Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 09-26-16, 05:01 PM   #1

NewEgg has really gone downhill over the years

I miss the days when NewEgg was a new thing. Everything was real 3 UPS day shipping, no bullshit smartpost/DHL, and everything was surrounded by packing pellets in the shipping box. Now the only place you can get things packed properly to avoid damage is Japan. That had great customer service, etc. Now they've copied Amazon and turned into a bullshit marketplace site, with brain-dead customer service like everywhere else. The only good thing about ordering from them is that they're one of only reputable places to get games/electronics/PC parts and NOT pay sales tax. However, one of their more recent changes has ensured that I won't order anymore game consoles form them. The problem is, where else is there to order/preorder games/consoles that doesn't charge sales tax in every goddamn state? I have Amazon Prime, so that's cool, BUT Amazon doesn't use any goddamn padding to ship consoles or other electronics. It's ridiculous!
Old 09-27-16, 01:28 PM   #2

Re: NewEgg has really gone downhill over the years

Yeah I have to agree... I use them less and less as time goes on mainly as they no longer use UPS as their primary shipper. Hate FedEx with a passion.
Old 09-27-16, 04:19 PM   #3

Well for me, and I'm not a gamer so that part isn't important to me, I still use them for almost all my components and peripherals. I guess it's like everything else, change is inevitable or they die. I rarely need to contact service/support other than a couple years ago when a HD was DOA and that was resolved just fine. I just received a toner for my Brother printer and even with free shipping, yes it was smartpost (I think) but free is free so I can't complain. I do admit it's the mobile app deal thing that I always seem to check out.
Old 09-27-16, 04:45 PM   #4
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used to buy all my computer components from Newegg, haven't bought anything from them in quite awhile. It seems like they're geared towards the latest and greatest these days. Just had a computer that needed a replacement stick of memory, Newegg doesn't even carry it anymore. Had to go to my other go-to memory supplier OEMPCWORLD to get it. If they don't want to carry components for older computers anymore, that's fine, I'll just go elsewhere. Their loss, not mine.

My DVD/BD Collection
Old 09-27-16, 06:44 PM   #5
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm not sure that you can really blame NewEgg for any tax situations, as annoying as it can be having seen that from Amazon a few years back.

That said, I don't buy much from NewEgg either after previously relying on them solely for computer parts. Their prices basically just feel in line with other online stores, and the local computer store MicroCenter beats them significantly in many parts like CPU and RAM.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 09-27-16, 08:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I'm not sure that you can really blame NewEgg for any tax situations, as annoying as it can be having seen that from Amazon a few years back.

That said, I don't buy much from NewEgg either after previously relying on them solely for computer parts. Their prices basically just feel in line with other online stores, and the local computer store MicroCenter beats them significantly in many parts like CPU and RAM.
Read it again. NewEgg is still tax free for me. I'm blaming them for their fucking return/replacement policies. If an Xbox gets crushed by UPS, they expect you to go through Microsoft and end up with a refurbished piece of shit instead of a brand new console replacement quick and simple from them.
Old 09-28-16, 01:40 AM   #7
DVD Talk Godfather

Ah, you were complaining about other stores not being tax free. My bad.

Is there policy on consoles really to just go through the manufacturer? I'd be surprised if they didn't actually accept an exchange for something damaged upon arrival. That said, I see so many deals on consoles that i'd be surprised if NewEgg is significantly cheaper even with tax.

And of course you can GFY. -chess

Last edited by fumanstan; 09-28-16 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-28-16, 01:02 PM   #8
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i don't know about gaming stuff, but for computer stuff, I often (but not always) find stuff cheaper at provantage.com.
Old 03-23-17, 09:39 PM   #9

Everyone do me a quick favor and email NewEgg (wecare@newegg.com) asking them to add a profile option to opt out of ALL marketplace stuff on their website. I'm going to keep nagging them until they do it. It's a simple option, and it's a win-win for them. I don't want to shop other sellers or see their listings/prices on NewEgg EVER. I should NOT have to go through extra clicks to filter every search I do or find NewEgg's price on an item page because the other seller was a few cents cheaper. I don't care. I go to NewEgg to buy from NewEgg!

This was mine:
Quote:
I want a setting in my NewEgg profile to always see ONLY items sold by
NewEgg directly. I NEVER want to see marketplace listings in search
results OR on item pages. I should NOT have to filter the search
results on every visit (at least cookie that FFS!), and I should NEVER
have to scroll down an item page to get NewEgg's price because it
defaulted to a marketplace seller. If I want to deal with marketplace
shit, I'll go to Amazon or Ebay. I want the option to hide it forever.
I've been shopping at NewEgg for over 12 years now, and I do NOT like
the direction it has gone trying to copy Amazon, etc.
Old 03-23-17, 10:53 PM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

It's been years I haven't shopped there. I even forgot they existed.
Old 03-26-17, 06:47 AM   #11
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper187 View Post
Everyone do me a quick favor and email NewEgg (wecare@newegg.com) asking them to add a profile option to opt out of ALL marketplace stuff on their website. I'm going to keep nagging them until they do it. It's a simple option, and it's a win-win for them.
They'll never do it. A default option to suppress the marketplace listings would devalue it for marketplace sellers, causing them to move their effort and inventory to Amazon, eBay, etc.

Really, how hard is it for you to simply click the button to only show sold by Newegg results? There's an option to do it both at the top of search results and on the left-hand filter side.