Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

So Amazon is delaying FSS preorders now too?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11, 10:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to remember preordering at amazon.com before and actually having my DVDs ship on the goddamn release date. Now 2 days later, neither of my preorders for the 1st have shipped. Amazon is really starting to annoy me. The UK and French sites started sticking everyone with DHL, which is apparently incapable of delivering to the US anymore. Prime in the US became useless for pretty much the same reason. They refuse to let their customers choose a goddamn shipping carrier and everybody gets screwed. People have been bitching about A1 losing Amazon shipments for 4 or 5 years now and Amazon still uses them. Will it ever end?
Old 11-10-11, 10:11 PM

Re: So Amazon is delaying FSS preorders now too?

Stop being cheap and either pay for shipping or subscribe to amazon prime. Amazon is under no obligation to offer you release date free shipping.
Old 11-10-11, 10:18 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

No complaints here and we get quite a bit shipped from Amazon.
Old 11-10-11, 10:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by waylonsmithers
Stop being cheap and either pay for shipping or subscribe to amazon prime. Amazon is under no obligation to offer you release date free shipping.
I'd love to go back to Prime, but the assholes won't stick to real carriers like UPS and FedEx anymore. They keep using 3rd rate jackoffs. It's not about being cheap, it's about actually getting my shit on time and in one piece. If simple Priority Mail was an option for Prime or you could guarantee UPS, I'd be all over it.
Old 11-10-11, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I've always received my stuff on time and undamaged with Amazon Prime. I also didn't have any problems with my recent orders from Amazon Canada and Amazon UK.
Old 11-11-11, 12:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by clckworang
I've always received my stuff on time and undamaged with Amazon Prime. I also didn't have any problems with my recent orders from Amazon Canada and Amazon UK.
Amazon uses shit carriers like A1, Prestige, OnTrac, and Lasership in some areas now. Amazon UK and FR are screwing people in the US now by using DHL. Everything I ordered from Amazon UK in the past always came through Royal Mail (extremely fast, I might add), but my last order went DHL and never showed up. Many people have complained about that with FR lately. I had to wait nearly a month for them to declare the damn thing missing. The replacement was sent through Royal Mail, which is NOT considered express service. I had it in THREE DAYS just like before! So my last order I decided to try the same thing I was doing for my free standard shipping before my Prime ran out to force USPS shipping. I faked a PO box address, and guess what? They shipped it Royal Mail. I should change my mailing address for my Torchwood preorder next week and switch back to standard shipping, but I opted for the insanely expensive express service. If they stick me with DHL for that, I'll definitely be bitching for a shipping refund.
Old 11-11-11, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think you should just quit ordering from Amazon and find some other options.
Old 11-11-11, 08:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by clckworang
I think you should just quit ordering from Amazon and find some other options.
There aren't any. I've been burned by DeepDiscount's BS enough times in the past. Walmart sticks everyone with that Smartpost or Mail Innovations half assed backward shit that always takes longer, and there really aren't any other decent places.
Old 11-12-11, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

OnTrac is in my area, and I never really have any major issues with them.
Old 11-13-11, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Viper187
There aren't any. I've been burned by DeepDiscount's BS enough times in the past. Walmart sticks everyone with that Smartpost or Mail Innovations half assed backward shit that always takes longer, and there really aren't any other decent places.
Then there are always B&M stores.
Old 11-13-11, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper187
Amazon uses shit carriers like A1, Prestige, OnTrac, and Lasership in some areas now. Amazon UK and FR are screwing people in the US now by using DHL. Everything I ordered from Amazon UK in the past always came through Royal Mail (extremely fast, I might add), but my last order went DHL and never showed up. Many people have complained about that with FR lately. I had to wait nearly a month for them to declare the damn thing missing. The replacement was sent through Royal Mail, which is NOT considered express service. I had it in THREE DAYS just like before! So my last order I decided to try the same thing I was doing for my free standard shipping before my Prime ran out to force USPS shipping. I faked a PO box address, and guess what? They shipped it Royal Mail. I should change my mailing address for my Torchwood preorder next week and switch back to standard shipping, but I opted for the insanely expensive express service. If they stick me with DHL for that, I'll definitely be bitching for a shipping refund.
How do you fake a p.o. box number? Use your home address and a P.O. Box to it? That sounds like it could go the wrong way.
Old 11-14-11, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All of my Amazon Prime orders come via UPS.
Old 11-14-11, 10:58 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I canceled my Amazon Prime and it had nothing to do with being cheap. Here we got switched from UPS to Prestige and 80% of my packages would come late if at all, multiple packages were lost - Amazon refused to ship UPS to me stating they can't tell their system how to ship. So I canceled it and now whenever I choose free shipping its usually held for over a week before they ship - but it is FREE SHIPPING. If its something I need I just pay the $3 for faster shipping.
Old 11-15-11, 08:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I pick free shipping whenever I can, because I rarely care about getting the DVDs right away. At least half the time the items ship on or right after the release date if I preorder soon enough. I will admit that the promptness when using FSS used to be more consistent that it is now, but only rarely have I had to wait more than a week past the release date. I'm sure they are under cost-cutting pressures just like everyone else, so if shipping speed slips a little, that's the deal I accept by not paying for shipping.
Old 11-17-11, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I always use free shipping. It's a crapshoot... sometimes I get stuff in 2-3 days, but occasionally it's been as long as 2 weeks. But it doesn't bother me to wait. It's the same damn movie, whether it arrives on release date or a couple days later.

I've never understood the "GOTTA HAVE IT NOW!!!" mentality of so many DVD/BD collectors, especially when many of the people complaining seem to be the ones with piles of unwatched movies so huge it'll be weeks before they get to that movie they just had to have on release date anyway.

Now if you need it right away, like for a gift or something, I can understand paying. Otherwise, not really.