Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Blujay.com- username- "Cinefile" selling burned DVDs

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 05-14-12, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, first off I should have known better. I am not one usually to purchase from odd sites, but I wound up finding a good price on the Double Indemnity 2-Disc set through Google shopping that linked to blujay.com. I did a few minutes of research about Blujay.com and figured I'd take the chance on this classified ad- because I'm a cheapskate and this set seems to be climbing in price.

http://www.blujay.com/?page=ad&adid=3808052&cat=0

Again, I'm an idiot, I know, but I'm just trying to warn anyone else that may find this classified from Google. Do not buy this set. It's 2-discs burned on DVD-Rs lightscribe discs. The person who sells them is "Cinefile." If anyone wants this users email send me a PM. I emailed the seller as soon as I received the package, and can't say if this will be amicably resolved. I don't hold much hope, but I'm trying to save someone else $15 and chalking it up to an idiot tax.

Last edited by mhanlen1; 05-15-12 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-14-12, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Blujay.com- username- "Cinefile" selling burned DVDs

Seems like there are lots of users there.. but i've never heard of them. Thanks for the warning.
Old 05-14-12, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
Seems like there are lots of users there.. but i've never heard of them. Thanks for the warning.
Well I googled blu-jay and there seemed to be people saying it was legit, and there seemed to be quite a few people there- which is why I took a chance. I have no idea if this is the normal experience there, but buy with serious caution.
Old 05-15-12, 12:38 PM

I have never heard of Blujay.com, but just had a look at the posting. IMHO, this should have been your warning:

The two disks come in protective paper sleeves for light shipping
Lots of pirates will state "you will receive only the disks, without the packaging". There will be occasions where a case is lost or destroyed, but very few. Not explaining this, but still selling the disks as "new" seems highly suspicious. I have reached the point where I nearly always contact Amazon or EBay sellers before a purchase, to avoid surprises, and that probably should go double for smaller sites like this.

While Blujay is new to me, I am familiar with iOffer.com, which has a large amount of piracy going on. I've never understood that while the movie studios usually seem so adamant at stamping out piracy, they seem to tolerate this extremely low-hanging fruit.
Old 05-15-12, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by thetao
I have never heard of Blujay.com, but just had a look at the posting. IMHO, this should have been your warning:

Lots of pirates will state "you will receive only the disks, without the packaging". There will be occasions where a case is lost or destroyed, but very few. Not explaining this, but still selling the disks as "new" seems highly suspicious. I have reached the point where I nearly always contact Amazon or EBay sellers before a purchase, to avoid surprises, and that probably should go double for smaller sites like this.

While Blujay is new to me, I am familiar with iOffer.com, which has a large amount of piracy going on. I've never understood that while the movie studios usually seem so adamant at stamping out piracy, they seem to tolerate this extremely low-hanging fruit.

Well I don't normally buy from sites like this, and it was super late. Seeing as he had a feedback of 88 and again, I didn't do a lot of research, I thought it was safe. It was only $5 off what I'd pay used on Amazon. There were a few red flags I didn't catch, like that and "Criterion collection," which is why I called it idiot tax.

I have never ever bought a single bootleg from years of shopping on Amazon and eBay, so I'd say I've been pretty cautious. 1 out of hundreds of transactions isn't bad. Anyway lesson learned, I'm now filing a paypal claim since he didn't respond. What's weird is that the seller was very communicative about updating me on shipping, and even provided a paypal label and tracking number.
Old 05-18-12, 07:37 AM

So my paypal charge looks like it's going to be reversed. Here is what the seller said on Blujays invoice page yesterday.

cinephile [05/11/12 5:44am]:
Greetings:
This is a wonderful set of a classic. It will ship today and shorly I will provide your your tracking. Thank you!

cinephile [05/11/12 8:10am]:
Just an update to provide the tracking number
with www.usps.com
This is a wonderful set. The original movie, from 1944, is the classic film noir and really set off the genre. Great performances. Thank you, please shop again as we are please to combine shipping for multiple orders.

Invoice# 441429 PAYMENT Reversed via PayPal [05/15/12 4:15pm]

cinephile Accepted invoice [05/18/12 4:37am]

cinephile Closed invoice [05/18/12 4:39am]
cinephile [05/18/12 4:39am]:
THS IS NOT CANCELLED. PAYPAL HAS OVERSTEPPED ITS BOUNDARIES EVEN WRITING ANYTHING ON MY BLUJAY INVOICE, AND YOU CAN BLOODY WELL BE SURE THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY. NO NOT CANCELLED. IF YOU HAVE AP ERSONAL FRIEND AT PAYPAL WHO WILINGLY WOULD HACK SOMEONE'S ACCOUNT, OR BREAK THE LAW TO DO THIS, YOU HAVE JUST CAUSED THAT PERSON NO END OF GRIEF. I WILL CONTACT PAYPAL'S LEGAL TEAM OF THIS PAYPAL HACKING TO MY BLUJAY ACCOUNT.
Old 05-18-12, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

^^ comedy
Old 05-19-12, 03:22 PM

Wow, that's even less professional than my worst exchange with a merchant! If you want to have more fun, report them to the MPAA:

http://www.mpaa.org/contentprotection/report-piracy
Old 05-19-12, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

That's what you get for ordering DVDs from a Canadian baseball team.
Old 05-19-12, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by thetao
Wow, that's even less professional than my worst exchange with a merchant! If you want to have more fun, report them to the MPAA:

http://www.mpaa.org/contentprotection/report-piracy
Oh, I just provided one of his/her communications on the matter. There's a few others I didn't post.

And I was also recommended by someone else that I report the user to the MPAA, which I did several days ago. If it's going to be this much trouble to get a paypal refund for some shitty burned DVDs they passed off as legit, then I'm going to make it hard on them too.