Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Dash Button

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon Dash Button

Old 03-31-15, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Amazon Dash Button

https://www.amazon.com/oc/dash-butto..._s_amzn_nm31vy

This seems kind of neat. Basically a small button that you setup with your phone and on your Wifi to automatically reorder common household things at a press of a button.

Dash Button comes with a reusable adhesive and a hook so you can hang, stick, or place it right where you need it. Keep Dash Button handy in the kitchen, bath, laundry, or anywhere you store your favorite products. When you're running low, simply press Dash Button, and Amazon quickly delivers household favorites so you can skip the last-minute trip to the store.
Dash Button is simple to set up. Use the Amazon app on your smartphone to easily connect to your home Wi-Fi network and select the product you want to reorder with Dash Button. Once connected, a single press automatically places your order. Amazon sends an order alert to your phone, so it's easy to cancel if you change your mind. Unless you elect otherwise, Dash Button responds only to your first press until your order is delivered.
Waiting for the Amazon haters to chime in about how evil this is.
Old 03-31-15, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: Amazon Dash Button

Down to the last roll of TP? Hit a button, you get a new 12-pack in two days? Freakin' ingenious
Old 03-31-15, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Alexa is already obsolete because she's too much trouble, and is probably only in one room.

But then this thing is free too. I requested an invite even though I may never use it.
Old 03-31-15, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

My one year old would have a field day once he figured out what the button can do.
Old 03-31-15, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assumed they had their April Fool's item up early
Old 04-01-15, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Sounds great - we are always running out of basic things like Clorox wipes.

Also, does not appear to be an April Fool's joke.
Old 04-01-15, 11:28 AM

I keep trying to give Amazon the benefit of the doubt here but it's just not working. If I'm a Prime customer, and I run out of an item, why can't I just take the phone out of my pocket and 1 click order it? With DashButton you have to confirm the order on your phone anyway...
Old 04-01-15, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by arbogast777
I keep trying to give Amazon the benefit of the doubt here but it's just not working. If I'm a Prime customer, and I run out of an item, why can't I just take the phone out of my pocket and 1 click order it? With DashButton you have to confirm the order on your phone anyway...
Take your phone out, unlock the screen, boot up the app, search for the product you want in the correct size/quantity, one-click it. That's significantly more steps, and you may be doing laundry or changing a diaper at the time. And it sounds like the phone is just for canceling, not confirming.

But I can see why they would give this away for free since I'm sure the companies are paying to have their buttons available so they can have a permanent ad in people's homes. Looks like if you get an invite, you select which particular buttons you want.
Old 04-01-15, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
Take your phone out, unlock the screen, boot up the app, search for the product you want in the correct size/quantity, one-click it. That's significantly more steps, and you may be doing laundry or changing a diaper at the time.
Or just fire up the app and scan the products bar code?

That sounds terrible but damnit I'll tough it out...
Old 04-01-15, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by arbogast777
I agree, whether or not you have to confirm the order. Plus I'd want to check the price first. Amazon does *not* always have the best price on such products, and is frequently higher on almost all of them when compared to local stores in my town. Convenience *always* takes a back seat to price in my house. To buy into this service Amazon would have to offer these products at generous discounts to make it worth my time.

One statement is simply ludicrous:
When you're running low, simply press Dash Button, and Amazon quickly delivers household favorites so you can skip the last-minute trip to the store.
OK... it's at least 2 days after pressing the button before I get the item. If I know 2 days ahead of time I'm running out/low and need more it's *not* a "last-minute trip to the store" as I can simply go by anytime in the next couple of days. Last minute is when I pull that last square of TP off the roll and discover there's no more in the closet, discover I just got the last diaper out of the package, have only half enough detergent to run that load of laundry and I need that load clean *today*, etc. If they can get it to me within a couple of *hours* then I'm on board (as long as there's no price premium attached).

Why not just make these products available as Subscribe-and-Save (if not already). After all, you should have a good idea about how frequently you purchase such supplies. With Subscribe-and-Save I only have to worry if I have *too much* in stock and it's very easy to skip a shipment if necessary, plus there's a discount attached.

Oh yeah... let's not forget about those times Amazon will not have the product in stock. This happens *every* month with random Subscribe-and-Save items. I just checked a few of the items with *this* offer and quite a few of those are OOS from Amazon. I've had Subscribe-and-Save items delayed by 2 weeks due to OOS status on items.

I wish them luck, but I'll not be participating.

**EDIT**
I just read some of the "fine print" on this offer.
Offer limited to three Dash Buttons per customer and account while supplies last.
So... it's a *very* short-list of stuff you can order.

After choosing the product you would like to order through Dash Button, some of the offer details may change as you reorder the product over time (for example, price, taxes, availability, shipping charges, and the seller). If your product is unavailable when you order it, you authorize us to fulfill your Order with a similar substitute product that we believe will meet your expectations. You can see the details for each Order in Your Orders. After placing an Order, you have a window of time to confirm details and make any changes to that Order
(bolded section by me) Well... they just ship whatever they have laying around from any old seller. Right now, a offer for TP that shows "$15.96 ($0.50/Count)" regular price (Prime only) and "$15.16 ($0.47/Count) Subscribe & Save" (with a $2 coupon I'm sure the button will not apply) is really "$31.09 + Free Shipping In Stock . Sold by Soap.com (Quidsi Retail, an Amazon company)" (no coupon available with the vendor) meaning you'd pay over *twice* as much as if you just had a S&S subscription, used the coupon, and waited it out.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 04-01-15 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-01-15, 03:11 PM

^ That's a good point. I'm not ordering stuff if I can't check the price first...
Old 04-05-15, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know i am putting butt plugs as one of my dash items.
Old 04-05-15, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If Amazon ever gets Amazon Prime Air off the ground (pun intended) then I could see this becoming somewhat viable given the stated 30 minutes or less delivery time. Otherwise, I can't see this actually working although I am intrigued by the idea for common household items that you might not need right away, but when you notice you're running low could just hit the button and order.
Old 05-12-15, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Apparently these are going out; this guy took it apart to see what's in them.

http://www.bitsofcents.com/post/1187...bling-the-dash