Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The complaining about Amazon thread

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-16, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

I've been a Prime user for years too so while the free shipping hike doesn't affect me directly, I certainly think it's extraordinarily high. If I weren't on Prime, I would certainly be spending more time purchasing at local stores whenever possible, at least the way I buy single items frequently under $50 or even $35.

The complaints about being "loyal" to Amazon are pretty silly to me though, even though it is coming from zyzzle so I shouldn't be surprised. I support Amazon as long as they're of value to me; Prime for $99 and getting access to Amazon Instant Video, buying one off items frequently like I mentioned previously with free shipping (which is also shared with a few others based on their old sharing options), and now video games being an extra 20% off are great for me and make up the $99 cost easily. If Prime were priced in a way that I didn't get that value, I'd simply look elsewhere.
Old 02-24-16, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper187
Feedback on marketplace sellers is getting kind of pointless. I used to be able to look through marketplace offers and just pick out a seller with 1000s of ratings, above say 97% positive, and expect to get what I pay for. Now I literally have to comb everyone's feedback if I haven't ordered from them before because they're all garbage.

What's really strange is that Amazon is covering for everyone that uses Amazon fulfillment now. I got another game a few days ago that was supposed to be like new and the disc was all scuffed and scratched. The seller had 100% positive feedback when I ordered, so I didn't look very close. I left negative feedback for the seller, and they were down to like 30% positive for the month at that point because apparently everyone is suddenly unhappy with them. Now they're back to being 100% positive because Amazon struck every negative!! They add a note "Message from Amazon: This item was fulfilled by Amazon, and we take responsibility for this fulfillment experience."

WTF? Amazon had nothing to do with the condition the disc was in when the idiot listed it for sale and sent it to them. Why are they taking responsibility for THAT? I emailed Amazon literally just to demand my feedback be left standing against his perfect percentage and instead of simply doing that they said they'd forward the info to an investigations dept and refunded the order outright. Who's pocket did that come out of? Amazon or that jackass who listed the item?

Other sellers are just buying their feedback because they offer refunds and discounts to get negatives removed. It's just making the whole system worthless.
I recently discovered this as well about feedback. All third-party sellers shipping through Prime get their negative feedback automatically removed. It still shows up if you manually read through their feedback but won't show up in a seller's overall feedback numbers. It's a completely dishonest way to run it.

eBay basically did the same thing with their feedback system, minimizing the ability to neg a seller's feedback.
Old 02-24-16, 06:36 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I don't order enough from Amazon to justify the $99 for Prime, even $79 is too much. But raising the minimum for free shipping to $50 insures I'll be ordering far less from Amazon from now on. Not that long ago it was $25, then $35, now $50 in a relatively short period of time. Have they lost their fucking minds?
Old 02-24-16, 07:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It's that kind of bullshit that keeps terrible outfits like DD in business. When I spend money on something, I want it in my hands within a week. Prime is awesome for this reason. It's the 21st century. Anything less than shipping in stock items within 24 hours of ordering and using first class mail should be unacceptable, and it would be if other people stopped being so damn patient.
You're willing to pay more to get it faster, where as I would rather get more for less. There is nothing 21st century about those concepts, they are ageless. And there is no reason not to have both options available. Nothing but different strokes for different folks.
Old 02-24-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by bsmith
Hey, if Prime works for you great. But for me it is nothing but paying $99 upfront to cover shipping costs when I can get it free. Why would I want to do that, especially given that I'm in no hurry for anything since i have plenty to watch that i can wait a few extra days here and there. Now we just have to wait and see how many others could care less about Prime, aren't interested in getting pushed into something we don't want or need, and are willing to go elsewhere if need be. I generally spend a few thousand a year on Amazon, if they don't want that business that is fine with me.

Time is money. I would rather hit a couple of buttons and have my order arrive the same day or within 2 days and not have to drive and explore some lame store. Amazon and their systems are efficient as hell. I like that. Prime Music/Video/Reading/Shipping - all for $99 a year? Hell yeah, it pays itself.
Old 02-24-16, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I've been a Prime user for years too so while the free shipping hike doesn't affect me directly, I certainly think it's extraordinarily high. If I weren't on Prime, I would certainly be spending more time purchasing at local stores whenever possible, at least the way I buy single items frequently under $50 or even $35.

The complaints about being "loyal" to Amazon are pretty silly to me though, even though it is coming from zyzzle so I shouldn't be surprised. I support Amazon as long as they're of value to me; Prime for $99 and getting access to Amazon Instant Video, buying one off items frequently like I mentioned previously with free shipping (which is also shared with a few others based on their old sharing options), and now video games being an extra 20% off are great for me and make up the $99 cost easily. If Prime were priced in a way that I didn't get that value, I'd simply look elsewhere.

Likewise but going on 13 years it doesn't seem like I won't be getting value for $99 anytime soon.
Old 02-24-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I don't have an issue with it. I've been PRIME and proud since like 2003. It's the only way I roll and I see at getting PRIME streaming for $8.25 a month per year if it's divided up. It's a bargain. I guess people don't really like paying $99 at a clip as opposed to being charged per month. Yeah, yeah, I'm sure we'll get some folks that don't care for the streaming and vice versa but you get a shitload of options for $99 a year.
Some of us don't care about ANY of it though, except the occasional Prime exclusive deal, and hey, we can't have everything. Being Prime-less is better than not for me, and keeping my money, whether $49, $79, $99, etc. is more important than those few Prime Exclusives (which oftentimes are just a pm of Target, BB, WM, etc. anyway).

Hey, if Prime works for you great. But for me it is nothing but paying $99 upfront to cover shipping costs when I can get it free. Why would I want to do that, especially given that I'm in no hurry for anything since i have plenty to watch that i can wait a few extra days here and there. Now we just have to wait and see how many others could care less about Prime, aren't interested in getting pushed into something we don't want or need, and are willing to go elsewhere if need be. I generally spend a few thousand a year on Amazon, if they don't want that business that is fine with me.
I very much agree. I don't even want to know how many tens of thousands of unwatched movies, shows, unread books, graphic novels, and unplayed video games I have. I'm in zero hurry, and actually their shipping slow just gives me more time to get an Amazon gc and use that to pay for the order (I prefer to pay by gc than cc for various reasons).
Old 02-24-16, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Time is money. I would rather hit a couple of buttons and have my order arrive the same day or within 2 days and not have to drive and explore some lame store. Amazon and their systems are efficient as hell. I like that. Prime Music/Video/Reading/Shipping - all for $99 a year? Hell yeah, it pays itself.
I agree time is money. Amazon isn't the only site in town where a couple of clicks of a button can order something. I checked and I spent around $6000 on Amazon alone last year. All with free shipping, except for a few market place purchases. If I needed it to arrive more quickly then Prime would have provided a benefit, but i don't and would rather buy other things with that $100 savings.

No one is saying Prime doesn't have benefits for those that utilize its services because I know it does. But these moves by Amazon appear to be nothing more than an attempt to punish non-Prime users in hopes that they will conform. I have no plans to do so and will happily take my business elsewhere.
Old 02-24-16, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I agree on the value. When Netflix offered to add subscription streaming to my physical subscription, I sampled at the selection and decided it wasn't worth it to me. Now their selection is much different and it offers different value. The idea that we use Prime just because we're loyal drones doesn't make sense.

I use Prime shipping and the streaming, and have dabbled a bit in the music. And yes, I can often wait on my shipments because they're not urgent. So in that case, I select slow shipping and get a $1 digital credit. I've done that probably a dozen times over the first two months of the year, and since I actually use the credits for music, I consider it a defraying of the Prime charge.
Old 02-24-16, 09:43 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I use Prime shipping and the streaming, and have dabbled a bit in the music. And yes, I can often wait on my shipments because they're not urgent. So in that case, I select slow shipping and get a $1 digital credit. I've done that probably a dozen times over the first two months of the year, and since I actually use the credits for music, I consider it a defraying of the Prime charge.
Yep. And actually, between groceries, books, games, movies, and everything else, we place about 200 orders a year thru Amazon. We always use the slow shipping for the free $1, so I actually make money with Prime.
Old 02-24-16, 10:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yep. And actually, between groceries, books, games, movies, and everything else, we place about 200 orders a year thru Amazon. We always use the slow shipping for the free $1, so I actually make money with Prime.
Groceries? Prime Pantry really pisses me off. Only place to get Surge by the case, and I still end up paying shipping in spite of being a Prime member. Yet, I could get a fuckin TV shipped in 2 days for free.
Old 02-24-16, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
I don't order enough from Amazon to justify the $99 for Prime, even $79 is too much. But raising the minimum for free shipping to $50 insures I'll be ordering far less from Amazon from now on. Not that long ago it was $25, then $35, now $50 in a relatively short period of time. Have they lost their fucking minds?
This
Old 02-24-16, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

How does one not order enough from Amazon to justify the $99?

So most who are complaining here spend less than $100 in 1 calendar year at Amazon? If that's really truly the case that those complaining spend less than $100 in 12 months, then fine.

This past Holiday season I spent close to $1,000 on gifts for friends and family alone. Everything was shipped fast and prompt within 2 days with my Prime Membership. Prime has made Christmas shopping so much easier for me than trying to go to B&M's, attempt to gift wrap and then trying to find a time to get together to give the gifts. That paid for Prime alone.

In addition to gifts, I purchase most of my home office supplies, movies and music and digital media. That's in addition to the Original shows and movies for streaming. So much added convenience.
Old 02-24-16, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya

So most who are complaining here spend less than $100 in 1 calendar year at Amazon? If that's really truly the case that those complaining spend less than $100 in 12 months, then fine.

This past Holiday season I spent close to $1,000 on gifts for friends and family alone. Everything was shipped fast and prompt within 2 days with my Prime Membership. Prime has made Christmas shopping so much easier for me than trying to go to B&M's, attempt to gift wrap and then trying to find a time to get together to give the gifts. That paid for Prime alone.

In addition to gifts, I purchase most of my home office supplies, movies and music and digital media. That's in addition to the Original shows and movies for streaming. So much added convenience.

Old 02-24-16, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I spend a lot as well but I never pay for shipping, I am patient.
Old 02-25-16, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Same here. I spent $6000 at Amazon last year, but used free shipping all the way. I just preferred to use that $100 Prime cost to buy more items instead.
Old 02-25-16, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

I'm not sure what the $100 threshold has to do with anything.

I don't really order much from Amazon because they're a shitty place to buy from.

One, their prices aren't that great.

Two, their packaging sucks. A good percentage of the stuff I order from them arrives with some kind of damage incurred during shipping. This means I also do a fair number of exchanges, and run the risk of getting banned.

Three, I've noticed that a not insignificant amount of the things I get from Amazon will arrive to me shelf-worn. Books will be creased and scuffed. DVD digipaks will be dented, scratched, and scuffed. These also get returned. If I wanted a bunch of beat-up used shit, I'd buy used from their Marketplace sellers.

If Amazon was a more reliable company I'd be more inclined to become a Prime member, but as it stands I probably don't place more than fifteen orders per year. I'd love to be able to order books from them, but since it's a crapshoot I rarely do.
Old 02-25-16, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Same here. I spent $6000 at Amazon last year, but used free shipping all the way. I just preferred to use that $100 Prime cost to buy more items instead.
^ Both of these. I spent thousands last year too, and already have 15 orders this year. But why waste $99 getting items faster when I am happy to wait weeks for them?

Last year I bought the now oop Marvel Universe Phase I set for $99 as the DotD instead. The cheapest new one right now at Amazon is $364 shipped, with a warning that one feature at least might be defective. I'm really not regretting that decision.

It's like signing up and paying to get a mani/pedi every week for a year. Yeah, I could do that, but no. No. And still no. Some people do, great for them, but nope.
Old 02-25-16, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also he's strapped for cash.
Old 02-25-16, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Everyone's buying habits and needs are going to differ, so I don't necessarily see the point in picking apart non-Prime users who don't find a benefit in it. Nothing wrong with that and I can see why folks don't want to put $100 down. Shipping costs suck.

That said, for me I don't really see my purchases fitting that mani/pedi example; back when I used to buy a lot more media it was beneficial because individual movies cost less then the free shipping threshold and it was convenient to buy a single movie at a time at release weak when they were cheaper rather then wait to try and group up purchases. This is less of an issue now with Amazon no longer beating retailers and the fact that I buy less media, but the same thing applies for other purchases I regularly make on Amazon; the last few months i've bought random items like household items, dog food, cheap headphones, random gifts, various cables, Blu-rays, video games etc. The Prime cost is still more convenient then the amount of time/gas/price difference that it would to buy these items elsewhere at retail stores collectively so for me the value isn't just about upfront shipping costs.

And that's before whatever value you might get out of Amazon Instant Video, Kindle Lending Library, Prime Music, etc. if any.
Old 02-25-16, 04:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone's buying habits and needs are going to differ, so I don't necessarily see the point in picking apart non-Prime users who don't find a benefit in it. Nothing wrong with that and I can see why folks don't want to put $100 down. Shipping costs suck.

That said, for me I don't really see my purchases fitting that mani/pedi example; back when I used to buy a lot more media it was beneficial because individual movies cost less then the free shipping threshold and it was convenient to buy a single movie at a time at release weak when they were cheaper rather then wait to try and group up purchases. This is less of an issue now with Amazon no longer beating retailers and the fact that I buy less media, but the same thing applies for other purchases I regularly make on Amazon; the last few months i've bought random items like household items, dog food, cheap headphones, random gifts, various cables, Blu-rays, video games etc. The Prime cost is still more convenient then the amount of time/gas/price difference that it would to buy these items elsewhere at retail stores collectively so for me the value isn't just about upfront shipping costs.

And that's before whatever value you might get out of Amazon Instant Video, Kindle Lending Library, Prime Music, etc. if any.
Right. It's worth it to me for black friday week alone when lots of random lightning deals pop up. Plus, I use marketplace fulfilled sellers whenever possible to save a buck or two on sales tax. Moreover, I'd rather be able to monitor my wishlist of movies and games to grab whatever is cheap enough when I see a price drop. If I have to pay shipping or spend more at the time to get free, it's not worth grabbing an $5-$8 blu. I wish someone else could compete with Amazon with good shipping and tax free sales, but it doesn't seem likely at this point. DD went to hell a long time ago, and I have no desire to use that because of their terrible inventory management. I'm not a patient person, and that place is like a bait and switch shitfest. Item page says in stock, then you get to checkout or check order status after and all of a sudden it's backordered. Amazon doesn't do that, so Amazon gets my business.
Old 02-25-16, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Assuming the old $35 free shipping minimum...

For me, my Amazon shopping habits during the non-Christmas season included ordering something like a birthday gift (a $30 picture frame for example), and ordering an additional household item to meet the $35 free shipping minimum. I'll review my Wishlist and grab a household item that seems relatively inexpensive at that particular time. For example, I would get Lysol Disinfecting Wipes for $7. I always use those, so I don't mind using it as a filler item. And that's a competitive price compared to Target and Walmart.

A $35+ total wasn't too hard to achieve. $25 was easy to meet. Now, $49 is a bit much and requires too much extra time trying to find filler products just to meet the free shipping minimum. As a result, I find it easier to go to Target and price match, which I did yesterday for a carbon monoxide detector. But that's just my shopping habits, since I don't purchase enough on Amazon to warrant paying the Prime membership.

I understand Prime has benefits, just not for my shopping habits.
Old 02-26-16, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

I spent about $900 at Amazon in 2015, and that was a big increase over 2014. I'm not interested in streaming video, so paying for Prime to get free shipping would add more than 10% to my cost.

The prices at Walmart.com are competitive, and there is free delivery to a mini Walmart two miles from the house. I'm already going there for my prescription drugs.

I see a lot more Walmart purchases in my future.
Old 02-26-16, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't stream, don't have a Kindle, and don't mind waiting an extra week for my stuff. I would much rather have another hundred bucks worth of books, movies, and whatnot instead.

I bought a ton from Amazon when the free shipping threshold was $25 and a lot less when it bumped to $35. In fact, I cut way down on my blind buys of new releases (especially after Amazon reserved some discounts for Prime members) and it turns out that was a smart decision. I suspect I will buy even less now that the free shipping threshold is $50.

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I see a lot more Walmart purchases in my future.
Same here. There's a Walmart within walking distance of my home, and a location across the street from my office, so free ship to store is mighty convenient for me.
Old 02-26-16, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's that kind of bullshit that keeps terrible outfits like DD in business. When I spend money on something, I want it in my hands within a week. Prime is awesome for this reason. It's the 21st century. Anything less than shipping in stock items within 24 hours of ordering and using first class mail should be unacceptable, and it would be if other people stopped being so damn patient.
<iframe-disabled width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TRTkCHE1sS4?rel=0&showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe-disabled>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.