Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The complaining about Amazon thread

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-16, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Expanding more on value vs. price (and it looks like most everyone agrees Amazon adds value)...

Selling on value instead of price (and that "value" can be a lot of different things) is the preferred method of doing business for most companies.

A retail example is Wal-Mart vs. Target. Of course, Wal-Mart has cheaper products, but Target has the value of a pleasant shopping experience at their locations. Target doesn't have to lower their prices to match Wal-Mart. If the consumer values the pleasant shopping experience, that is built into Target's prices.

For the most part, Target is priced competitively with Wal-Mart (most products only being a few cents more than WM), so that's great.
Old 03-23-16, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trevor
As fumanstan points out, you're absolutely ridiculous and add a lot of humor to the forum.
Originally Posted by zyzzle
Well then, at least I add value to the forum, if not to Amazon. Much obliged!
Then we may as well be neighbors, because I do the same thing! There are 5 grocery stores (used to be 6, but they're building another one) within 2 miles of my house, a mall, a Lowes, and a fair amount of everything else. Walking to the store is good exercise. What I don't have locally, I typically pass on my 30-minute work commute, so it's not really going out of my way.

I did just spend about $80 at amazon.uk. Want to take advantage of the insanely low exchange rate while I can. I also spent $49.35 with Amazon US: two "fulfilled by Amazon" DVD's (one long out of print...that's one of Amazons' virtues, as few merchants offer that depth of merchandise, even indirectly) and a CD on my wants list since 2014. Free shipping, of course.
Old 03-23-16, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Like I said, it really depends on your buying habits. I'm not trying to convince anyone one way or another to like Amazon or not (this is the complaints thread, after all), I just hate the generalizations about Amazon and that people who DO shop there are somehow blind followers and getting scammed by Prime or their other services.
Old 03-24-16, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Like I said, it really depends on your buying habits. I'm not trying to convince anyone one way or another to like Amazon or not (this is the complaints thread, after all), I just hate the generalizations about Amazon and that people who DO shop there are somehow blind followers and getting scammed by Prime or their other services.
Apparently it has become the hip thing to bitch about Amazon and their customers. Usually by people too cheap to pony up for prime. For $33 a year now, I get free two day shipping on everything I order, no minimums to worry about, access to many prime only deals among other incentives. Prime actually saves me money each year.
Old 03-25-16, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

The way I rationalized it was it will come in VERY handy during single-ticket items that go on DOD, or Lightning Deals, especially during holidays, and I can just buy that single item, versus trying to find something in the last desperate second to meet the free shipping mark, probably not needing the products.
Old 03-28-16, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 896 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
For $33 a year now, I get free two day shipping on everything I order, no minimums to worry about, access to many prime only deals among other incentives. Prime actually saves me money each year.
Well, you must be truly special because you've figured out a way to save $67 a year on Prime. I agree, at $33 a year, Prime would be within the realm of affordability, perhaps even offer some value, but not at $99.

Enlighten us complainers, if you will be so bold, as to how you've managed to skim $66 a year off Amazon's Prime expensive rate.

BTW: Congrats on your coup of "reverse" scamming Amazon the $67 a year's savings on Prime's cost.
Old 03-28-16, 07:01 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

He probably shares the cost and some of the benefits with family. I know we do.
Old 03-28-16, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, it was fairly common and often discussed that under the old Prime account settings you could share your free shipping with 4 "family" members.

They've changed it though, so you can now only share with 1 household member (although they get the other Prime benefits like streaming whereas the previous one only allowed for the free shipping). Although they haven't forced people to change if they're set up under the old account sharing method.
Old 03-29-16, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Cow
He probably shares the cost and some of the benefits with family. I know we do.
Yeah, it was fairly common and often discussed that under the old Prime account settings you could share your free shipping with 4 "family" members.

They've changed it though, so you can now only share with 1 household member (although they get the other Prime benefits like streaming whereas the previous one only allowed for the free shipping). Although they haven't forced people to change if they're set up under the old account sharing method.
Yeah. It really isn't rocket science. Although, apparently, it was too advanced for some to figure out.
I have heard mention that people are still able to split prime. Seems to involve using the same login credentials, and payment. Usually gift cards.
Old 04-01-16, 06:01 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

My wife & I don't have anyone we can share the expense with so $99 becomes the amount we have to shell out. Stop acting so sanctimonious just because you found a way to cheat the system, some people aren't so lucky.
Old 04-01-16, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't see how anyone is acting "sanctimonious" about it, especially when you consider it as a response to to the tone that zyzzle originally posted.

I also wouldn't call it cheating the system, since it was a feature that Amazon allowed for quite some time.
Old 04-01-16, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kd5
My wife & I don't have anyone we can share the expense with so $99 becomes the amount we have to shell out. Stop acting so sanctimonious just because you found a way to cheat the system, some people aren't so lucky.
Who is being sanctimonius and who is cheating the system? No need to be bitter just because you missed out on getting a deal on Prime.
Old 04-01-16, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

kd5 probably took it as a response to him rather than to zyzzle.
Old 04-01-16, 08:39 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I considered myself to be of the same opinion as zyzzle, in the same camp so to speak, and made my post based on that assumption. The part of your post that rankled, and prompted my reponse was with the comment: "...apparently, it was too advanced for some to figure out."

I'm happy you're able to split the cost of Prime with friends and family, if I sounded "bitter" with my comment, I'm really not. You should choose your words more carefully however, so will I.
Old 04-02-16, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Again, not to speak for jjcool but zyzzle's response and accusations to an otherwise innocuous post about Prime seemed to spark the snarky reply
Old 04-02-16, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Again, not to speak for jjcool but zyzzle's response and accusations to an otherwise innocuous post about Prime seemed to spark the snarky reply
This, plus the fact that zyzzle's near-entire posting history has been about the evils of Amazon and other big companies. So don't take it as directed at you, kd5.
Old 04-11-16, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

zyzzle is getting slammed. By who you ask? Prime Members.
Old 04-12-16, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I don't have Prime, yet I order quite a bit from Amazon. Using their subscribe and save, the 15% discount usually puts non-perishables below the cost of local grocery stores or WalMart, plus free shipping. Some things are higher on Amazon, and I'll go locally, but Amazon is always my first stop if I don't need something right away.
Old 04-15-16, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I was just looking around on Amazon and noticed that Star Wars: The Force Awakens is now an Amazon Prime exclusive. Both DVD and blu-ray.

This is probably the biggest release of the year and they've made it a Prime exclusive a week after its release.

WTF? Do they think people who don't already have Prime are going to pay $100 for the privelage of being able to buy this title from Amazon?

Bought my copy from Best Buy last week (wanted to make sure I didn't get a stacker case), but these Prime exclusives really piss me off.
Old 04-15-16, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I was just looking around on Amazon and noticed that Star Wars: The Force Awakens is now an Amazon Prime exclusive. Both DVD and blu-ray.

This is probably the biggest release of the year and they've made it a Prime exclusive a week after its release.

WTF? Do they think people who don't already have Prime are going to pay $100 for the privelage of being able to buy this title from Amazon?

Bought my copy from Best Buy last week (wanted to make sure I didn't get a stacker case), but these Prime exclusives really piss me off.

You get a lot for that $100 - it's worth it.
Old 04-15-16, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 896 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
You get a lot for that $100 - it's worth it.
To Amazon, yes, it's worth it, for their pockets are well-lined and getting heavy. For infrequent customers, it's certainly not.
Old 04-15-16, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Prime exclusive thing is the biggest bullshit from Amazon.
Old 04-15-16, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So don't buy the movie from Amazon. It really isn't that hard. Like was previously said, it is the biggest release of the year. There are plenty of places to buy it.
Old 04-15-16, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
To Amazon, yes, it's worth it, for their pockets are well-lined and getting heavy. For infrequent customers, it's certainly not.

For frequent buyers it is. Infrequent buyers can take their business elsewhere, so what's the problem?

Why would someone get upset that Amazon has made the biggest film of all time a PRIME only exclusive? It seems like smart business from them since they don't want infrequent buyers' money they want money from frequent buyers.
Old 04-15-16, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
For frequent buyers it is. Infrequent buyers can take their business elsewhere, so what's the problem?
Except for the frequent buyers for whom it isn't. But of course there's no reason to respect, or even acknowledge, those fellow frequent customers when they don't fit into one's narrative.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.