Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Sellers: Anyone Notice Blackout Periods for New Merch?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-20-12, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I have been trying to list a few newly-released items on Amazon.com for sale. I noticed that under "Condition", "New" is no longer an option. It appears after a few weeks, but the best you can list just after release is "Like New". Of course, all their favorite sellers with thousands of feedback can list new, just not the schlubs.
Old 11-21-12, 03:05 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: Amazon Sellers: Anyone Notice Blackout Periods for New Merch?

I think the large sellers that are listing use a bulk listing system. Amazon has done this on some items for several years.
Old 11-21-12, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

I ran into this on an item I was trying to list the other day. Frustrating. And there's no explanation of why anywhere either.
Old 11-26-12, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess is they want to sell their stock first. The first few weeks is when the most volume of something sells. Probably studies show that most people will want something listed as 'new' and will buy that before even thinking about something listed as 'used'.
Old 11-29-12, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found this isn't limited to new-release items. This camera, for example, has been available on Amazon since February 6, 2011. However, I can't list a new one for sale - only refurb or used.

Same with this lens, which is *TEN* years old!

I think it's their partners getting higher priority over the private sellers.
Old 11-30-12, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
My guess is they want to sell their stock first. The first few weeks is when the most volume of something sells. Probably studies show that most people will want something listed as 'new' and will buy that before even thinking about something listed as 'used'.
No, they let people list things as anything other than new, so you can list them as used. It's only "New" that they remove.
Old 11-30-12, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I've noticed it before, but I'm not sure the reason why they do it and for what items. I had a Sony 3D Starter kit with the Alice in Wonderland 3D blu that I bought for $40 on the last day my local Sony Style store was open, and when I went to flip it (which was the only reason I had bought it, since I did't have a 3DTV or even a Sony TV), it wouldn't let me list it as new. Only featured merchants had any new listings, there were a lot of listings like mine, listed as "Like New" but stating they actually were new in the desciption. I still sold it the next day at a $200 profit. This was probably a couple of years ago. Still the only item I've sold there where this happened.
Old 11-30-12, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
No, they let people list things as anything other than new, so you can list them as used. It's only "New" that they remove.
Just like I said. There are probably people that won't buy stuff listed as 'used' & will only get 'new' items. So Amazon won't let you list as 'new' beause all those people will then focus on Amazon's items, which are 'new'.
Old 11-30-12, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe it's a combination of factors? Like how recently released the item is, how many New listings they already have, and how low the New price has been pushed by existing New listings, relative to Amazon's price?
Old 12-01-12, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a lot of cases I can't sell used stuff either (mostly new release DVDs and Blu-Rays). Their excuse is that certain high-ticket/popular items have a "waiting period" during which only Amazon and "approved vendors" can sell their stock, new or used. Of course, they didn't give me a specific time limit but so far it's been a couple of weeks in most cases.
Old 12-19-12, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It appears as if they are tightening up further still. Any relatively new Criterions I try to list come up as "restricted Items", and apparently everyone is now blocked from selling. I wonder if this is an Amazon initiative, or if it's coming from somewhere else.
Old 12-19-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Manufacturers/Distributors can set restrictions on DVDs/BRs/music. There's a page about restrictions of categories and that's what they say there.
Old 12-21-12, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
In a lot of cases I can't sell used stuff either (mostly new release DVDs and Blu-Rays). Their excuse is that certain high-ticket/popular items have a "waiting period" during which only Amazon and "approved vendors" can sell their stock, new or used. Of course, they didn't give me a specific time limit but so far it's been a couple of weeks in most cases.
With the large amount of bootlegs and the fact that they are almost exact replicas now this is kind of understandable.

Ebay is flooded with bootleg dvd's for TV series like Big Bang Theory and a lot of the HBO, USA, etc series. Its laughable you can tell what they are doing selling $59.99 list items costantly less than $20 with free shipping and they have tons of the item on dvd but never list any on Blu-ray. If anybody had any sense at the MPAA they could pick these people out easy.
Old 12-22-12, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BKenn01
With the large amount of bootlegs and the fact that they are almost exact replicas now this is kind of understandable.
I'm pretty sure there isn't a flood of Pete's Dragon Blu-ray's on the market, but I wasn't able to list it as New for the first 2 months of release.
Old 12-22-12, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Manufacturers/Distributors can set restrictions on DVDs/BRs/music. There's a page about restrictions of categories and that's what they say there.
That is the actual reason. Some manufacturers only allow "new" sales through authorized retailers and no individual would qualify as an authorized retailer, even if the item is new in the package. It's a way to control distribution and pricing.
Old 12-23-12, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Todd B.
I'm pretty sure there isn't a flood of Pete's Dragon Blu-ray's on the market, but I wasn't able to list it as New for the first 2 months of release.
I would say there may be something to the studio not allowing the listing. But could it also be to stop organized theft rings? There are also a lot of ebay sellers that have to be dealing in stolen merchandise. Some in particular always have the newest releases on Blu-ray in multiple quantities at or below Amazon's usual loss leading price with Free Shipping. They seem to be small sellers. From my conversations with more than one insider in the movie distribution world this just isnt possible for a small retailer. Or also it could be to protect Amazon's own pricing.
Old 12-26-12, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would say there may be something to the studio not allowing the listing.
Yet, The Great Mouse Detective, which was released the same day as Pete's Dragon, was able to be listed as New from the get-go. No rhyme or reason?
Old 12-26-12, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Yet, The Great Mouse Detective, which was released the same day as Pete's Dragon, was able to be listed as New from the get-go. No rhyme or reason?
Great Mouse Detective came out the week before Pete's Dragon. So huge difference.
Old 12-27-12, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still can't list:

Heaven's Gate
Purple Noon
Following
Weekend
Trilogy of Life

....new OR used. They are "restricted".
Old 12-28-12, 10:01 PM

They have always limited electronics, is has to do with the agreement with the manufacterer's. As far as the DVD part of it, it is really frustrating. I had over 300 copies of a DVD at Amazon (FBA) and they suddenly said that I needed approval from the manufacterer. A week later I supplied them the letter and they told me that they are no longer accepting applications for this DVD and now I have to pay to get my items back.

It is happening to sellers of all sizes though, for example I have sold approx. $500,000 on Amazon this year and cannot sell certain DVD's, however a "newly launched" seller can.

Some items bounce back and forth, Pete's dragon wasn't available right away, but then I was able to list. I try off and on but may have to find another place to sell these.
Old 01-01-13, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MPK2012
It is happening to sellers of all sizes though, for example I have sold approx. $500,000 on Amazon this year and cannot sell certain DVD's, however a "newly launched" seller can.
Let me guess, there's one seller and not a flood of them, which indicates that they may have gotten approval from amazon beforehand. Care to share all the details so we can see what you're claiming?
Old 01-04-13, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I ran into this on an item I was trying to list the other day. Frustrating. And there's no explanation of why anywhere either.
I called Amazon on this and they said it was because there were too many sellers for the item, despite the fact that there were only 3 MP sellers for "new" items. I told the CSR that the explanation she gave me did not jive with the facts and that it seems as if Amazon was "limiting" others so that they could sell their own inventory. I was nice, but firm and indicated the problems on the survey that I was sent. BTW, the BD was Barbarian and the Geisha.

Unless it is coming from the studio I find this to be pretty underhanded. People set up shop on Amazon only to be told they can't sell something? Hopefully it is coming from the studios because I would lose alot of respect for Amazon if it was their decision.
Old 01-04-13, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ebay is flooded with bootleg dvd's for TV series like Big Bang Theory and a lot of the HBO, USA, etc series. Its laughable you can tell what they are doing selling $59.99 list items costantly less than $20 with free shipping and they have tons of the item on dvd but never list any on Blu-ray. If anybody had any sense at the MPAA they could pick these people out easy.
I must say earlier this year I got taken by some of these sellers. I finally woke up and go most of my money back. The replicas are getting really good and I was fooled by most of them. I think I bought some Californication DVDs that looked "washed out" .. I had also got a full set of Medium from the same seller. The Medium set was exactly duplicated, even to the kind of packaging used. The only tip off was the packaging looked "too new" for Medium, even though the stock would have been several years old. When I emailed them about the bootlegs they responded almost immediately and with great enthusiasm to make sure I was completely sastisfied. I don't think I would buy any DVD sets from any seller who wold more than a few.
Old 01-16-13, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I called Amazon on this and they said it was because there were too many sellers for the item, despite the fact that there were only 3 MP sellers for "new" items. I told the CSR that the explanation she gave me did not jive with the facts and that it seems as if Amazon was "limiting" others so that they could sell their own inventory. I was nice, but firm and indicated the problems on the survey that I was sent. BTW, the BD was Barbarian and the Geisha.

Unless it is coming from the studio I find this to be pretty underhanded. People set up shop on Amazon only to be told they can't sell something? Hopefully it is coming from the studios because I would lose alot of respect for Amazon if it was their decision.
According to what a few sellers posted over on the Amazon forums, it IS Amazon that's doing this. Several had said they contacted both Warner and HBO directly, and both companies said they knew nothing about any restrictions on their end - that if anything like that was happening, it was Amazon's doing, not theirs.

Do a search over on the AZ seller forums for "dvd restrictions", there are a dozen or so threads about it over there.
Old 01-16-13, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I must say earlier this year I got taken by some of these sellers. I finally woke up and go most of my money back. The replicas are getting really good and I was fooled by most of them. I think I bought some Californication DVDs that looked "washed out" .. I had also got a full set of Medium from the same seller. The Medium set was exactly duplicated, even to the kind of packaging used. The only tip off was the packaging looked "too new" for Medium, even though the stock would have been several years old. When I emailed them about the bootlegs they responded almost immediately and with great enthusiasm to make sure I was completely sastisfied. I don't think I would buy any DVD sets from any seller who wold more than a few.
I have read a few articles, one was an interview with Ebays Loss Prevention guy and I think the end of the road will be coming for these sellers. Ebay is working to cut out illegal sales. Also read were WB is suing several Amazon sellers for selling bootlegs. Apparantley they are purchasing them and verifying authenticity. Hope so its long overdue.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.