Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How does UPS track locations?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 02-07-18, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

They failed to deliver a package(ordered from Amazon) to my dad's house yesterday. It had the correct address and city on it but UPS said there was an error on the address.
Amazon chose UPS(for some unknown reason) and I called and complained about it and they gave me 5 dollars off my next order.

UPS is supposed to make an attempted delivery today.
Old 02-07-18, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts
Re: How does UPS track locations?

With UPS it could have been anything. I've had drivers never show up then update the package to "receiver not available", when I was clearly home all day waiting. I truly believe that if they're behind on their route, they mark packages as some type of error to avoid having to deliver them that day.
Old 02-08-18, 10:01 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a package delivered to a neighbor a couple doors down not immediate neighbor as I checked. It was a replacement credit card so I was worried about not receiving it. I called late at night to complain and they "traced" the delivery. A couple days later the regular delivery person approached me with what appeared to be a Google Maps print with GPS data showing the actual house down the street with a time stamp of delivery. In the mean time after cancelling the replacement card the neighbor dropped off the envelope to me. Not sure if all packages, possibly using their wireless terminal thing, or just "next-day" packages are tracked this way.
Old 02-08-18, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a house number clearly in front of my house and I still get wrong deliveries (UPS and US Mail). A lot of them have been in last few months.
Old 02-08-18, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They failed delivery once again.

Talked to someone from UPS.

They are going to find a driver that is more familiar with the area.

They are supposed to call me back shortly about the situation.
Old 02-09-18, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

I just had a weird one with UPS. Amazon shipment. They delivered to the local UPS Store. No door tag. And it just said something like 'front office' in tracking. But they hold it at a UPS Store a couple miles away.

I've shipped and received tens-of-thousands of packages in my lifetime. This practice is new to me. I thought the package was lost.
Old 02-09-18, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I have a house number clearly in front of my house and I still get wrong deliveries (UPS and US Mail). A lot of them have been in last few months.
I think they're getting so overwhelmed by ecommerce that they're starting to care less and less about who gets the right packages.

I mentioned it on here awhile back. But I got a random package that was supposed to be delivered a few streets over. I figured 'fuck it' (it's not my job to re-deliver packages that some lazy driver dumped on my doorstep) and opened it. Free $22 Bluetooth mouse!

It was from a 3rd party Amazon seller. They're the ones who lost on the deal. Amazon doesn't generally reimburse for that kind of thing. The seller just has to eat it.
Old 02-13-18, 09:33 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Logistics.
Old 02-13-18, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,452 Posts

Originally Posted by JackoOnHisBacko
Logistics.
Having a job where I work with logistics companies every day, it's amazing that anything gets successfully delivered anywhere, there is serious ineptitude at every level. The idiots I have to deal with, I swear! And UPS is particularly horrendous.
Old 02-22-18, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I think they're getting so overwhelmed by ecommerce that they're starting to care less and less about who gets the right packages.

I mentioned it on here awhile back. But I got a random package that was supposed to be delivered a few streets over. I figured 'fuck it' (it's not my job to re-deliver packages that some lazy driver dumped on my doorstep) and opened it. Free $22 Bluetooth mouse!

It was from a 3rd party Amazon seller. They're the ones who lost on the deal. Amazon doesn't generally reimburse for that kind of thing. The seller just has to eat it.
And you feel good about stiffing a person because of a UPS mistake? You didn't have to deliver it yourself, could have just called UPS to have them pick it up for free.
Old 02-22-18, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
And you feel good about stiffing a person because of a UPS mistake? You didn't have to deliver it yourself, could have just called UPS to have them pick it up for free.
Guess some people are too lazy to pick up the phone.