Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The complaining about Amazon thread

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-13, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Woah, this "dollar rise" of shipping came out of nowhere. Does this now mean books will cost $4.99 for the Media Mail rate, while DVDs will cost $3.99? That's frightening, and provides even less impetus to buy the cheaper DVDs and books there. Your "penny" book will suddenly cost $5? Especially irksome because Amazon does not give a discount on shipping if ordering multiple items from the same Marketplace seller.

Hopefully I'm wrong, or they'll start offering the multiple-item discount? Anyone know?

Back to my Friends library bookroom where I can pick up *ten* books for what it probably will cost to buy one $0.01 book on Amazon in a month...
That's up to the individual seller. They can set their own shipping guidelines/discounts if they want to. It defaults to Amazon's if they don't do anything.
Old 03-17-13, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 896 Likes on 721 Posts

Ah, I just looked it up on Amazon, and it seems books will remain at $3.99, while DVDs and CDs will increase $1.01 to 3.99 on 4/24. Pure profit for Amazon, as it only really costs around $1.80 to ship a DVD or CD first class.
Old 03-19-13, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazon really needs to get some control over the bs going on with their trade-in program. I just had 3 dvds rejected for "incorrect upc" when the discs don't have a upc (they're part of a boxset in individual cases). I sort of thought this would happen but they need to not even have the option to trade them in if this is going to happen with discs that don't have a upc. It is just a waste of my time.
Old 03-20-13, 05:49 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The trade in program has really taken a nose dive. I have stuff that is delivered according to tracking, but Amazon lists it as not yet received for about 10 days and then I will get an email getting my credit. It used to be quick. If I complain to Amazon they just give me the credit.
Old 03-20-13, 11:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have one for you, I traded in the Hard Times DVD recently and it had a "like new" trade in of $23.85 since it is out of print. They rejected it for incorrect UPC, but I verified it before sending it in. Now it is down to $6 for trade-in. That seems suspicious.

I complained in a chat to Amazon CS and they stated their is nothing they can do becasue it is run by another merchant, and that I should just resubmit it when i receive it back. Of course then I'll be lucky to get $6. Or go the marketplace route. I went trade-in for the ease of the transaction, I don't want to mess with the Marketplace. I don't trade-in enough.

I sent an email to CS to complain about the trade-in merchant, and I get a strange email suggesting i don't understand the process and that what the merchant did was legit. What's to uderstand? I searched by UPC, selected the product, clicked "like-new" and submitted. To me that should be a binding agreement for that price as long as it qualifies as "like-new"

Then they tried to soften the stance and give me a $17 promo code figuring i could then resubmit to get the other $6. I told them to forget it and remove the promo code. First time their CS has let me down. The whole time it felt like they were insinuating I was trying to pull a fast one and their merchant was untouchable. I've been spending $1000+ for the last several years on DVD/BRs at Amazon over other vendors because of the better customer service. But not anymore.
Old 03-21-13, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bsmith
I have one for you, I traded in the Hard Times DVD recently and it had a "like new" trade in of $23.85 since it is out of print. They rejected it for incorrect UPC, but I verified it before sending it in. Now it is down to $6 for trade-in. That seems suspicious.

I complained in a chat to Amazon CS and they stated their is nothing they can do becasue it is run by another merchant, and that I should just resubmit it when i receive it back. Of course then I'll be lucky to get $6. Or go the marketplace route. I went trade-in for the ease of the transaction, I don't want to mess with the Marketplace. I don't trade-in enough.

I sent an email to CS to complain about the trade-in merchant, and I get a strange email suggesting i don't understand the process and that what the merchant did was legit. What's to uderstand? I searched by UPC, selected the product, clicked "like-new" and submitted. To me that should be a binding agreement for that price as long as it qualifies as "like-new"

Then they tried to soften the stance and give me a $17 promo code figuring i could then resubmit to get the other $6. I told them to forget it and remove the promo code. First time their CS has let me down. The whole time it felt like they were insinuating I was trying to pull a fast one and their merchant was untouchable. I've been spending $1000+ for the last several years on DVD/BRs at Amazon over other vendors because of the better customer service. But not anymore.
This happened to me just last month with a dvd I was trading in that also had a $20+ value. I want to say it was $22.95 or something like that... searched by upc it was good, traded it in. Sent it back for incorrect upc with a damn sticker placed over the shrinkwrap (this was a sealed dvd) of another upc.

I called CS and got a nice girl that actually kind of worked with me as I described the situation. I wasn't asking for $ to just be deposited in my account (exactly as you weren't) I just wanted them to know the situation. I offered to read the upc from the disc to the girl to confirm it was correct and I did and she was dumbfounded as to why it wasn't accepted. She told me to resubmit the disc (luckily the value hadn't changed) and put a note on my trade in account that the upc matched and there is no reason to decline it for that.

They ended up accepting them the 2nd time but what a disaster that program has become.
Old 03-21-13, 05:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I had another trade-in before this that included a Mill Creek 50 movie pack worth less then $3. They sent it back saying it didn't contain all the disks with the same silly label on it. I sent it back in with a note sating at the disks are included. They accepted it that time. Not quite the same thing and probably just a mistake, but to pay for shipping there, then back, and then there again for a set valued at $3. Seems that they would check better then that. Anyway I'm done with that program.

Originally Posted by SethDLH
This happened to me just last month with a dvd I was trading in that also had a $20+ value. I want to say it was $22.95 or something like that... searched by upc it was good, traded it in. Sent it back for incorrect upc with a damn sticker placed over the shrinkwrap (this was a sealed dvd) of another upc.

I called CS and got a nice girl that actually kind of worked with me as I described the situation. I wasn't asking for $ to just be deposited in my account (exactly as you weren't) I just wanted them to know the situation. I offered to read the upc from the disc to the girl to confirm it was correct and I did and she was dumbfounded as to why it wasn't accepted. She told me to resubmit the disc (luckily the value hadn't changed) and put a note on my trade in account that the upc matched and there is no reason to decline it for that.

They ended up accepting them the 2nd time but what a disaster that program has become.
Old 03-22-13, 01:58 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I've sold over 1000 items on half.com and never had anything arrived damage. In the last year, I've had two xbox 360 games received cracked by Amazon. They were both well packaged along with some other items. I doubled checked each item for scratches and other damages before shipping. They were like new. They sent them back. Both of the game cases looked like new but the game CDs inside were now indeed cracked.

So I don't trust selling to them anymore either.
Old 03-23-13, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Not to do with their trade-in program, but Amazon in general. Recently bought a Micro SD card from one of their sellers-the ones that look like an Amazon page but comes from a 3rd party? I read all the info carefully, read the reviews...took a chance. Well, the card came repackaged even though they claim they're sending a brand new product. Not so much. Returned it, but called Amazon to complain about the dealer. Turns out that there are many complaints about this guy but Amazon won't do anything.

Wrote two reviews that were turned down for swearing, not being about the product and one other thing. None of which pertained to my review. Did the feedback option where you rate them. Tried to rate them poorly and the review wouldn't take. At the same time, reviewed another item on the order, but that was just fine. Talked to a CS person who claims there was a 'glitch.' Right.

Made a complaint, but highly doubt that this retailer (Komputerbay) will have anything against them put up. For some reason, Amazon would rather protect this dealer and have several angry customers who wasted time and money. (Though, I do have to say that I did get my refund pretty quickly but was pretty angry I had to deal with this after specifically trying to find a vender who wasn't repackaging the cards.)
Old 04-09-13, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

My most recent complaint with Amazon has to do with shipping. I live in a city with several Amazon warehouses. I can (have numerous times in the past) received basically 1 day shipping with Prime since they usually have that item in stock at the local warehouse. Lately, though, when I order something super early one day, they basically wait until the next day to ship it out, usually late in the day. I don't get how this can save them any money and it certainly doesn't make any sense that it takes 24 hours to ship something out. They still use UPS today or tomorrow and they pay the same price. Granted, this is a nitpick because I know the item will be delivered 2 days from my purchase date per Prime, but still obnoxious to have repeatedly received next day service in the past, but no longer get that "perk."
Old 04-11-13, 06:51 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
Wrote two reviews that were turned down for swearing, not being about the product and one other thing. None of which pertained to my review. Did the feedback option where you rate them. Tried to rate them poorly and the review wouldn't take. At the same time, reviewed another item on the order, but that was just fine. Talked to a CS person who claims there was a 'glitch.' Right.

Made a complaint, but highly doubt that this retailer (Komputerbay) will have anything against them put up. For some reason, Amazon would rather protect this dealer and have several angry customers who wasted time and money. (Though, I do have to say that I did get my refund pretty quickly but was pretty angry I had to deal with this after specifically trying to find a vender who wasn't repackaging the cards.)
That reminded me of something. Back when I was in the market for a specific model of Sony BD player, I bought one from this Amazon seller, the seller got decent reviews, everything seemed fine, but it wasn't the model I ordered. Went through a lot of crap to get this returned and to find out the seller didn't even have the model of BD player they were "selling" on Amazon. Wrote this review, Amazon refused to publish it:

I purchased a BDP-S570, sold by Pavilion Electronics, fulfilled by Amazon, on May 26th, 2012. I received it May 30th, unpacked it from its surrounding box, and discovered it was a BDP-S580. Before getting in contact with Amazon, I did a Google search for Pavilion Electronics (Mordy's), called them to find out if they had S570's for an exchange, was told they would return my call, they never did. Got in contact with Amazon, filed for an exchange for the correct player, was told I'd have to return for a refund. Called/Emailed Pavilion several more times, finally found out they have no BDP-S570's, that they're sending out S580's "as an upgrade". Ended up buying a S570 elsewhere. Bad business practice for Pavilion, I just wanted to warn anyone expecting to buy a BDP-S570 that Pavilion Electronics doesn't even have any.

5 stars for the player as I've heard good things about the BDP-S570, no stars for Pavilion.

For those of you who think I've posted this review in the wrong place, I've already reviewed Pavilion at their Marketplace Store, this is to warn people who wanted a BDP-S570 that by their own admission, Pavilion doesn't even have them. -kd5-
Old 04-17-13, 12:28 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Seriously. The Amazon Gold Box has moved from disappointing the last few months to ridiculous today.

Django Unchained Blu-ray / DVD combo pack is in my Gold Box today for $21.81.

I pre-ordered it from Amazon in February and paid $22.99.

WHY is this in my Gold Box for a lower price from the same company I ordered from on the day after it shows up on my doorstep?!
Old 05-05-13, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm starting to get completely random crap in my Gold Box after years of seeing nothing but DVD/Blu-ray deals. Dog supplies, water filtration systems, hair care items -- nothing I've ever purchased or searched for on their site. Anyone else have the same issue? It's annoying.

Also, I pre-ordered Iron Man 3 with another blu-ray to get free shipping. I figured I could always cancel if the price didn't go under $15 on release day. After seeing the film this weekend, I wouldn't even pay $15 to add it to my collection. I tried to cancel and it won't even allow that. I just get an error message stating: The change you have requested will increase your order total beyond the value of your gift certificate/card.

I've gotten this message at least twice before, both times when I'd actually used a gift card balance to pay for an order. I didn't even use a gift card this time. Also, I'm CANCELLING an item. How the hell does that increase my order total? I'm guessing the problem is that I selected FSSS and cancelling the pre-order takes the total below the $25 minimum. If they want to retroactively charge me for economy shipping on the other item, fine -- but don't block me from canceling a pre-order when I was told I could do so at any time.
Old 05-05-13, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
Also, I pre-ordered Iron Man 3 with another blu-ray to get free shipping. I figured I could always cancel if the price didn't go under $15 on release day. After seeing the film this weekend, I wouldn't even pay $15 to add it to my collection. I tried to cancel and it won't even allow that. I just get an error message stating: The change you have requested will increase your order total beyond the value of your gift certificate/card.

I've gotten this message at least twice before, both times when I'd actually used a gift card balance to pay for an order. I didn't even use a gift card this time. Also, I'm CANCELLING an item. How the hell does that increase my order total? I'm guessing the problem is that I selected FSSS and cancelling the pre-order takes the total below the $25 minimum. If they want to retroactively charge me for economy shipping on the other item, fine -- but don't block me from canceling a pre-order when I was told I could do so at any time.
You will be able to cancel it if you talk to an actual customer service rep. I've found a number of small lockouts that Amazon has enabled on orders. It appears the CSRs can do things that customers themselves can't do. The system also won't let me apply gift cards to long-standing pre-orders that haven't shipped yet.
Old 05-05-13, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Whole Thread dedicated to the increased shipping charges from Amazon...

Amazon Raised Shipping Charges
Old 05-11-13, 03:41 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

From 1998 to 2010, they always used UPS for two day shipping for me, and it was always 100% reliable and on time. Since they switched to Prestige three years ago, I have had multiple problems, which I always told amazon about.

I just spent $75 on merchandise with a "guaranteed delivery" date using a one month trial of free Prime. It was shipped by Prestige and never came. When I asked amazon why they continue to use Prestige to ship my packages even though I had repeatedly told amazon in the past that Prestige was unreliable during some previous incidents, amazon lied to me and said it was because they chose the shipper that "best served its customers."

Amazon said my recent order was "lost in shipping," said they'd reship it overnight, and emailed me $40 in gift certificates.

So I paid $75. Amazon ships $75 worth of merchandise - twice - including once with expensive next day shipping. And they give me $40 in gift certificates. I don't see how they can make money on this. If they had simply honored my multiple previous requests to use UPS (which I've never had a problem with) amazon would be making money instead of losing money from my orders.

I was supposed to get my stuff on Friday, but because amazon used Prestige instead of UPS for the original shipment, I won't get my stuff until Tuesday. Amazon is out a lot of money. I don't think this is a very good business model.
Old 05-11-13, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe someone at Prestige has seen some of your other posts on this forum.
Old 05-19-13, 08:39 AM

I ordered the original Friday the 13th on blu-ray from Amazon. When it arrived, the front of the case looked like it was sliced down the middle with a box cutter. I requested a replacement and they automatically created a new order for me. UPS picked up the damaged copy the next day

The replacement arrived yesterday and looks like someone stabbed the cover with a pencil. There are at least five big holes poked right through the artwork. I once again requested a replacement. Amazon generated a return label, but no new order was created automatically. Should I contact them about it, or will another copy ship once they receive the damaged replacement?
Old 05-19-13, 10:49 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by grundle
Amazon is out a lot of money. I don't think this is a very good business model.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rCZRqH7sRyA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-19-13, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
I ordered the original Friday the 13th on blu-ray from Amazon. When it arrived, the front of the case looked like it was sliced down the middle with a box cutter. I requested a replacement and they automatically created a new order for me. UPS picked up the damaged copy the next day

The replacement arrived yesterday and looks like someone stabbed the cover with a pencil. There are at least five big holes poked right through the artwork. I once again requested a replacement. Amazon generated a return label, but no new order was created automatically. Should I contact them about it, or will another copy ship once they receive the damaged replacement?
Better to ask than to just assume something.
Old 05-19-13, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Better to ask than to just assume something.
It's just weird, as a replacement order normally shows up a minute or two after I make the request (usually followed by a confirmation e-mail). Anyway, I did ask and they basically told me that no replacement would be provided. Why they kept me in the dark on this, I don't know. They said it was probably an issue with their entire stock and they would investigate the matter and not allow anyone to purchase it while the item was under review.

I checked the website and (of course) the movie is still for sale directly from Amazon. I wrote back to tell them they were probably overreacting and that the damage was likely caused by mishandling from the post office. I also told them I would still prefer another copy for the price I paid rather than a straight refund. A different (extremely apologetic) rep got in touch with me and agreed to send out another copy by Two-Day shipping. Apparently, replacements are a breeze -- but in the rare instance that the second copy is damaged, they are very hesitant to send you another one. I don't blame them, but it's not like this was an every day occurrence for me.
Old 05-19-13, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Be very careful asking for multiple replacements of the same item, even if the items are truly damaged. You almost certainly have now made Amazon's "watch" list as a problem customer and your behavior with them will be more scrutinized. Amazon has banned customers with repeated behavior like yours.
Old 05-19-13, 02:35 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by dogmatica
Seriously. The Amazon Gold Box has moved from disappointing the last few months to ridiculous today.

Django Unchained Blu-ray / DVD combo pack is in my Gold Box today for $21.81.

I pre-ordered it from Amazon in February and paid $22.99.

WHY is this in my Gold Box for a lower price from the same company I ordered from on the day after it shows up on my doorstep?!
Update: sent them an email asking the same question that day and got a refund.
Old 05-19-13, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Be very careful asking for multiple replacements of the same item, even if the items are truly damaged. You almost certainly have now made Amazon's "watch" list as a problem customer and your behavior with them will be more scrutinized. Amazon has banned customers with repeated behavior like yours.
Like I said, it's not an every day occurrence -- but if they want to ban me for returning a product that looks like it was used for dart practice, they don't deserve any of my business. Besides, I'm hardly dependent on Amazon. I've only placed four orders this year and pretty much all were the result of them price matching another website. If not for having gift card credit, I would have bought those items elsewhere.

Another problem with this situation: When I initially requested the second replacement, I also selected UPS pick-up for the damaged copy. A driver came and got the package this afternoon. The problem? When the Amazon rep finally agreed to send out another replacement, they generated an additional return authorization and shipping label, now tying the return to my original order number (not the order number of the first replacement). I just got an e-mail stating they will charge me for the new shipment if they don't receive the blu-ray by 6/25. However, this alert is tied to the second return authorization number, not the one the UPS driver used. Ugh. I'm hoping all goes smoothly when I contact them to explain the situation.

UPDATE: Okay, the rep told me he would put a note on my account indicating the item had been returned using a different return authorization number than the one they currently have it associated with. He said I may get future notices as the return deadline approaches, but that I would not be billed for the second replacement and to just disregard them. Hopefully, he's right -- but I have a suspicion their system will automatically charge me anyway.

Last edited by joe_b; 05-20-13 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-22-13, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

FWIW, I once got a horror movie disc with holes punched in the slipcover as an effect. I assume you've already ruled that out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.