Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart's Price Matching Backfires -- Fooled by Customers

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-19-14, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

The giant retailer was tricked into selling $400 PlayStation 4 consoles for $90!

http://wgntv.com/2014/11/19/wal-mart...nsoles-for-90/
Old 11-20-14, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Wal-Mart's Price Matching Backfires -- Fooled by Customers

Pretty clever scam. Create a listing on Amazon for $90, whip out your phone in checkout and have some clueless cashier take off $310.
Old 11-20-14, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 881 Likes on 711 Posts

Clever trick... using Amazon to their advantage!
Old 11-20-14, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Even more clever, Walmart using this story as viral marketing fuel to advertise their price-matching for the most important shopping weeks of the year.
Old 11-21-14, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 272 Likes on 227 Posts

Phantom might be correct, sounds like a marketing stunt. I do not buy that Walmart's price scan app is not coded to tell the difference between an Amazon marketplace listing vs the same product offered by Amazon proper.

On the other hand, as they say...life is oftentimes stranger than fiction, so if this was a real goof on the part of the cashier, I feel bad for this individual because they were either let go (at minimum put on a pip, or Walmart equivalent) or will have their next paycheck docked.
Old 03-15-19, 04:19 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

In 2017, Wal-Mart eliminated their price matching policy and instead implemented the Savings Catcher program. This program basically asked customers to download the Wal-Mart app and submit their purchase receipts to it and WM system would determine if there were any lower prices in stores nearby. If there were any lower prices, Wal-Mart would then give the customer a refund for the price difference in the form of a e-gift card. Late last year, WM decided to change the program once again and would now only do the Savings Catcher deal if the customer paid using the Wal-Mart Pay on the app. So now they were not only asking to track your purchases but also add your personal credit card so you could use Wal-Mart pay and get a difference for the lower prices in other stores. Well, now I got an email saying that Wal-Mart always has the lowest prices (which is a lie) and will be eliminating the program on May 14, 2019. Seriously, these guys are simply assholes.
Old 03-15-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

It was always a program intended to lure in younger consumers and then sucker them into using their Walmart Pay app. It's pretty obvious the initiative was a failure.
Old 03-15-19, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

I probably got 150 bucks back from Savings Catcher over a year or so. However, once they started the Walmart Pay, I was no longer concerned with trying to save money through them and diverted a lot of my grocery shopping to another store.
Old 03-17-19, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

I used the Savings Catcher, but never the Walmart Pay app. The change in terms to the Savings Catcher was expected, because people like me would pick up receipts in the parking lot to scan in. I also probably got around $150, with very little of that being my own actual purchases. WalMart has cheaper prices on some things I've paid attention to, but not on others.
Old 03-17-19, 02:49 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I used the Savings Catcher, but never the Walmart Pay app. The change in terms to the Savings Catcher was expected, because people like me would pick up receipts in the parking lot to scan in. I also probably got around $150, with very little of that being my own actual purchases. WalMart has cheaper prices on some things I've paid attention to, but not on others.
That’s some Danol-class skillz.