Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

New Amazon.com restrictions for 3rd party sellers of DVDs/Blus with an MSRP of $25+

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

New Amazon.com restrictions for 3rd party sellers of DVDs/Blus with an MSRP of $25+

Old 10-11-14, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 272 Likes on 227 Posts
Re: New Amazon.com restrictions for 3rd party sellers of DVDs/Blus with an MSRP of $2

I know a lot of people on the web whine about the prices they get from Rasputin's (are they only in CA?), but I have had great luck selling DVDs and BLUs for a combo cash/credit deal that nets me as much, if not more than I would clear from eBay. Not to mention how much time and labor is saved from all the prep work that goes into putting stuff on eBay!
Old 10-28-14, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: New Amazon.com restrictions for 3rd party sellers of DVDs/Blus with an MSRP of $2

I've just been trying to clear out my own rather large DVD collection (thanks to DVDTalk). I can't afford to invest money in a bunch of wholesale/liquidation stock just to get approved. I don't have the room for my own DVDs as it is!

Anyone have any ideas? I've also been listing on eBay/Half but I only get like 1/10th of the sales there that I do with Amazon.
Old 10-28-14, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Screen Archives is now buying used CD's, DVD's, and Blu-rays. You gotta send them a list of your stuff and they will give you a quote.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 10-30-14 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-29-14, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle

I'd say half.com, but its fees have gotten outrageous once it was taken over by the Ebay monster years ago.... So?
not sure how the fees are outrageous at half.com? I have been selling there since its inception and it has been a flat 15% of the sale price for as long as I can remember. Plus no PayPal fees since they direct deposit your money.

I hope this hurts selection at amazon and drives more customers back to half.com.

I am not a fan of eBay but I have never had a problem with half.com even though they own it.
Old 10-30-14, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Selling alternatives to Amazon & Ebay:

Setting your own price:

Half.com - Never had any bad experiences. Only downside is that not as many people buy from there as they used to. This might change with individual sellers fleeing from Amazon.

Alibris.com - I've bought used books & DVDs over the years from small third party sellers there. I've never sold there so I don't know their selling policies.

Trading in:

Most people here know Secondspin/FYE. Sometimes Used DVD Empire offers decent buyback prices. I usually doublecheck their price quotes whenever I'm considering selling DVDs to Secondspin. http://www.useddvdempire.com

Originally Posted by My Other Self
If you have a local record store that accepts trade-ins, I'd try there.
Old 10-31-14, 11:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I have sold a lot on half.com over the years. The only real problem is that the shipping allowance they give makes you lose money if you add stuff like tracking which is always a good idea to do. Inventory on there definitely moves a heckuva lot slower than it used to in prior years though.
Old 11-01-14, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I love Half. The problem is, most people don't look there, especially for high-end stuff like Criterions or imports.

I have stuff listed there for months with no action. Throw it on Amazon or eBay, and it sells within days.
Old 11-01-14, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by malazar
I have sold a lot on half.com over the years. The only real problem is that the shipping allowance they give makes you lose money if you add stuff like tracking which is always a good idea to do. Inventory on there definitely moves a heckuva lot slower than it used to in prior years though.
If you print the USPS shipping label through Half/Ebay, Delivery Confirmation is automatically added. It's included in the cost of First Class mail, and I think 23 cents extra for Media Mail. Printing postage at home is cheaper than buying it at the post office.
Old 11-01-14, 01:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
If you print the USPS shipping label through Half/Ebay, Delivery Confirmation is automatically added. It's included in the cost of First Class mail, and I think 23 cents extra for Media Mail. Printing postage at home is cheaper than buying it at the post office.
Very true. I usually do that with my ebay packages that are over a pound. I really should invest in a small scale for the smaller stuff since the weight seems to vary from one package to another, so I can take better advantage of that for half sales.
Old 11-03-14, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
BULLSHIT! This is just their cover up to eliminate competition, which is "us".
Yup. They got rid of competitors like Borders and Circuit City. Best Buy and B&N are on the ropes, and now they go after individual sellers. Give it some more time, and there will be less and less good deals to find on amazon. Heck, there's far less deals today than there were just a year or two ago. Less competition, less deals.
Old 11-03-14, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll be listing some stuff on Ebay this week, so we'll see how that goes.
Old 11-04-14, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by malazar
Very true. I usually do that with my ebay packages that are over a pound. I really should invest in a small scale for the smaller stuff since the weight seems to vary from one package to another, so I can take better advantage of that for half sales.
The cheapest, tiniest weight scale (only weighs up to 5 lbs) I bought from the USPS years ago has served me well. Most DVDs & BDs weigh 3-5 oz, so I can tell you from memory that electronic postage 3.1-4oz is $2.01 and 4.1-5oz is $2.09 First Class including Delivery Confirmation. Hell, the USPS recently started adding free Delivery Confirmation to certain International countries - exclusive to buying postage online. Doesn't quite justify the hike in fees, but *shrug* it's a trade-off.

The only Ebay formality I really object to is the fact that, according to their official rules, sellers must only accept payment via Paypal. Technically, if a buyer wants to pay by cash/check/money order, Ebay pretty much mandates that sellers refuse these options. I don't know if they've actually clamped down on sellers who accept payment by mail, but you're only eligible for "Seller Protection" if they can trace the buyer's Paypal transaction.

At any rate, the value of used CDs & DVDs ain't what they used to be. 10 years ago when I was a member of Columbia House (in their better days), I was comfortable with blind buys because if I didn't like the movie, I could sell my used copy on Ebay and often break even. Nowadays... *PFFT* ... even most Blu-rays wouldn't achieve that.

I mean, you know the value of physical media has gone down when you can't even SWAP certain titles on DVD/BD swap sites because there's a huge line of people waiting to get rid of their copies!
Old 11-08-14, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Well...this is the last week before the 'stick up'.

It's kind of irrelevant for me at the moment because I'm just a few sales away from hitting 200 (which initiates the automatic IRS filing). I wanted to keep it under that anyway, so I've already closed listings for most of the small potato items, and just left a couple big ticket things (not dvds) up.

Since I've already subsidized most of my intended media purchases for the next couple months with this last month of sales, I'm not in a huge hurry right now to hit ebay and start listing. I'll survey the landscape in January and see how it looks. I've got plenty of books that I need to clear out too, so I may just concentrate on moving those for a while.

After leaving ebay a few years back and before hitting Amazon, I briefly dealt with Newtown.. I screwed myself on a lot of OoP stuff, but it was kind of nice just packing everything up one time in one box and getting a check. They also offered a shipping subsidy.
Another alternative is DVD Empire which has a used outlet. The prices they pay suck, but for a lot of what I sent them it just wouldn't have been worth the hassle to try to list it anywhere, and then pack it up and ship it if it sold. The prices averaged $1.25 per disc, and I shipped them about $100 worth of stuff that was basically worthless to me. I hate to think of how much I paid for all that back in the day and only got one viewing out of...but I'd rather have the $100 now than another big box of useless shit hogging up space.
Old 11-08-14, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll have to see what Second Spin and Sell DVDsOnline is up to. I've used them in combination and it's worked out okay. What's funny is that sometimes Second Spin will pay more for something than selldvdsonline and vice versa. It's way better to mix and match them, so you can get a better overall deal in the end. Also, for books, there's SellYourBooks dot com.
Old 11-08-14, 07:38 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Well...this is the last week before the 'stick up'.

It's kind of irrelevant for me at the moment because I'm just a few sales away from hitting 200 (which initiates the automatic IRS filing). I wanted to keep it under that anyway, so I've already closed listings for most of the small potato items, and just left a couple big ticket things (not dvds) up.

S
You have to have $20,000 in gross sales as well as 200 sales on amazon to get a report. The $20,000 includes shipping.
Old 11-10-14, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'll have to see what Second Spin and Sell DVDsOnline is up to. I've used them in combination and it's worked out okay. What's funny is that sometimes Second Spin will pay more for something than selldvdsonline and vice versa. It's way better to mix and match them, so you can get a better overall deal in the end. Also, for books, there's SellYourBooks dot com.
Just when I was thinking of selling some things on Amazon!

Anyway, I know that when you sell to Secondspin, they just sell your used products on their site (maybe sometimes some stuff gets sent to their retail stores, as I've seen many CDs and DVDs in FYE stores that had been sold to them online), but where do they sell the CDs or DVDs that you send to Sell DVDsOnline? They do offer better prices on certain things so I was thinking of mixing and matching the stuff I want to sell.
Old 11-10-14, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

I'm still using my local Movie Stop for trades which helps. I don't blind by as much anymore, so I have less to flip and honestly rather burned out on selling online. Guess I will use this to take a break for awhile.
Old 11-10-14, 08:54 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I looked at Sell DVDsOnline, but it had some BS disclaimer that they don't have to return your items if they dont buy them."items received that do not meet these requirements are not eligible for payment, will be deducted from the total amount and associated shipping charges (based on weight, we will subtract the weight of that item from your total weight and adjust the shipping appropriately) and will not be returned... "

Sounds like a great way to keep your items for free to me.

And secondspin has the personal use disclaimer about no overstock items.

Last edited by g; 11-10-14 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-11-14, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by g
I looked at Sell DVDsOnline, but it had some BS disclaimer that they don't have to return your items if they dont buy them."items received that do not meet these requirements are not eligible for payment, will be deducted from the total amount and associated shipping charges (based on weight, we will subtract the weight of that item from your total weight and adjust the shipping appropriately) and will not be returned... "

Sounds like a great way to keep your items for free to me.

And secondspin has the personal use disclaimer about no overstock items.
I noticed that too, so I think I'll stick to SecondSpin. SecondSpin says they won't return your items - even though they do (despite the fact that it takes a few weeks to get them back). I've never had a problem selling multiple copies of things to them - I've had multiple copies of CDs for my house and car, and they will accept them so long as you don't send more than two(?) copies in your order.
Old 11-12-14, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
I'd say half.com, but its fees have gotten outrageous once it was taken over by the Ebay monster years ago.... So?
Actually, they haven't. If you can believe it, fees actually went down under eBay. Half.com is pretty much the only part of eBay's business where fees haven't gone up over the past 14 years.

Half.com was acquired by eBay on June 14, 2000. Here is Half.com's seller fees page as of June 6, 2000:

https://web.archive.org/web/20000606...ection=getpaid

As you can see, Half.com launched with a flat 15% fee for everything. Compare that to the fees today:

http://pages.half.ebay.com/help/sell...id.html#toc-01

There's a tiered system now. 15% is the highest fee tier, but it goes down from there as the product price increases.
Old 11-13-14, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 881 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
.html#toc-01[/url]

There's a tiered system now. 15% is the highest fee tier, but it goes down from there as the product price increases.
I see, well thanks for setting the record straight. That's good to know... I thought they were still 15% across the board, in addition to the Paypal fees. So, perhaps it may be seen to be a viable alternative when selling items > $50 over Amazon or Ebay.
Old 11-16-14, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I think eBay has literally forgotten about Half.com. They haven't updated the site's design in eons. I still use it occasionally but you can tell that fewer and fewer sellers actively list things on it.

The good thing about Half is that the shipping on a single item is still cheap and you can get cashback from various sites.
Old 11-17-14, 06:12 AM

The restrictions are going in to effect. They apply to both in print DVDs and OOP DVDs, no matter how long ago they went OOP.

I sold MST3000 Vol. 10 (the recalled release) a few days ago used, it went OOP back in 2006. It wasn't restricted before, but it is now (as are the rest of the MST3000 OOP sets).
Old 11-17-14, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

This will drive business to eBay. Amazon must realize that and doesn't care.
Old 11-17-14, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This will drive business to eBay. Amazon must realize that and doesn't care.
Neither does eBay. They do their best to drive out small sellers as well.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.