priced some of their new releases at 20 percent off, so there goes some bargains.
Old 12-31-00, 11:02 PM

Tower Records/Video/Books in the US has THE WORST customer service I have ever encountered. A place like Best Buy has staff that just doesn't know anything, but Tower has rude and obnoxious people working for them. It's probably how they want it. The lack of product knowledge and the "I don't care" attitude is amazing and borders on plain meaness. I've even caught a staff member making a face at me at the checkout after I inquired about a title that she obviously never heard of. I find this at Tower Stores in NY and LA.

I HAVE BEEN TO TOWER IN THE UK ALSO, AND FIND IT TO BE A COMPLETE REVERSAL. MY EXPERIENCE AT THE PICADILLY STORE HAS BEEN NOTHING SHORT OF GREAT EACH AND EVERYTIME.

[This message has been edited by LARRY64 (edited December 31, 2000).]
Old 01-01-01, 04:02 AM

I agree that Tower B&M is horrible, but why shop there? Their on-line store is great! ANd their prices usually beat Amazon and Buy.com. A lot of click-to-earn sites also sponser them (meaning free GCs).
Old 01-01-01, 04:49 AM

I TOTALLY agree with you. Their prices couln't be any worse. And to top it all off they have no price matching policy whatsoever. I tried to purchase Gladiator from them at the Best Buy price and they staff basically told me to shove it. The worst part of it was there is a Circuit City right next door to them who matched the price in one second. I hope they all go to hell an out of business. They deserve to be flushed down the toilet considering their rude staff and offensive pricing.

------------------
Old 01-01-01, 02:37 PM

One thing Tower Records is cheap for is movie rental. It may not be available in all areas but in the DC area, I was able to rent DVDs for 1.99 + tax for overnight. VHS are 2.99 but on Wed and thurs they are 1/2 price (1.50). Beats blockbuster which are about $4 for dvd rentals! Their selection of DVDs were better than the blockbuster I go to. But they don't offer previous views movies.
Old 01-01-01, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Moving to Online Store Forum ..
Old 01-03-01, 02:45 PM
Cool New Member

quote:<HR>Originally posted by LARRY64:
Tower Records/Video/Books in the US has THE WORST customer service I have ever encountered. ...Tower has rude and obnoxious people working for them. It's probably how they want it. The lack of product knowledge and the "I don't care" attitude is amazing and borders on plain meaness.
<HR>

Just a comment on this. I worked at Tower in the Village for a year, and not everyone was terrible - we had good people in the classical dep't, for sure. But you can't expect great service from a company that pays their employees $5.25 an hour, with a 50 cent raise if they manage to stay 6 months. NYC is so expensive - they're not going to get top-rate people at minumum wage. The strangely high percentage of drug addicts employed there doesn't help, either.

Don't forget about how you treat the clerks, too. We in the service industry are not all stupid, or mean. I go to a great college and have a 3.991 gpa. I'm nice to the people who treat me like a human, but I don't want to give my best to someone who obviously thinks I am far below them. Step back for a second and look at how you're treating the person. They're probably making a face for a reason.
Old 01-03-01, 07:42 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
There is a Tower near me that is going out of business. They were advertising sales on DVD's( 19.99 on sale for 13.99). They jacked up all the prices to MSRP, so the deals are awful. They had Diner for 24.99 which with their liquidation sale made it 18.99
I am glad this one store is going out of business

------------------
Incoming!!!
Sgt. Hulka