Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Do you write Amazon customer reviews?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 04-26-14, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I notice that every time I buy something from Amazon, they place links all over every page and every e-mail practically begging me to review what I just bought. (This is in addition to the links asking if I'd like to buy the item again, or to sell it back to Amazon for pennies.) As tempting as it is to type a little something for everything I buy, I usually restrain myself, for a couple of reasons. First, I see no point in repeating what someone else has already said. There's usually at least one review already posted that I agree with and can give the "yes" vote to, and there usually isn't any important information I feel I can add. Second, if I do decide to write and post a review, I usually make sure it's very thorough. It's not uncommon for me to go over 1,000 words, and writing and editing a single review can take me days, which is beyond exhausting (for unpaid work, anyway). Today I posted my first review since July of 2012, and looking at my review page, I see that I only have 12 posted reviews total since my first in late 2011. Getting positive votes helps me to feel that I'm adding something of value, but like I said, it's rare that I feel I have anything at all to say that hasn't already been posted by dozens of other reviewers.

Anyway, I'm just curious to know how many others here bother with it, and how often. Post a link to your review page, if you wish.
Old 04-27-14, 06:22 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Do you write Amazon customer reviews?

I think that your detailed reviews put many of us to shame. I've been getting these nags lately and thought that one day I might go back a pen a few paragraphs on various purchases going back maybe a decade. Now I'm not so sure!

This being said:

a) Until I perused your pages I was unaware of "Counterfeit Worlds" and
b) I am almost ashamed to say that I especially like the spoof reviews

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pdp/profile/AZN3ZSQQU3WW5
Old 04-27-14, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A lot of spoof reviews are terrible, but Cracked has collected some of the better ones in a series of articles:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18939...c-reviews.html
http://www.cracked.com/article_19080...ews-pt.-2.html
http://www.cracked.com/blog/8-impres...eviews-part-3/

And then George Takei has become known for his better-than-average ones:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...1Q8RI7E9A68SU/
Old 04-27-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I've written a few, but to make it worth my while I'd have to be either really passionate about the product or reviewing something that didn't already have a ton of reviews, which would also mean that my review wouldn't get much exposure. It is gratifying to get those helpful votes acknowledging my existence, though.
Old 04-27-14, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

I've only written one. It was a DVD that had limited reviews. And one of the reviews contained some misinformation, so I felt compelled to write a more accurate description.
Old 04-27-14, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I write quite a few. I tend to focus on the products that either have no reviews or very few or something I feel like I can add something by reviewing (bad experience, good experience compared to other reviewers). There's a few that I even add pictures for. I'm not really looking for yes votes, but I do appreciate when I get one! I don't spend that much time on them though-maybe a couple paragraphs unless it's something I'm very passionate about.
Old 04-27-14, 04:13 PM

I've written a few reviews, but only when I have something unique to say, and tend to stop after making just one or two brief points. I'd certainly like to write more, but there's always something else to do. Skimming your reviews page, kudos for taking the time to provide detailed, well-rounded looks at those books. As a Lugosi fan, I need to pick up a David J. Skal book one of these days.

On the other hand, I nearly always leave Marketplace dealer feedback. Been having more neutral/negative experiences lately than positive.
Old 04-27-14, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

I've done a few, though most have been met with negative reactions (more people finding your review unhelpful than helpful)- such as when I called the reissuing of Gilligan's Island on twice as many 1-sided discs "A big step backwards." My comment about the "Pure 80s" DVD set having real 5.1 remixes of the songs ended up triggering a big thread on an audio enthusiasts' board, which I rarely visit or post at myself (a friend told me about the thread.)
Old 04-28-14, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

The lame ones are the folks who use the "review" section to comment on their purchases and the seller.
Old 04-28-14, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 627 Likes on 460 Posts

I've written quite a few, mostly on DVDs and CDs which have little and/or conflicting information available, but it's typically technical and/or content information (special features - worth a double-dip - print quality - best version - etc.) which is sorely lacking in most reviews. I typically only write about those items I own or for which I have information that's not in another review.

A couple of reviews I wrote about some DVD releases got several negative votes/comments because I was positive about the technical aspects but was rather negative about the content - fanbois took exception that I said a series had declined and was only suitable for completists for the last couple of seasons or that I slammed poor packaging and indicated post series films being available only in a full series release was a slap in the face to those who'd purchased the series as it was released.

One of my pet peeves with Amazon reviews are those "cookie cutter" type reviews you see on almost *all* the VCI titles (I'm sure you've seen them - there are 2 "reviewers" who only change the details for almost all of their reviews and receive lots of positive votes for some reason). I also have no use for a review that's only gushing about or cutting down a film/album as there are content reviews on other sites I trust and most on Amazon are of the fanboi type, which I do *not* trust unless I know you and your general tastes.

I took a look at yours Jory and they are quite good. Those are the type I generally vote up as they offer information that's typically lacking in most reviews.
Old 04-28-14, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I have in the past when I was bored, just for fun. I've written a few dozen I think.
Old 04-30-14, 06:52 PM

I've written a number of them, of all kinds of products; but probably more of films and TV shows than anything else. My feeling is that if I have something to say that might be useful to potential buyers of the item, or a unique point of view, I'll toss it in.

Of course, no one is obligated to write reviews at Amazon or Best Buy or Wally Mart or anywhere. But I would remind folks who especially like a DVD or CD or MP3 album or Kindle e-book or physical book that hasn't garnered a lot of reviews yet, you can make a real difference to these directors/musicians/authors. If you want more from these creators, help them by reviewing their work. Your review--whether short or long--and a 4 or 5 star rating, is far more helpful to them than the buck or two that they may make from the sale.
Old 04-30-14, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 784 Likes on 658 Posts

I've written a handful of them over the years, mostly for albums I am very passionate about.

One should be very weary of most supplement reviews on Amazon. A company will send out codes to get a supplement for free on Amazon, then harass you until you write a review. Many of them are employee plants.
Old 04-30-14, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I've written a handful of them over the years, mostly for albums I am very passionate about.

One should be very weary of most supplement reviews on Amazon. A company will send out codes to get a supplement for free on Amazon, then harass you until you write a review. Many of them are employee plants.
What do you mean by a "supplement review?"
Old 05-01-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I've done a few (mostly DVD/Blu-ray, surprise surprise), I think just under 100. I'm kind of curious to see if I can eventually squeeze my way into the "Top 1,000" list (currently ranked around #2,500 or so), as I think you're put on the short list for the Amazon Vine program. I've been less inclined to do them lately but I'll often do two or three in short bursts.

If nothing else, it's just nice to know I might actually be helping someone find something they'll like (or, in turn, avoid something awful).
Old 05-01-14, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 784 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
What do you mean by a "supplement review?"
Amazon reviews for health supplements and vitamins, products of that nature. The smaller labels all game the system that way. It's how no-name brands get dozens of reviews.
Old 05-01-14, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
I've done a few (mostly DVD/Blu-ray, surprise surprise), I think just under 100. I'm kind of curious to see if I can eventually squeeze my way into the "Top 1,000" list (currently ranked around #2,500 or so), as I think you're put on the short list for the Amazon Vine program.
I don't think your "ranking" has much to do with being selected for the Vine program. I'm a Vine member and am currently ranked at almost 4000. I've wondered if it is somehow tied to your "helpful" votes. I currently have 104 reviews with 2199 "helpful" votes. When I was invited to be a Vine participant I had fewer than 30 reviews with mostly helpful votes. I don't recall my "ranking" as I rarely look at that. As long as people consider my reviews helpful I consider them to be successful.
Old 05-02-14, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I don't think your "ranking" has much to do with being selected for the Vine program. I'm a Vine member and am currently ranked at almost 4000. I've wondered if it is somehow tied to your "helpful" votes. I currently have 104 reviews with 2199 "helpful" votes. When I was invited to be a Vine participant I had fewer than 30 reviews with mostly helpful votes. I don't recall my "ranking" as I rarely look at that. As long as people consider my reviews helpful I consider them to be successful.
I was curious what this "amazon vine" prfogram was. Found this page: https://www.amazon.com/gp/vine/help and the second line there states: "Amazon invites customers to become Vine Voices based on their reviewer rank, which is a reflection of the quality and helpfulness of their reviews as judged by other Amazon customers." So it is based off your rank, but not solely number of reviews. They must take the number of reviews and factor in the number of helpfuls etc.
Old 05-02-14, 04:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to have anyone and everyone who puts "if I could give this ____________ ZERO stars, I would" shot out of a cannon. Whenever I see these, I often comment to the reviewer that their opinion is worth less than nothing.
Old 05-08-14, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Nate the Great
I would like to have anyone and everyone who puts "if I could give this ____________ ZERO stars, I would" shot out of a cannon. Whenever I see these, I often comment to the reviewer that their opinion is worth less than nothing.
So you'd give them LESS thank zero stars?
Old 05-10-14, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
So you'd give them LESS thank zero stars?
clever comeback.
Old 05-10-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
I was curious what this "amazon vine" prfogram was. Found this page: https://www.amazon.com/gp/vine/help and the second line there states: "Amazon invites customers to become Vine Voices based on their reviewer rank, which is a reflection of the quality and helpfulness of their reviews as judged by other Amazon customers." So it is based off your rank, but not solely number of reviews. They must take the number of reviews and factor in the number of helpfuls etc.
Not really. I used to be a VINE member and would get tons of good stuff. I eventually got dismissed from the program for whatever reason. I don't think it had anything to do with rank/reviews - it had to do with how much you spent on Amazon in general. I used to spend lots of money on that site a few years ago. When I decreased my spending then I got the boot.