Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Target stores reportedly hacked w/in the past month

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Target stores reportedly hacked w/in the past month

Old 01-10-14, 12:01 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Target stores reportedly hacked w/in the past month

Target can connect your bank account to purchases just like a debit card if you dont have a card. I wonder if its the bank accounts and info collected from special orders and returns over the years.
Old 01-10-14, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

fortunately i've already got a credit watch on my account because of another hack at a local community college, so i'm not terribly concerned. but it pisses me off how companies aren't forthcoming about this shit and don't do a better job of protecting information.

Funny tweet by Albert Brooks about the situation.

Was gonna go to Target and buy some underwear but decided to just send my medical records and PIN numbers instead.
Old 01-10-14, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hopefully, I don't need new cards. I have all my CC #'s memorized!
Old 01-10-14, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

Anecdotally, this has started hitting Target where it hurts. The Targets I've been to since the breach are definitely down in store traffic, even granting it's after Christmas. This is such a serious hit to their brand.

I wouldn't trust a thing they say publicly about the matter, they obviously hid the extent of the theft for fear it would impact Christmas sales.
Old 01-10-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Week or so ago there was a story on the news that in states that use a particular type of card system people have had their unemployment and food stamp cards cancelled because of this. Hackers got info from these cards also.
Old 01-10-14, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts

So yeah, your information (but probably not your CC info) is vulnerable even if you didn't shop at Target during that originally stated timespan.

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...#axzz2q2SNbOp4
Target customers whose information -- name, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses -- was stolen need not have shopped at the retailer's stores during the busy holiday shopping season, a spokeswoman confirmed Friday.

The information, said Target spokeswoman Molly Snyder, was collected during the "course of normal business," and could include online shopping.

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...#ixzz2q2ScbSoH
Old 01-11-14, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Neiman Marcus hacked too.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/11/52...rd-data-stolen
Old 01-11-14, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

I wouldn't trust a thing they say publicly about the matter, they obviously hid the extent of the theft for fear it would impact Christmas sales.
I agree with this and it's reprehensible, though sadly not very surprising.

For anyone that can prove their identity has been stolen, Target is offering a free year of credit protection. Gee, thanks.
Old 01-11-14, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 895 Likes on 720 Posts

No doubt in my mind Target knew of the full extent of this well prior to Xmas. What will it take for straight talk from US retailers / businessess these days? Anything short of a nuclear bomb and / or terrorist attack? Absolutely disgusting. Shame on them and their kind.
Old 01-11-14, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts

Love banking locally! My bank sent me a letter advising me I may have been part of the compromised data; they temporarily lowered my limits and were sending me a new card. I didn't have to do anything!

My question is this: will the banks try to pursue compensation from Target for all the cards they are having to reproduce?

An added layer to consider -- Target was the retailer who caught bad publicity for keeping customer profiles and using the data for individualized advertising/marketing. Remember the story of them sending maternity ads to a teenage girl before she told her parents she was pregnant? Target.
Old 01-12-14, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Sounds like Target and Neimann Marcus were just the beginning: http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/11/53...ding-to-report

Target and Neiman Marcus could be the tip of the iceberg, if a new Reuters report is correct. The organization writes that at least three other US retailers also suffered data breaches "using similar techniques" to the one that penetrated Target last month. Reuters doesn't specify the names of the companies affected, only that they are "well-known US retailers" which do their business in shopping malls, and aren't yet certain whether the people responsible for the Target breach — which exposed up to 70 million names, email address, and phone numbers — perpetrated these cyberattacks as well.

Target's business was notably affected by its breach, with the company announcing that sales might have fallen as much as 2.5 percent compared to the prior year due to the breach, so it's not surprising that other companies might not have come forward to announce that their data had been compromised unless compelled by law. However, Reuters' sources suggest that the other companies experienced smaller breaches than the one at Target, so perhaps the type or amount of data stolen wasn't sufficient to require a major announcement.
Old 01-15-14, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I must be shopping at all the wrong places. I keep my cards secure, and I only shop online at major retailers. However I have had 2 cards have fraudulent charges appear within the past half year. It makes me worried what else I have compromised. I have been monitoring my credit cards, and pulled credit reports to see if accounts have been opened. Luckily that hasn't happened.
Old 01-15-14, 11:10 AM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Now they send something?

"As you may have heard or read".... That right off the bat is ridiculous... I should've been informed by the company.

Dear Target Guest,
As you may have heard or read, Target learned in mid-December that criminals forced their way into our systems and took guest information, including debit and credit card data. Late last week, as part of our ongoing investigation, we learned that additional information, including name, mailing address, phone number or email address, was also taken. I am writing to make you aware that your name, mailing address, phone number or email address may have been taken during the intrusion.
I am truly sorry this incident occurred and sincerely regret any inconvenience it may cause you. Because we value you as a guest and your trust is important to us, Target is offering one year of free credit monitoring to all Target guests who shopped in U.S. stores, through Experian’s® ProtectMyID® product which includes identity theft insurance where available. To receive your unique activation code for this service, please go to creditmonitoring.target.com and register before April 23, 2014. Activation codes must be redeemed by April 30, 2014.
In addition, to guard against possible scams, always be cautious about sharing personal information, such as Social Security numbers, passwords, user IDs and financial account information. Here are some tips that will help protect you:
Never share information with anyone over the phone, email or text, even if they claim to be someone you know or do business with. Instead, ask for a call-back number.
Delete texts immediately from numbers or names you don’t recognize.
Be wary of emails that ask for money or send you to suspicious websites. Don’t click links within emails you don’t recognize.
Target’s email communication regarding this incident will never ask you to provide personal or sensitive information.
Thank you for your patience and loyalty to Target. You can find additional information and FAQs about this incident at our Target.com/databreach website. If you have further questions, you may call us at 866-852-8680.
Gregg Steinhafel

Chairman, President and CEO
Old 01-15-14, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So basically May 1, 2015 is when all the identity theft will occur?
Old 01-15-14, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by dex14
Now they send something?

"As you may have heard or read".... That right off the bat is ridiculous... I should've been informed by the company.
I got the email today, too. I didn't shop in person during the affected period but I have bought from Target online this year. The latest was one day after the original time frame.
Old 01-15-14, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the second round of 70 million people did not have to shop there during the affected period. I'm a little surprised this hasn't been a bigger story.
Old 01-15-14, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Now they send something?

And then they have the audacity to tell you how to protect yourself against such attacks.
Old 01-16-14, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipper II
And then they have the audacity to tell you how to protect yourself against such attacks.
Exactly what I thought when I first read the e-mail.

Chase said they already replaced over two million cards.
Old 01-16-14, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Got a new card from Chase in the mail. Didn't even ask for a new one. Very cool of them.
Old 01-16-14, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipper II
Don't shop at Target?
Old 01-18-14, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

This thing is going to end up in Congressional investigations and Target's brand getting permanently damaged. I doubt their current management team survives intact.

There are rumors in the security industry that Target's entire customer database has been compromised, including phantom profiles of people that hadn't actually bought anything at Target in the past year. You did not need to shop at Target to have your info stolen.

Revenue losses over projected growth will be brutal when all is said and done.
Old 01-23-14, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcons...gnetic-stripes

Pretty much everywhere else in the world has moved from magnetic stripes to a chip and PIN system.
Old 01-23-14, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk God

yeah, i read that Visa may have said to Target (and possibly other retailers) that if they don't change to a new system of credit card processing, the retailers will have to start eating the fraud costs.
Old 01-24-14, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Some goof on the local news a few weeks ago mentioned that he was happy with Target because of the ten percent off sale. I guess that's better than having your credit ruined.
Old 01-25-14, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcons...gnetic-stripes

Pretty much everywhere else in the world has moved from magnetic stripes to a chip and PIN system.
Interestingly, that Target actually tried to collaborate with Visa 10 years ago, to use chip cards in 1,000 stores. But executives shelved the effort over worries that chip-based cards slowed down checkout speeds.
LOL. No, they didn't do it because it would have cost $40 million and the CEO wanted to save costs.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.