Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

When does buy.com ship there preorders?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

When does buy.com ship there preorders?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-00, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have gladiater and x-men on preorder. When should i expect these. They are coming out on the 21.
Old 11-16-00, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Either Friday or the weekend, but with buy.com it might 2-3 days from now, or 2-3 weeks. Good Luck!

------------------

"The way to live a good life is to act on your emotions."

Heero Yuy - Gundam Wing
Old 11-16-00, 05:43 PM

TRUE.
With buy.com its always a crapshoot!
Old 11-16-00, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They usually ship from 4 to 6 days before release - i had one pre-order shipped on the Wednesday before. But my last 4 pre-orders have all shipped late - one was shipped a week late. So you never know with them.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 11-16-00, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Buy typically ships my preorders on the Thurs, Fri, or Sat prior to the movies release date the following Tuesday!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 11-16-00, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by djones6746:
Buy typically ships my preorders on the Thurs, Fri, or Sat prior to the movies release date the following Tuesday!!!

<HR>

Same here

Old 11-17-00, 02:25 PM

The key words in the last two posts are "usually" and "typically." God forbid you get stuck in their pre-order purgatory, where Buy.com is suddenly unable to locate a distributor. When this happens -- and it's happening a lot lately -- you can kiss your pre-order goodbye.
Old 11-17-00, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Birdcell:
The key words in the last two posts are "usually" and "typically." God forbid you get stuck in their pre-order purgatory, where Buy.com is suddenly unable to locate a distributor. When this happens -- and it's happening a lot lately -- you can kiss your pre-order goodbye.<HR>

While this does happen occasionally.....it does not mean you can kiss your preorder goodbye!! At most, I have waited one to two weeks tops!!!! I do not mind waiting for a title that I know will eventually get to me....especially for the prices I have received along with coupons!!! Lately, Buy.com's preorder prices have risen but once again...if they are going to continue to offer coupons and I can maintain an average disc cost of no more than $13-$15 per disc shipped...I consider this a good deal!!

------------------

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 11-18-00, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Recieved my dvd's today. Going to watch x-men right now.
Old 11-18-00, 02:28 AM

Bought X-men from buy.com, received today.
Bought Gladiator from Amazon.com, hasn't shipped.
As long as they continue to offer $10 off $30 on top of already low prices, that's where the majority of my $$ is going.
Old 11-18-00, 03:44 PM

I received X-Men and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles from buy.com today.

------------------
My DVD Collection
Old 11-18-00, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've ALWAYS gotten my pre-orders in time with them. No complaints here and I've been a loyal customer for a long time now
Old 11-18-00, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They've actually been very good with me on preorders - I got xmen today and received shipping notifications for bridge on the river kwai,chicken run,romper stomper and caribbean dreaming yesterday or today, all due out on 11/24. Earlier this week got fantasia anthology,the blob,moody blues,gimme shelter and the year of the horse, all on time. Backorders are a little different story with buy.com. There's often a lengthy wait.
Old 11-19-00, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The last few weeks I've been getting my preorders on Saturday or Monday, with the status showing shipped the day after they're shipped & the email usually a day later, if at all. It figures that this week with all the good movies (8 preorders) none are showing shipped yet. Even though they're on orders with more obscure movies that I got early. It seems that they have more problems with the bigger titles. I can't believe they didn't get enough X-Men & Gladiator. Hopefully their system's just jammed with all the orders shipped this weekend & mine have gone out. I can't wait to watch these on my 65" HDTV for the first time with the sound cranked up (DTS Gladiator!), didn't see either in the theater since I have one in my house.
Old 11-19-00, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles and Class will be at my front door on Monday!!! Probably will not receive Gladiator from Amazon until later next week but who cares when you pay a total cost of $10 for it...

------------------

Barney Fife
Old 11-19-00, 11:29 AM

I have always gotten my DVD's on time from them except for the past couple weeks. Every order has been late.
Old 11-20-00, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My Planes, Trains & Autos and Escape from NY came on Saturday, a nice three day jump on the street date.

Beats the hell out of Amazon, who are always after the street date.

------------------
"I do wish we could chat longer, but I'm having an old friend for dinner."
Old 11-20-00, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will be getting another late order. They shipped Gasaraki vol. 3 (anime title) on Friday, but they didn't ship Gladiator or Chicken Run. *sigh*
Old 11-20-00, 04:38 PM
Banned

I recieved X-men, Gladiator, Planes, Trains & Automobiles, and The Bridge on the River Kwai on Friday and Saturday.

------------------
Tracked DVD's
Old 11-20-00, 07:22 PM
Cool New Member

I received Gladiator on Thursday and got Planes, Trains and Automobiles and Up In Smoke today (Monday). I have found that buy.com does a good job of getting the preorders to me early...but there have been exceptions. I ordered Lost Films of Laurel and Hardy #8 and 9, which came out early October, according to their site, and still haven't received them.
Old 11-21-00, 04:56 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by djones6746:
While this does happen occasionally.....it does not mean you can kiss your preorder goodbye!! At most, I have waited one to two weeks tops!!!! I do not mind waiting for a title that I know will eventually get to me....especially for the prices I have received along with coupons!!! <HR>

Wow, consider yourself lucky. My last three or four pre-orders all got sat on by Buy.com. Worst was their performance with "Spinal Tap," which some people in this forum cancelled after several weeks! I agree that Buy.com's prices might merit a wait here and there, but these late shippings make me wonder if there's a deeper problem with Buy, especially in their relationship with distributors...

------------------
------------------------
PLEASE NOTE: Any similarities between the opinions written above and the opinions of anyone living or dead are purely coincidental
Old 11-21-00, 07:25 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Birdcell:
I agree that Buy.com's prices might merit a wait here and there, but these late shippings make me wonder if there's a deeper problem with Buy, especially in their relationship with distributors...

<HR>

While I would say that it is hard to wait for things for any length of time, all in all buy.com does a pretty good job. I however must disagree with you on the distributor problems. I think the problem is not an issue between the distributors and buy.com, but more of a problem in the way distributor inventory works. Whereas Amazon, who also orders from Ingram, puts in one order for 10million units of a DVD, buy.com puts in 10 million orders for 1 unit. There are a few mistakes that are bound to happen on the Ingram side from time to time, especially on items that are a little harder to get than others (Under produced, delayed by manufacturer, etc).