Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Why is TV on SD-DVD still so over-priced?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-25-16, 12:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are these greedy goddamn companies thinking? We can routinely get shows on blu-ray for $10-15 per season, especially on black friday. From Breaking Bad to Big Bang, it doesn't matter. All these big shows go cheap. Yet, shows that certain studios still insist on releasing DVD-only, in spite of some of them airing in HD, are always priced higher. I was able to score NCIS season 12 via lightning deal last year for $10. Yet, another year has gone by and we have UHD format discs releasing now, but NCIS season 13 was still released with the same $40 MSRP for a DVD and no deals this year. $30 is apparently the best price. Law and Order seasons new and old suffer the same insane prices. I'm up to date on everything L&O except Criminal Intent, which is fucking old and should be $15 or less per season. It's really pissing me off that these studios are still demanding a premium on SD content AND insist on continuing to ONLY release HDTV shows in SD. I was collecting a few other shows too (George Lopez, Nanny, Elementary), but again, none are dropping low enough to bother finishing the damn set.
Old 11-25-16, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Why is TV on SD-DVD still so over-priced?

My question is why are TV shows still being released AT ALL on standard DVD instead of Blu-Ray? Those who care about quality should want them on Blu-Ray, while those who don't care about quality are likely watching them on digital (or even worse, cable.)
Old 11-25-16, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts

I guess I'm old because I still marvel at the idea that one can grab 20 hours of entertainment for only $40. If movies were priced the same, it'd be $4 for a new release 2 hour film. I remember when TV on VHS, if it got released at all, was typically at least $20 for a two-hour tape.
Old 11-26-16, 06:13 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 253 Posts

OP, I find it particularly true of Doctor Who seasons. A couple of years ago I found Doctor Who: The Complete Fifth Series at Best Buy, on blu-ray, on sale for $19.99. It's the only TV show/season I own on blu-ray and I wish I had it on DVD, the audio levels on this BD season is outrageous, dialog is so quiet you have to turn the volume way up to hear what they're saying and yet when a series of sound effects hits, it damn near blows you out of your chair (pisses my wife off no end). I've since changed settings in my BD setup to help that, and I haven't watched it since, but for me, DVD has always been sufficient for TV shows.

Doctor Who: The Complete Fifth Series on DVD lists for $80, routinely sells for $40/$70 (depending on where you look) for 13 episodes...