Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The complaining about Amazon thread

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-16, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

I got 35 bucks back
Old 06-22-16, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I got a whole $9.42.
Old 06-23-16, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I got back $11.62.
Old 07-01-16, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Second annual Prime Day is July 12th

remember that crock of shit? haha
Old 07-01-16, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm getting Prime Pantry offers instead of digital credits again, so I'm just using fast shipping out of spite.
Old 07-01-16, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777
I'm getting Prime Pantry offers instead of digital credits again, so I'm just using fast shipping out of spite.
That's what I do. That happened a few times this past week but the digital ones came back yesterday and today, so I'm good.
Old 07-01-16, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

We've just about used up the 55 gallons of water based lube we got last year for Prime Day, so it looks like it's time to get a new one.

Old 07-02-16, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Did something change with Amazon's free shipping? I ordered two items last Sunday night and they didn't ship until yesterday Friday afternoon. I remember they used to ship about two days after the order was placed.
Old 07-02-16, 09:44 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
We've just about used up the 55 gallons of water based lube we got last year for Prime Day, so it looks like it's time to get a new one.

What, no subscription rate?
Old 07-02-16, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was a bit bewildered when I chatted with them recently. I had received a New book that was beat up enough in shipping, despite being pretty well packaged, that I wanted to exchange it. But they are/were out of stock with no notice about getting more in. All I wanted to ask about was whether they'd stock more, but the rep. didn't want to talk to me unless I verified my name, e-mail and full address. I spoke with a supervisor who confirmed that they "needed" it, though neither could explain why I needed to give all that info for a general question.
Old 07-02-16, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
I was a bit bewildered when I chatted with them recently. I had received a New book that was beat up enough in shipping, despite being pretty well packaged, that I wanted to exchange it. But they are/were out of stock with no notice about getting more in. All I wanted to ask about was whether they'd stock more, but the rep. didn't want to talk to me unless I verified my name, e-mail and full address. I spoke with a supervisor who confirmed that they "needed" it, though neither could explain why I needed to give all that info for a general question.

Was this over the phone? Why not just do it by email? They'll already have your info linked to the order by order # - hell, even a live chat option would be better. I'm glad they're that strict over the phone, it really is for the customer's protection that they verify who you are.
Old 07-02-16, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
It's known that Amazon puts all their customer service calls through computerized voice analysis - looking for signs of stress or deception in the caller's voice. Your voice's stress level readings possibly indicated something was up.
Old 07-02-16, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Was this over the phone? Why not just do it by email? They'll already have your info linked to the order by order # - hell, even a live chat option would be better. I'm glad they're that strict over the phone, it really is for the customer's protection that they verify who you are.
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's known that Amazon puts all their customer service calls through computerized voice analysis - looking for signs of stress or deception in the caller's voice. Your voice's stress level readings possibly indicated something was up.
It was through Chat, that I initiated after verifying and logging into my account on the same computer that I have used to access Amazon on every transaction for at least the last 6 years. So no phone, though some of that is interesting to hear.
Old 07-02-16, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I can't tell if you're joking or if this is true...
Old 07-03-16, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I can't tell if you're joking or if this is true...
100% true. It's not that uncommon for the largest multi-national corporations that deal directly with consumers over the phone. In corporate parlance it's an extension of CRM.

Companies are also now scanning their internal emails for possible threats.

http://fortune.com/insider-threats-email-scout/

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 07-04-16 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-05-16, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Amazon is in the process of no longer showing the discount from list price. I have noticed this and recently there was an article in the NY Times about it. Amazon is switching to showing discounts from previous prices it has charged instead of from list price which it rarely if ever charged. Much more honest, though I now check other sites to confirm price is a bargain. I usually check Amazon when I get discount info from Best Buy and Fry's to confirm the prices at those sites are cheaper than ASCAP. The discount they mention is almost never as much as they clain when compared to the Amazon price.

Media seems to be one of the few retail items that does sell at or near list price. Criterion and Warner Archive for examples.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/04/bu...st-prices.html

Last edited by Classic Films; 07-05-16 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-05-16, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's what I do. That happened a few times this past week but the digital ones came back yesterday and today, so I'm good.
What was weird was that I had a music-stand case in my shopping cart, and that showed digital credits. Excited, I dumped that and put a DVD in my cart and got... Prime Pantry. Same with a CD. But then a pharmaceutical item (pill splitter) also had Prime Pantry, so it wasn't as simple as "all entertainment media items get Prime Pantry so we can convert them, while all other items get digital credits so we can convert them." I don't know if there was a system or if it was just random. I'll just keep checking back.
Old 07-05-16, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Ooooooh! Prime Day!

Old 07-05-16, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Prime Day will likely be another huge disappointment for many customers. Amazon is still largely resting on the rep and brand it built up during the 00s. I'm sure it will be great for those people that want $10 off a Kindle or something similar.
Old 07-06-16, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so goddamn tired of Euro Amazon sites. Ordered something from Amazon UK again yesterday, and the delivery estimate for "5-10 day" shipping on an in stock item shows up at the 21st. That's damn near 20 days. They mark things as dispatched and tracking shows they sit in Amazon's warehouse for 3 fucking days before being handed off the the shipping carrier. WTF? If I order from Amazon Japan, I get my order overnight for the same shipping cost I'm paying these assholes in Europe to screw around for 3 weeks. Amazon DE and FR are the same, and they all use fucking i-parcel, asendia (WTF is that?), and DHL. After all these years they still refuse to let people choose their shipping carrier. It's ridiculous. Then UK still won't ship games to the US for no logical reason that I can find. DE will ship games, but not FR or UK. What really pisses me off is these bullshit amazon fulfilled sellers blocking international shipping on things for no fucking reason.
Old 07-07-16, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic Films
Amazon is in the process of no longer showing the discount from list price. I have noticed this and recently there was an article in the NY Times about it. Amazon is switching to showing discounts from previous prices it has charged instead of from list price which it rarely if ever charged. Much more honest, though I now check other sites to confirm price is a bargain. I usually check Amazon when I get discount info from Best Buy and Fry's to confirm the prices at those sites are cheaper than ASCAP. The discount they mention is almost never as much as they clain when compared to the Amazon price.

Media seems to be one of the few retail items that does sell at or near list price. Criterion and Warner Archive for examples.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/04/bu...st-prices.html
I noticed that a few weeks back. While it's a annoyance I just use camelcamelcamel to verify lowest historical price and get the MSRP - same as always.
Old 07-07-16, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Same here. I may go for a couple of the Prime Pantry ones to stack with the monthly "free Prime Pantry shipping" offer depending on my mood but I've been generally displeased with the (lack of) packing they do on those boxes.

Got one box a couple of days ago with the cookies and canned foods just thrown together in a non-segmented box with pillow packs as filler. Needless to say the cookies were partially crushed and most of the cans dented. They *combined* two different PP orders - one which had the cookies and the other which had the canned goods. Note to self: space 'em out by at least a day if there *is* a next time. With "subscribe and save" most things come in separate boxes and canned products are shrink-wrapped together.

I once made the mistake of ordering 4 12-packs of soda and used a bag of chips to get the "free shipping" discount (and to double-stack a free shipping credit) thinking they'd ship them separately. They *used the bag of chips* as a cushion between two stacks of sodas! Of course the bag had burst and chips were all over the inside of the box.
Old 07-07-16, 07:30 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I once made the mistake of ordering 4 12-packs of soda and used a bag of chips to get the "free shipping" discount (and to double-stack a free shipping credit) thinking they'd ship them separately. They *used the bag of chips* as a cushion between two stacks of sodas! Of course the bag had burst and chips were all over the inside of the box.
Mistake?! I'd love it if they did that for me! I'd enjoy what I could out of the box and get a free new box of food too!
Old 07-07-16, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Viper187
I'm so goddamn tired of Euro Amazon sites. Ordered something from Amazon UK again yesterday, and the delivery estimate for "5-10 day" shipping on an in stock item shows up at the 21st. That's damn near 20 days. They mark things as dispatched and tracking shows they sit in Amazon's warehouse for 3 fucking days before being handed off the the shipping carrier. WTF? If I order from Amazon Japan, I get my order overnight for the same shipping cost I'm paying these assholes in Europe to screw around for 3 weeks. Amazon DE and FR are the same, and they all use fucking i-parcel, asendia (WTF is that?), and DHL. After all these years they still refuse to let people choose their shipping carrier. It's ridiculous. Then UK still won't ship games to the US for no logical reason that I can find. DE will ship games, but not FR or UK. What really pisses me off is these bullshit amazon fulfilled sellers blocking international shipping on things for no fucking reason.
I've ordered from various Amazon sites and have never had a problem. I've ordered the most from Amazon UK and my items usually arrive in 7-10 days tops.
Old 07-12-16, 08:46 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

anyone know why I am no longer getting the option for a digital credit when i checkout using Prime? it only gives me the option for Prime Pantry which i don't have a use for. i used to get the digital option all the time...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.