Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

New eBay seller policies - Auction listings now free & Final Fee includes shipping

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

New eBay seller policies - Auction listings now free & Final Fee includes shipping

Old 04-16-11, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: New eBay seller policies - Auction listings now free & Final Fee includes shippin

Amazon may cost more, I'm not sure, but I don't care because it really is painless to sell things on that site if you aren't a volume seller. Ebay's infrastructure is a pain in the ass.
Old 04-17-11, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts
Re: New eBay seller policies - Auction listings now free & Final Fee includes shippin

I was a volume seller. And the infrastructure was still a pain in the ass.

I would not recommend that anyone use eBay. Take your DVD's or whatever to a local record store for some credit.

If you're not in a hurry to sell, I'd also recommend Amazon. Your inventory just sits there, at $0 cost, until it sells. If it sells, it sells. They take their cut straight from the sale. There's nothing to "manage".

Mark my words, eBay will be like MySpace in a few years.
Old 04-20-11, 08:10 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well ebay just lost my business for good. Between Discogs, Amazon and Ebay I have 100% on all of them with over 600 transactions. Yesterday I see this idiot buyer left me negative feedback (my first ever) because he said "this is not icp" - I have no idea what that means, I listed the Artist, Album title, and tracklist along with Cover art, apparently the guy thought it was an Insane Clown Posse CD. He received it 3 days after he won it. I e-mailed ebay and told them and they replied "You should be satisfied your feedback rating is still 98%, we can not change the feedback"

And to leave negative comments on the buyers page I had to leave positive feedback... all over a $5 CD, the buyer didn't even bother contacting me, fuck ebay and fuck stupid juvenile buyers.

I've been buying a ton of my stuff from ebay as of late and use paypal as the main checkout option for my business - but this buyer who has a feedback record of 12 rules all.

No thanks.
Old 04-21-11, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was it that he thought was ICP?
Old 04-21-11, 03:54 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
What was it that he thought was ICP?
Hex - Gates of Hell (a CD i found in a box, know nothing about it - but I know its not ICP)
Old 04-21-11, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by bse
Hex - Gates of Hell (a CD i found in a box, know nothing about it - but I know its not ICP)
Then you probably shouldn't have put "ICP" in the auction title:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hex-Gates-Hell-C...-/150578307823 [shows up on a google search]

Unless they've changed their policy, eBay frowns on "keyword spamming."
Old 04-22-11, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Then you probably shouldn't have put "ICP" in the auction title:
Agreed. Keyword spamming is not just frowned upon, it's specifically disallowed.
Old 04-24-11, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Todd B.
Agreed. Keyword spamming is not just frowned upon, it's specifically disallowed.
That's another retarded thing about eBay. They NEVER followed up to any of my reports. And they would never bother to fix/cancel the reported listings. Sellers (not me) would keyword spam. And if I saw it, I would report them (honestly, just to get competitors' listings ended, or just to get the search results right).

Ebay is too large to care. They've turned into a bunch of soggy desk jockeys.

I recommend that nobody buys nor sells on eBay anymore.
Old 04-24-11, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
I recommend that nobody buys nor sells on eBay anymore.
Just need to come up with another popular auction type site. Amazon is fine for some things but there's different markets that can really only be done at an auction site.
Old 04-24-11, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonG617
You can't charge $20 shipping for a dvd, the most you can charge is $3. They changed the rules a while ago to stop people from overcharging shipping on media items. I guess that wasn't enough for them.
EXACTLY. Ebay has had the "postage maximum" on the DVD & Movies category for some time as well as for Books ($4.00 - doesn't matter if it's a pamplet or a humongous coffeetable book that would take up half a bookshelf.) And paypal has long taken their cut from the final value/postage total. There's usually very little profit for the seller if any after the fees unless somehow you have a item which has a final bid that went through the roof due to a bidding war which is highly unlikely to happen in the dvd or book categories and not even very likely in many other categories given the current economy. I used to sell at least half of the stuff I listed on ebay, now 20-25 percent of them seems to be about the norm.

Let's not forget those listing fees for NON SOLD items on ebay if you do list more than 50 items per month.
Old 04-24-11, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those penny a bid auction sites seem to be popping up everywhere. Setting one of those up would be pretty cool for selling dvd's. Cost's just a 1$ to bid, and if you get 5-10 bids and the item actually sells for $.05-$.10 you would actually be making more $ than trying to sell them on ebay or amazon.

The problem would be just getting traffic to the site.
Old 04-24-11, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Just need to come up with another popular auction type site. Amazon is fine for some things but there's different markets that can really only be done at an auction site.
I research 10-50 items a day, when adding them to my inventory. My "search" consists of Googling the part # and a few other methods. A site named "iOffer.Com" has been showing up A LOT. Apparently a lot of people are going there. I'd buy long-term stock immediately if they went public. And I'll have my inventory on there within a couple weeks.

iOffer's business model is what eBay's used to be. The admin is more or less 'hands off' with the transactions, and they keep their fees low (if there are any fees right now). eBay gets in trouble because they now mediate everything. And their desk jockeys really don't understand how used/surplus/overstock business (nor business in general) works. They don't understand their own rules. A lot of decisions they make are on a whim, with zero regards to the seller (who pays them all of that money).

The anonymity vs business crippling severity of the feedback system is just fustrating.

eBay tried to fix something that wasn't broken. They bought PayPal. They keep buying into other companies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...itions_by_eBay) They just bought GSI Commerce (a fufillment company). It appears that they're going to add the ability for companies like Toys R Us to sell on eBay, which is really to rival Amazon with more "retail type" sales. But they don't seem to have the management nor expertise to take care of any of this stuff.

Then, they obnoxiously up their fees this spring ... again. One must ask, "who do they think they are"?
Old 04-24-11, 11:35 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

iOffer would be great, but they offer bootleg DVDs. Just look at The Wonder Years.

Not sure I'd want to buy or sell anything on a site that has bee knowingly selling bootlegs for years.
Old 04-25-11, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
iOffer would be great, but they offer bootleg DVDs. Just look at The Wonder Years.

Not sure I'd want to buy or sell anything on a site that has bee knowingly selling bootlegs for years.
Is that a joke? There's a gagillion bootleg DVD's on eBay. I actually don't quite understand why it's allowed.
Old 04-25-11, 06:19 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I've purchased off Ioffer a bunch of times over the years when I needed some mods on equipment and dvd boots. The problem with the site is that it is really a mixed bag of quality of product and sellers.
Old 04-26-11, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Then, they obnoxiously up their fees this spring ... again. One must ask, "who do they think they are"?
The United States Postal Service
Old 04-26-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
The United States Postal Service
Hehe. But the USPS still doesn't get much of my money. It's kind of like my "salt budget". They could triple the cost of table salt, and I won't mind.

When I was selling on there, eBay was making more money than me (there's three of us here). eBay was my single largest bill every month. And that doesn't even take into account all of my "PayPal" fees. eBay's fees were out of control and obnoxious before they decided to raise them again.
Old 04-26-11, 04:56 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Media Mail is still the cheapest thing by far to ship via any carrier. As long as the post office offers that, then they are okay with me.
Old 05-01-11, 09:13 PM
Suspended

Is that a joke? There's a gagillion bootleg DVD's on eBay. I actually don't quite understand why it's allowed.
No, iOffer fully offers bootlegs of Movies and such multiple times. eBay pulls auctions that knowingly offers Bootlegs. Of course, eBay can't tell if someone is selling a bootleg copy of Aladdin on DVD without pictures, but The Wonder Years Complete Series? That's a bootleg.
Old 05-01-11, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but The Wonder Years Complete Series? That's a bootleg.
It's a legit Region Free NTSC Russian release.
Old 05-02-11, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No, iOffer fully offers bootlegs of Movies and such multiple times. eBay pulls auctions that knowingly offers Bootlegs. Of course, eBay can't tell if someone is selling a bootleg copy of Aladdin on DVD without pictures, but The Wonder Years Complete Series? That's a bootleg.
Eh, there were fake Howard the Duck DVD's on eBay for years.
Old 05-03-11, 10:43 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
It's a legit Region Free NTSC Russian release.
http://www.ioffer.com/search/items/wonder%20years

And that's why all the box art looks different? And the disc count...and the "quality scale"?
Old 05-07-11, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So ebay says that people below their minimum selling standards will have their paypal payments pending until the item arrives with the buyer.. They told me that I am below their minimum standards. I currently have 48 positives, 0 negatives, and a 5 star rating. Fuck them then, no more selling through them if they think that my track record is worthy of treating me like a scammer.
Old 05-12-11, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep'. They pushed. But now they overstepped. People aren't going to like using them anymore. If they stay afloat, it'll be because of their other companies and investments (PayPal, Skype, distribution companies, etc.).
Old 05-13-11, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by glassdragon
So ebay says that people below their minimum selling standards will have their paypal payments pending until the item arrives with the buyer.
Where can I find those minimum selling standards?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.