Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Did Amazon Ditch Their Quick Picks Feature?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 07-17-14, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't had any in months. Did they stop doing this?
Old 07-17-14, 10:54 PM

Received 1,889 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Re: Did Amazon Ditch Their Quick Picks Feature?

Fine by me. They've been terrible picks forever. They've been offering me products I already purchased at Amazon, products I clearly wouldn't be interested in, and a ton, a ton of pet supplies and I have no pets.

It's too bad, though. It used to be excellent and I got some great picks out of it over the years.
Old 07-18-14, 07:38 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

I was just wondering the same thing and coming here to post a thread.

I didn't get awesome choices like some people here seemed to over the years, but it saved me a bit of $ here and there.
Originally Posted by story
Fine by me. They've been terrible picks forever. They've been offering me products I already purchased at Amazon, products I clearly wouldn't be interested in, and a ton, a ton of pet supplies and I have no pets.

It's too bad, though. It used to be excellent and I got some great picks out of it over the years.
I went thru a similar period where it was all pet crap.

Turns out my wife had looked at pet supplies and I never log out of my account, so that mystery was solved. I'm sure it was something similar in your case story.
Old 07-18-14, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, the site is confusing and not really friendly now too as it seems like they switched to a lot of digital coupons instead of the gold box stuff.
Old 07-19-14, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

They seemingly got rid of it a few months ago, though it appears to have been phased out at different time periods for different accounts. Amazon was very tricky to slowly eliminate it instead of one sweeping date, which muted the public outcry. I have to admire their business tactics, I would hate to be their competitor.
Old 07-20-14, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there was a thread on their discussion forum that claimed the companies paid to have the items listed in quick picks and stopped that.
Old 07-27-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

After the Q2 financials came out, we got a better idea of why Amazon eliminated it. While revenues were higher than ever, profit margins have been taking a beating at Amazon and they gave guidance for massive losses in Q3.
Old 07-27-14, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I was just wondering the same thing and coming here to post a thread.

I didn't get awesome choices like some people here seemed to over the years, but it saved me a bit of $ here and there.

I went thru a similar period where it was all pet crap.

Turns out my wife had looked at pet supplies and I never log out of my account, so that mystery was solved. I'm sure it was something similar in your case story.
Maybe not. I, too, went through a nothing offereed but pet supplies period. I *never* look at pet supplies as we, nor my kids, do not own a pet. I'm the only one who uses my computer so it couldn't have been a situation like yours.

I *did* wonder why it went away but really don't lament the loss as it rarely offered anything of which I had a interest. On occasion there would be a DVD from my cart with a whopping 50 cents extra off. I could usually beat that by just waiting for a sale.
Old 07-27-14, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

Yeah, mine disappeared a while back. Occasionally I bought some stuff there, like when new releases hit the ~$16 level and came up due to similar purchases.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
After the Q2 financials came out, we got a better idea of why Amazon eliminated it. While revenues were higher than ever, profit margins have been taking a beating at Amazon and they gave guidance for massive losses in Q3.
It's possible, though of course we'll never know for sure. It wasn't THAT big of a discount. It's possible the other features were just more profitable.

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
there was a thread on their discussion forum that claimed the companies paid to have the items listed in quick picks and stopped that.
All kinds of shit goes down in those forums, much of it completely bogus.