Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

HKFlix.com site down

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

HKFlix.com site down

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-11, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKFlix.com site down

It's been down for the last few days. Which is odd, I just ordered from them 5 days ago. Anyone know more about this?
Old 03-16-11, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: HKFlix.com site down

*Phew* Just got a quick email reply, that's a relief.

We are down temporarily--I will lookup your order and let you know what has shipped within 24 hours (you actually may get it before I can look it up). Thanks for your patience.

Michael Scott
Well, even though I answered my own question, I'll leave this thread up because there are bound to be other people wondering what's going on with HK Flix. In my Google searches prior to this post, I came across another forum where people were frantic and wondering if HK Flix went out of business. DVD Talk forums turn up in Google searches too.
Old 03-16-11, 07:11 PM
Banned

On the Kung Fu Cinema forums they are saying HKFlix is officially dead.

Yes, Raymond. The new owners drove the company into the ground and this was the final nail in the coffin. HKFlix is no more.
http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/s...t=13940&page=2
Old 03-17-11, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't look like it's down, looks like it's done.
Did it come up as godaddy.com like it does right now?
Old 03-17-11, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just received the end of my orders from them yesterday. I don't know the deal, but they are occasionally very good, and have been reliable for me.
Old 03-17-11, 09:55 AM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

That blows. I had about $3 in store credit there.
Old 03-17-11, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Damn, I just ordered Storm Warriors blu from them last month. Their site was a great way to index various releases of movies. Shame.
Old 03-17-11, 07:55 PM

Looks like HKFLIX may actually be done. Even their Facebook page has disappeared. And I have a pending order with them, too..
Old 03-17-11, 08:13 PM
Banned

Their Facebook page is still up.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HKFlixcom/51184289812

someone posted on it

Hong Kong Film Net Hey guys, I run Hong Kong Film Net (www.hkfilm.net) and was affiliated with HKFlix for many years. I think HKFlix has gone out of business. I have not have any communication with them since early January. Their site was not updated since late January, and most of the items listed on it were either out of stock or on special order. If you currently have an open order with HKFlix, I would suggest to contact the owner at [email protected]
Old 03-18-11, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My DVDs arrived yesterday.

Hmm. If they're going out of business, that's too bad. To reiterate the first email reply I got from Michael Scott:

We are down temporarily*--I will lookup your order and let you know what has shipped within 24 hours (you actually may get it before I can look it up). Thanks for your patience.
*=(My emphasis)

RE the Twitterer:
Their site was not updated since late January, and most of the items listed on it were either out of stock or on special order.
The majority of the DVDs I ordered were clearance/sale DVDs whose pages stated that the sale expired on 1/31/2011, but the prices were still good as I added them to my cart & ordered them. As for items being out of stock, well, that's why there's that handy search option "Show In-Stock items only".

Item No. : 842498000076
Product Name : The Vengeance Trilogy [US 8-Disc Box] DVD [sale pricing]
Item Price : $19.98
Quantity : 1
Cost : $19.98

Item No. : 014381317626
Product Name : Murder A La Mod / The Moving Finger [DOUBLE FEATURE] DVD [blowout]
Item Price : $4.79
Cost : $4.79

Item No. : 012569647510
Product Name : Poltergeist [25th Anniversary Edition] DVD [blowout]
Item Price : $2.99
Cost : $2.99
I also ordered one more which ended up being out of stock. I don't really care since I wasn't charged for it.
Old 03-18-11, 01:42 PM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I ordered a bunch of clearance stuff on 2/12 and got most of it a week later. I got an e-mail from Michael Scott on 3/9 about the credit for a missing item, so they were apparently still operating 8 days ago.
Old 03-26-11, 08:24 AM
Banned

Original founder of HKFlix.com speaks out

Dear HKFlix Customers:

In the wake of HKFlix.com being shut down last week, and in light of some of the feedback I have heard from customers in recent months, I am writing this letter in the hopes of explaining some of what happened to HKFlix and offering you the apology that I feel you deserve.

I was one of the original founders of HKFlix, and an owner until October, 2009, when we sold the business after ten memorable years of operation. HKFlix began (as HKFlicks) in an apartment in Honolulu, HI. It eventually grew to an apartment in Berkeley, CA; a garage in Berkeley, CA; a funky little converted storefront in Oakland, CA; and finally a proper warehouse in San Leandro, CA. We began the business when we were in our early 20’s and learned as we went—often the hard way.

I know HKFlix has always had its critics, but please believe me when I say that it was always run by a very small group of people who sincerely cared about the films we sold, the customers we serviced, and the way we did business. Our goal was to offer collectors the best possible selection, pricing, and shopping experience, while also providing an exceptional work environment and a living wage to our employees.

We took great pride in our network of affiliates—independent, film-related web sites that collected a generous commission for sending more customers our way. We were always eager to help them succeed, above and beyond simply promoting HKFlix—whether that meant offering programming help and advice, free review copies of DVDs, plugging them in our newsletters, or just someone to chat with.

Beyond that, we always invested as much money as possible back into the company to continue to expand our catalog and our quality of service.

No one got rich working at HKFlix—believe me, when you’re working up to 90 hours a week, you’re well beyond the realm of monetary compensation!—but we all took pride in our work, looked out for each other, and took great delight in the positive feedback we regularly received from our customers—who were, by and large, the most loyal any business could ever hope for.

There is a very vocal segment that loves to talk about “bootlegs”, and as that is a conversation that could go on forever, I’ll just address the issue as briefly as possible. The fact of the matter is that HKFlix was always between a rock and a hard place there. What people need to understand is that questions of copyrights on many of these obscure films are often 1) in dispute, or cloudy at best, 2) beyond the means or purview of a small retailer to disentangle, and 3) dictated by what the rest of the industry is doing. Which is to say that if four different companies are claiming a copyright on the same film (or claiming there is none), if the film in question itself contains copyright-infringed material, if other major retailers and distributors are selling a product and our customers demand it, if our distributor claims they have a right to sell the film to us, and if the (alleged) copyright holders are unable/unwilling to enforce their copyrights through proper legal channels (or even reply to our proactive inquiries); then we’re really at the mercy of circumstance to navigate the proper course. None of us at HKFlix liked inferior products from ANY supplier (PanMedia products were often referred to as PanShittia in our warehouse), and we always strove to identify and publicly denounce inferior products on our web site, calling attention to any and all flaws we knew about. Furthermore, we all didn’t agree on this subject. We had plenty of internal disputes about these products. Sure, we made some mistakes along the way, but it does seem HKFlix was held to a higher standard than any of our competitors, which I suppose is both flattering and frustrating.

All of this brings us to October, 2009, when we sold HKFlix. We did our best to find a buyer whom we hoped and expected would honor the traditions of HKFlix and grow the company. I stayed on for some time to aid in the transition, but eventually left the business for the new owner to run. I cannot speak to how the business operated after that, but I was saddened to see that HKFlix.com was shut down last week.

It was very painful to watch the company we had built disappear, to read accounts online of HKFlix customers who had abandoned the site and said their emails and calls were not being answered. I know it might not mean much at this late date, coming from someone whose involvement in the site ended long ago, but please allow me to say this: I AM SO SORRY. I’m sorry if your emails went unanswered. And I’m sorry that one of your favorite film resources has disappeared. Lastly, I’m sorry that I am not in a position to change it. All of you who used HKFlix as a resource over the years during which I operated the business were, and continue to be, important and valued members of a wonderful community.

When HKFlix.com disappeared, a wealth of valuable content went with it. In addition to thousands of customer and professional reviews, there was ten years’ worth of my own personal effort building the world’s largest database of martial arts films, complete with manually-verified technical details the likes of which have never been collected elsewhere. I’ve seen a few scattered comments here and there from people who would like to see that content resurrected in some kind of non-commercial/informational context. I have backups of all the data up to the sale of the business, and rights to it, and would welcome any ideas anyone has about how best to accomplish this (see contact link below). I built the HKFlix web site from the ground up (using nothing but Notepad!) and would be more than willing to do a good deal of technical legwork. But the biggest issue is the hosting costs. HKFlix was a fairly complex site running on Microsoft SQL Server (dedicated) and IIS, which unfortunately makes it very expensive to host. I’m open to hearing your ideas. But please do include some viable means of covering those costs.

In closing, thank you once again for ten years of supporting HKFlix. By doing so you gave good jobs to good people, supported independent films and local businesses, and hopefully got yourself some fantastic films in the process. All of us from the original HKFlix are deeply indebted to you and hope you will continue to search for deserving, independent businesses (and films!) to support in the future. The Amazons, Netflixes, and multiplexes all have their place, but please don’t let them bulldoze over the entire market, at least not without a fight.

Sincerely,
Mhat Bernstein

You can reach me using the following web form:
http://www.samplehead.com/phatdrumloops/contact.asp
http://www.cityonfire.com/original-f...om-speaks-out/
Old 03-26-11, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Good letter, I hope someone is able to create a database with his backup.
Old 03-26-11, 12:21 PM
Banned

I'm just worried about getting the $106 back HKFlix burned me on. They have untill Monday to answer my e-mails then I am attempting a charge back.
Old 03-29-11, 01:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is truly sad news, as they were one of the (very) (increasingly) few DVD online retailers that I was still using. And I used to love getting email from "Michael Scott."

Another victim of These Harsh Economic Times.
Old 03-29-11, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nate the Great
This is truly sad news, as they were one of the (very) (increasingly) few DVD online retailers that I was still using. And I used to love getting email from "Michael Scott."

Another victim of These Harsh Economic Times.
I'd like to choke Michael Scott. He won't respond to my e-mails asking where my $106 order is. I initiated a CC dispute today.
Old 03-29-11, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by junglalien
I'd like to choke Michael Scott. He won't respond to my e-mails asking where my $106 order is. I initiated a CC dispute today.
Just curious, when did you place your order (ie: how many days before the site went down)? And I guess it goes without saying you used this addy:
michaelsco​[email protected]​om. Odd. The last email I got from him was on 3/16. I emailed back a few days later with the link to this thread in case he wanted to clear up the situation for us (since he's posted here in the past & has an account), but he seems to have vanished from the face of the earth.

Maybe he's hospitalized or incommunicado or something.

Don't get me wrong, I am not demeaning or criticizing your present course of action! I very much recall the credit interventions I've been forced to make. Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 03-29-11, 08:47 PM
Banned

He is alive and well because he keeps deleting any comments under his last facebook communication.
Old 03-30-11, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What can a guy that sold the company and no longer has any involvement with it do?

I stayed on for some time to aid in the transition, but eventually left the business for the new owner to run.
Old 03-30-11, 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
What can a guy that sold the company and no longer has any involvement with it do?
Mhat Bernstein sold the company. We are talking about Michael Scott.

Last edited by junglalien; 03-30-11 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-01-11, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by junglalien
Mhat Bernstein sold the company. We are talking about Michael Scott.
doh
Old 06-02-11, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Still down - just found out. I'm surprised nobody has helped him figure out hosting for the archived content yet.
Old 06-07-11, 05:13 PM

Anyone have any suggestions for comparable sites to get Hong Kong movies from?
Old 06-07-11, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Nickofdoom
Anyone have any suggestions for comparable sites to get Hong Kong movies from?
As far as US-based distributors that sell worldwide DVDs, DiabolikDVD might be your next best bet. They have lots of European & Asian stuff.
Old 06-08-11, 01:27 PM
Banned

just went up on facebook

HKFlix has some surplus inventory that we would like to sell in bulk (about 8000 DVDs / Blu-Rays, etc.....) If you or someone you know is seriously interested please contact us at: ------------- [email protected]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HKFlixcom/51184289812

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.