Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

CDNOW, explain how this is possible...

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

CDNOW, explain how this is possible...

Old 08-08-00, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got an e-mail about my order of Magnolia from CDNOW.com. They said that my order has been backordered... I don't understand how this is possible because its on PRE-ORDER. How is this paradox possible?
Old 08-08-00, 09:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some places don't really distinguish between backorder and pre-order, since in essence they are the same thing (the DVD isn't in stock as soon as it is it will be shipped).

See you in the Online Store forum
Old 08-08-00, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Most likely because they do not have enough copies on order to fulfill you pre-order. So you will have to wait until their next order comes in. CDNow if I remember correctly do have their own warehouses and outsource their orders. For that reason if you do not order early enough then your order will be backordered. I hope that makes sense.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 08-08-00, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

nemein Was right (on both counts )

------------------
It's an other thang!
-sTeVe
Old 08-08-00, 09:35 PM

Every pre-order I have made at CDNOW has gone on backorder before it shipped. It is normal and nothing to worry about.

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~prefect.asp
Old 08-08-00, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Just hope the DVD doesn't get delayed. I ordered Brief Encounter and since it got pushed back a week CD Now cancelled my order and I lost out on a $10 coupon.

------------------
"Know wha I mean, know wha I mean. A nods as good as a wink."
DVD Laserdisc
Old 08-08-00, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by darkside:
Just hope the DVD doesn't get delayed. I ordered Brief Encounter and since it got pushed back a week CD Now cancelled my order and I lost out on a $10 coupon.<HR>

Send them a polite e-mail explaining the situation and asking for a credit to replace the coupon.

In my experiences with CDNow, they tend to screw up a lot (and their ordering system does some weird things -- lots of orders tend to end up in "limbo" there). However, they have always been very prompt at attempting to fix problems once they are pointed out to them. I've had maybe a dozen orders get messed up, but I have yet to lose out on a coupon...

(Frankly, if it wasn't for the occasional GC or coupon deal I would never order from them -- too much of a pain.)

------------------
My DVDs
My LaserDiscs
Old 08-09-00, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Moving to Online Store Forum.

--Heather
Moderator, DVD Talk & Reviews forums
Old 08-09-00, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by bboisvert:
Send them a polite e-mail explaining the situation and asking for a credit to replace the coupon.

In my experiences with CDNow, they tend to screw up a lot (and their ordering system does some weird things -- lots of orders tend to end up in "limbo" there). However, they have always been very prompt at attempting to fix problems once they are pointed out to them. I've had maybe a dozen orders get messed up, but I have yet to lose out on a coupon...

(Frankly, if it wasn't for the occasional GC or coupon deal I would never order from them -- too much of a pain.)

<HR>

Tried that, but they wouldn't let me. I had bought it with Rocket cash and they said they couldn't help me. I order it at Amazon. I've had my fill of CD Now problems.