Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The B.S. That Is Oldies.com

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-14, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ordered a title from Oldies.com. Order canceled because they said item was not in stock, though it was still showing up as available on their site. They explain that it "suddenly" came back in stock. They advise me to reorder the item, though now I will no longer get free shipping. I complain and they waive the shipping fee.

Two months later, item still hasn't arrived. I e mail all the details yet again to them and they answer back with barely a sentence saying "item is not available at this time." I call them and the rep says it shows my item is packed and ready for shipping. ???

This place is seriously fucked up and they have the communication skills of a snail on heroin, which matches their customer service. Keep your distance.
Old 01-06-14, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The B.S. That Is Oldies.com

I only ordered from them once and it arrived quickly.. but that was years ago.
Old 01-06-14, 11:00 PM

I've bought from Oldies a handful of times, and at least twice now, movies that I really, really wanted and formed the core of my order were permanently out of stock. Once I had to remind them of this, so the item was finally flagged as "out of stock" on their web site. Yes, they do have issues keeping inventory straight.

In their defense, unlike many other large sellers, they've made an effort to flag DVD-R's, are happy to answer questions about esoteric things like packaging, and (in this web-based world) still offer a telephone customer service number. Your incident aside, I get the impression that I am dealing with real people accessing a real warehouse, all under one roof, and the end result leaves me reasonably warm and fuzzy.

Having said that, I'm highly price-conscious like most everyone here, and typically buy from them only when the cost makes sense. I'm under no misapprehension that their main business revolves around their mail order catalogs, and they have to fund those catalogs somehow, which is reflected in their typically high prices. Lately I've been buying mostly Alpha titles of 30's and 40's poverty row horror films, and may be through with them after one more order. In the end, I think they have their niche. IMHO if you want to talk about a worthless company (aside from their catalogs, for shoppers lacking Internet), how about Critics Choice?

BTW, is your package finally on the way, or is it still unclear?

Last edited by thetao; 01-06-14 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-07-14, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's still unclear. The phone rep says one thing, the e mail rep says another. I'm fully expecting nothing and am making other plans to shop for it elsewhere.

I too have ordered from them before, not much, but without issue save for one time when they sent damaged discs and would not send me a prepaid return label. They did reimburse my shipping cost, but it was still a hassle having to go to the post office and wait twenty minutes in line.

Now with this latest incident, I am done with them.
Old 01-07-14, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just received a call from a rep at Oldies.com apologizing for the mix up. He said they use different suppliers for items which accounts for something going out of stock or reappearing and why prices can fluctuate. He told me he realizes how frustrating this is for buyers. He said to keep checking for the item I want and if it comes back in stock they will quickly facilitate the order.

This is an example of conscientious customer service which I felt was lacking before and I have to wonder if this thread had anything to do with it. In any case, if its a new commitment to a more professional, streamlined operation, I will consider becoming their customer again.
Old 01-07-14, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I believe their business pre-dated the Internet era, going back to a catalog model. It's possibly run by a family, though I am not sure. Their inventory is not real-time and fulfilled in a non-automated manner, which can and does cause problems at times.
Old 01-07-14, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've dealt with them quite a bit over the years, on an intermittent basis - mostly CDs rather than DVDs. Yes, their inventory control and communication can be a bit iffy at times, but I've usually had very good results dealing with their customer service when orders have been screwed up. Overall, I would say they are one of the better etailers I have dealt with.
Old 01-08-14, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I believe they are family owned and I can only hope this two month mess was not a part of their normal method of operation. My original post still stands as it's 100% accurate, but I have and will continue to post follow ups to offer helpful information, if available.
Old 01-16-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Follow up: The item I originally ordered weeks ago and canceled as being unavailable, then reordered when I pointed out to them their site showed it as being available, only to have that order canceled two months later as being unavailable, is now being sold by Oldies in the Amazon Marketplace for the original price I ordered it at.

I called them to inquire about ordering it at my original price with the free shipping waiver I was promised and was told the price had increased and the Amazon Marketplace price was unavailable. When I asked them why I was told they were out of stock for their Amazon listing, even though an attempted order through Amazon shows no such unavailability.

DONE with this runaround and double talk and done with Oldies.com. Based on my sorry experience, I cannot recommend anyone order from them.