Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon sales tax discussion

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon sales tax discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-13, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zyzzle
Agreed that Amazon now is terrible for BD pricing, especially so when you figure in tax as well. You're lucky to get 10% off (before tax) on a newly-released catalog title now. Damn, when Amazon's the only one who actually carries that newly-released catalog title (Good luck at BB, Wal-mart, or Target finding IN SEARCH OF... TV series set, TICKS (1993), or CHILD'S PLAY (1972), or PROJECT X (1968), or any Olive release), they can charge what they want.... Really is horrible pricing. And, these titles are likely to never go on sale because they're not 'mainstream'.
If you are really interested in deals you will wait until a title has been out a while. If you must have it at release then you should expect to pay more. I don't get the "gotta have it now" mentality; it's not as if I don't have numerous other BDs to watch while I am waiting for the price to come down over the next year or two. Maybe it's an age thing.

So far as obscure titles go, it is hardly surprising that there aren't as many deals on them. I tend to buy such titles used on the secondary market. I recently picked up a used copy of the Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi BD for a decent price after putting in a price alert for it at camelcamelcamel.com. Where there's a will, there's a way...
Old 07-22-13, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Amazon has started charging me sales tax (Georgia)

It's the end of an era.

Coupled with the additional shipping charges for marketplace CDs/DVDs/Blue-Rays, I'll be spending a lot less money there.

EDIT: It appears that I'm only being charged sales tax on certain marketplace items. Hmmm.

Last edited by SkullOrchard; 07-22-13 at 05:01 AM.
Old 07-22-13, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts
Re: Amazon has started charging me sales tax (Georgia)

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum...iscussion.html
Old 07-23-13, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Amazon hasn't been that competitive on pricing in the past two years, anyway. There is a six-week window before Christmas where they offer great pricing, but they've raised prices pretty much across the board the rest of the year. Most other Internet retailers not tied to B&M chains still don't charge state sales tax.
Old 08-02-13, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Sales tax is the worst in California and they tax you for breathing air.
Old 08-03-13, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PA has been charged sales tax for awhile now and it's definitely affected my purchases. I almost always check to see if Marketplace sellers (or "fulfilled by Amazon" vendors) have a better price first, as the combination of tax and $3.99 shipping for media items really adds up quick.

I really think the latter has bitten them in the ass, though. Third-party sellers are just pricing their stuff even lower now.
Old 08-04-13, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Sales tax is the worst in California and they tax you for breathing air.
The ironic thing is, Prop 30 (increase CA sales tax) was approved by CA voters last year. Still boggles my mind that people voted Yes for that prop.

Anyways, I still find myself shopping at Amazon for a majority of my gift purchases, despite the sales tax issue.
Old 08-06-13, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Anyways, I still find myself shopping at Amazon for a majority of my gift purchases, despite the sales tax issue.
With the majority of my Amazon purchases being new-releases on Blu-ray, I find myself pricematching at Target more than before.

Not to say Amazon kills all in pricing (the tax is killer here), but I've gotten some good deals off and on textbooks for school and things like that. Overall, though, I've done a fraction of shopping there since the sales-tax mandate when in to effect.
Old 08-09-13, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Amazon sales tax discussion

Georgia is getting on the sales tax bandwagon starting on September.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breakin...rgia-on/nZKTf/

Amazon to start collecting sales tax in Georgia on Sept. 1

by Arielle Kass

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Amazon.com will start collecting sales tax in Georgia beginning Sept. 1, the online retailer confirmed Friday exclusively to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

In other states, Amazon paired its plans to begin collecting sales tax with huge job announcements, but a spokesman for the company told the AJC there are no plans to build a warehouse or other operations in the state.

Retailers operating brick-and-mortar stores welcomed the news as helping to level the playing field with online competitors.

“It makes a difference to those brick and mortar folks who lost business,” said Rick McAllister, president of the Georgia Retail Association. “I’m certainly delighted.”

Georgia passed a law last year that went into effect in January and was intended to collect taxes from Amazon and other online retailers. Online sellers that did not charge sales tax to shoppers claimed they did not have to because they did not have offices or employees in the state.

The law, which expanded the definition of a physical presence in the state, was expected to add an additional $16 million annually to the state’s coffers. The bulk of that would have come from Amazon’s sales, but the company has not yet collected the tax. That will change next month.
Old 08-11-13, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

The good news just keeps on coming! Yes, when Amazon started taxing NY and CA, I knew the gig was up. Soon other companies will follow Amazon's 'lead' and our internet 'bargains' will get more expensive across the board by 7 to 10%. I know I've curbed my purchases since the extra taxing begain. It's simple psychology. Soon, we'll probably get a VAT in the USA also. I wouldn't be at all surprised...
Old 08-11-13, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

My average monthly amazon expenditure went from around $100 in '08-'11, to under $10 now.

And it's not just tax, more than that, the deals just aren't what they used to be, neither is Prime, and a lot of the more obscure products are sold through 3rd parties and not amazon like they used to be.
Old 08-11-13, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am so bummed about Georgia having to pay sales tax. I buy a lot off amazon. I mean, a lot. This is going to change my buying habits entirely.

Time to go find new places to shop online that aren't charging us sales tax yet. Screw that noise.
Old 08-12-13, 10:39 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by onebyone
I am so bummed about Georgia having to pay sales tax. I buy a lot off amazon. I mean, a lot. This is going to change my buying habits entirely.

Time to go find new places to shop online that aren't charging us sales tax yet. Screw that noise.
yep, same here
Old 09-03-13, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Virginia sales tax for Amazon purchases kicked in on Sunday. I knew it was going to be enacted this month, but forgot exactly when. It added $5.24 to the Fitbit Flex I ordered yesterday. If I wasn't already using some Amazon gift cards I probably would've just headed over to Best Buy for instant gratification (and RZ points). Amazon was only $1 cheaper.
Old 09-03-13, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by onebyone

At least Georgia is less than other states (6% where I am). But still ... I'm not renewing Prime (which is set to rebill me later in the month). And my already declining media purchases are likely to drop even lower.
Old 09-04-13, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Virginia sales tax for Amazon purchases kicked in on Sunday. I knew it was going to be enacted this month, but forgot exactly when. It added $5.24 to the Fitbit Flex I ordered yesterday. If I wasn't already using some Amazon gift cards I probably would've just headed over to Best Buy for instant gratification (and RZ points). Amazon was only $1 cheaper.
We've had it here for ages. Since it started I'll still do business with Amazon but if BB has it at close to the same price I just get it there for the same reasons.
Old 09-10-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The addition of tax has drastically cut back my rate of purchases from Amazon itself. I was always wondering why so many third party items shipped by Prime sold out so quickly when they were basically the same price as Amazon itself, until I realized those items don't get charged sales tax for most states.
Old 09-25-13, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by DJLinus
I'm in VA and I wasn't sure what would happen (if tax was based on delivery or billing location) so I tried shipping to my parents' house in MD. Voila (or viola, as some say), no tax for me!
Old 10-23-13, 10:56 AM

Uh-oh, tax for MD on the horizon:

Amazon.com says it will open a 1 million-square-foot fulfillment center in Baltimore, bringing more than 1,000 full-time jobs.

The online retailer said Tuesday that Amazon employees will pick, pack and ship books, electronics and consumer goods at the facility. WBAL-AM reports that the center will be on the site of the former General Motors Assembly plant along Broening Highway in Southeast Baltimore.

Gov. Martin O’Malley said the facility is joining the area surrounding the Port of Baltimore. Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said center presents a unique industrial development opportunity.

Amazon.com did not give an opening date for the facility.
Old 10-23-13, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dleedlee
Welcome to the club. It was rather elite but many more are joining.
Old 10-23-13, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Amazon hasn't been that competitive on pricing in the past two years, anyway. There is a six-week window before Christmas where they offer great pricing, but they've raised prices pretty much across the board the rest of the year. Most other Internet retailers not tied to B&M chains still don't charge state sales tax.
I was at the Woodcraft store yesterday looking at the Fein Multimaster for a remodel job I have coming up. I used a phone app to do a price comparison and it said Amazon had the $300 item for $265 plus used ones for $150. I decided to go home and order one of those. Got there and Amazon was $295, a whole $4 cheaper. Not sure why my ShopSaavy app was so far off but now I have to go back to Woodcraft. Surprised there was really no savings.
Old 10-24-13, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by dleedlee

Amazon.com says it will open a 1 million-square-foot fulfillment center in Baltimore, bringing more than 1,000 full-time jobs.

The online retailer said Tuesday that Amazon employees will pick, pack and ship books, electronics and consumer goods at the facility. WBAL-AM reports that the center will be on the site of the former General Motors Assembly plant along Broening Highway in Southeast Baltimore.

Gov. Martin O’Malley said the facility is joining the area surrounding the Port of Baltimore. Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said center presents a unique industrial development opportunity.

Amazon.com did not give an opening date for the facility.
Great, now more of Marylanders' taxes can go to doing absolutely nothing.
Old 11-01-13, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fuck me, starting today, Amazon now collects tax in Connecticut. Had I known, I would have placed an order yesterday.
Old 11-01-13, 06:19 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't understand why Amazon charges tax on the shipping charges as well. I noticed it the other day when I clicked over to the free shipping option and the tax went down.
Old 11-01-13, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RonG617
I don't understand why Amazon charges tax on the shipping charges as well. I noticed it the other day when I clicked over to the free shipping option and the tax went down.
Damn, that's just adding insult to injury.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.