Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon is just the best!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.
View Poll Results: Do you like Amazon's service overall?
Yes
88.33%
No
8.33%
What are you high?
3.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Amazon is just the best!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-14, 12:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Amazon is just the best!

While I still buy from Amazon regularly, I'm not as enamored of them as I used to be. I have to pay tax now. I have to buy $35+ instead of $25+. Their DVD prices are higher than they used to be, so I use the triple camel site to watch for lower/lowest prices for what I'm wanting. Their free shipping doesn't seem as consistently prompt as it used to be. The prime trial I did recently was a huge disappointment, with none of my orders being even close to the 2-day promise.

That said, I still prefer them to brick-and-mortar shops because of prices, even though that difference is smaller than in the past because of taxes and higher standard pricing. I can remember DVDs being more like $15 at release but now it's $20, which makes no sense to me; with blu-ray slowly expanding, shouldn't DVD prices be going down?

Also, I have to agree that Amazon's customer service is still a cut above almost everyone. I had an issue with a gift card over the holidays and they handled that very well.
Old 04-25-14, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts

Another weird thing; I just placed an order on a Friday, and amazon says that I can receive my items on Sunday if I use 2-day shipping, but if I use 1-day shipping, I won't get them on Saturday, but on Monday.

Weird, right?
Any reason why this would be?
Old 04-30-14, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
They do have some weird things, like not being able to call them and actually talk to someone, but I suppose that's an anachronism these days. But yeah, they have what's probably the best possible service for an online store.
Whenever I have a problem, I always speak with someone on the phone. You just have to put your phone # in so they call you.
Old 04-30-14, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
I think amazon has great customer service.

When dist. centers were built in your state, did you notice faster shipping times?
We have one in Spartanburg, SC right now, and I have noticed faster times as well. Each of the last few of my recent purchases has taken only 3 days to come.
Old 05-20-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I accidentally ordered 2 of the same item, went to process a refund, even chose the option where it was my fault so I would pay return shipping, and a box came up and said "Keep the item on us" and gave me a full refund while letting me keep the item.

that's crazy

Amazon is the shit
Old 05-21-14, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wish they didn't make sellers charge $3.99 shipping for dvd/BD
Old 06-04-14, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Correction: Amazon was just the best PRIOR to 2012. Now, they've gone to the dogs, fallen from grace, and become greedy capitalistic pigs.
Further to that, I thought I'd post this recent BBC documentary about working conditions at Amazon.co.uk. It's definitely food for thought.
Almost 15 years ago, I worked at a mammoth grocery warehouse that had strikingly similar conditions. Quotas, racing around and picking orders, etc. It was physically and mentally draining, and I only lasted about 9 months. The only slight advantage over the Amazon job that's depicted here was that we were paid a good commission for anything over a certain number of picks per hour (I don't remember the number). I usually ended up working through my breaks to keep my numbers - and pay - up. Some of my co-workers cheated despicably by looking through the stack of orders and poaching only those with many picks in one place.

At any rate, having watched this, I am disillusioned with Amazon as a customer. They should not be running their employees into the ground like this.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CXWJ4GfQ22E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-08-14, 09:40 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 254 Posts

The bad: Purchased The Fly Collection box set, it arrived as timely as can be expected from Amazon, but the spine of the box set had a 3 inch vertical slice in it...

The good: Filed for a replacement, Amazon sent me a return shipping label, a replacement is on its way, Amazon was apologetic and accommodating about it which is what I've come to expect from them...
Old 06-08-14, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Further to that, I thought I'd post this recent BBC documentary about working conditions at Amazon.co.uk. It's definitely food for thought.
Almost 15 years ago, I worked at a mammoth grocery warehouse that had strikingly similar conditions. Quotas, racing around and picking orders, etc. It was physically and mentally draining, and I only lasted about 9 months. The only slight advantage over the Amazon job that's depicted here was that we were paid a good commission for anything over a certain number of picks per hour (I don't remember the number). I usually ended up working through my breaks to keep my numbers - and pay - up. Some of my co-workers cheated despicably by looking through the stack of orders and poaching only those with many picks in one place.

At any rate, having watched this, I am disillusioned with Amazon as a customer. They should not be running their employees into the ground like this.
And that's their UK operations, I assume it's even worse here in the US.
Old 06-08-14, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And that's their UK operations, I assume it's even worse here in the US.
Could it possibly be any worse? They have countdown clocks on their scanners for goodness sakes! That's barely a step up from a Third World sweatshop.
Old 06-08-14, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just because I think there's tighter regulations in favor of employees in the UK than there is in the US, especially for non-union employees like in amazon's case.
Old 06-08-14, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^I agree with you that it makes sense in theory, slop101. Maybe we need to have a comparable undercover doc done in the States and Canada.
Old 09-21-14, 11:21 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 942 Likes on 789 Posts

1st bad experience. ugh! details to follow...
Old 09-21-14, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 826 Likes on 698 Posts

Now that we are in the all important fourth quarter of the retail sales year, Amazon has gotten back to more solidly packing expensive items.
Old 09-21-14, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
1st bad experience. ugh! details to follow...
Can't wait!
Old 09-21-14, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,041 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Now that we are in the all important fourth quarter of the retail sales year, Amazon has gotten back to more solidly packing expensive items.
I think the fourth quarter starts in October.
Old 09-22-14, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 826 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I think the fourth quarter starts in October.
For retail, it really begins after Labor Day.
Old 09-22-14, 07:20 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I haven't had a Prime membership for three years. I turned off auto-renew. Just got charged $99 for a Prime membership. Fuck Amazon.
Old 09-22-14, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I haven't had a Prime membership for three years. I turned off auto-renew. Just got charged $99 for a Prime membership. Fuck Amazon.
How could that have happened? I canceled my Prime a couple year ago as well - I don't think they re-upped me - how can I be sure they won't?
Old 09-22-14, 10:50 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

How could that have happened? I canceled my Prime a couple year ago as well - I don't think they re-upped me - how can I be sure they won't?
I have no idea. But I'm kind of hurting for cash right now and am going to be pissed if I get any overdraft fees while my refund "processes"
Old 09-22-14, 04:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 942 Likes on 789 Posts

NM...Amazon is the best!
Old 09-22-14, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
NM...Amazon is the best!
Tease!

You'll never get laid with that behavior.
Old 09-22-14, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,041 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
For retail, it really begins after Labor Day.
I've worked retail and have never heard of that. Maybe I just haven't been in the right channels.
Old 09-22-14, 05:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
You didn't accidentally ordered something with a free prime trial shipping option? Lately, when I order something it gives me the option of free two day delivery if I try out Prime again for a month.