Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Easiest Store to Return Movies without Receipt?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Easiest Store to Return Movies without Receipt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-11, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Easiest Store to Return Movies without Receipt?

Originally Posted by DeepSleep
Thanks for sharing your experience. Just another reason why I try to steer clear of Bestbuy...
It keeps getting better. Now they flat-out refuse to provide a paid return label because the item was not sent via UPS (like that should matter) and told me to return it in-store. I told them the store wouldn't take the item back, so I needed a guarantee that they will reimburse me if I have to go to the post office and pay for return shipping. Then they tell me that is solely up to the Crediting Department and "cannot guarantee that they will reimburse you for what you paid for shipping it will only be a request and it will be up to that Department to make the final decision."

Worst service ever. This damn thing only cost $8.xx and I'm not about to be out half of that mailing it back and then losing out on shipping for a damaged item. This whole company is ass-backward.
Old 01-10-11, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
I've had my own problem returning an item after Christmas - even with proof of purchase.

I bought the Watchmen Best Buy exclusive blu-ray from their website and they would not let me return it in-store. Even with my invoice, I was denied because the item wasn't in their system any more. Since the invoice clearly states you can return online orders in-store and it's still offered on their website, I called foul and contacted corporate by phone to complain. One rep told me it was poor service on the store's part and apologized, stating as long as I had the invoice they should have refunded me. Still, she never sent the pre-paid return label she promised. I called again and another woman told me the store clerks were absolutely right in not accepting my return. Talk about conflicting information.
Joe B, I returned that exact item at my store less than two weeks ago. I ordered it online and then Amazon had the deal on the statue set so I went with that instead. I printed a duplicate receipt from my account online and used that one for the return. Hope it helps.

PS - I've been back to that store since then and they just threw it out on the shelf. I'm pretty sure they don't sell them in stores anymore though. Still has the $34.99 sticker on it and everything.
Old 01-10-11, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Joe B, I returned that exact item at my store less than two weeks ago. I ordered it online and then Amazon had the deal on the statue set so I went with that instead. I printed a duplicate receipt from my account online and used that one for the return. Hope it helps.
Well, that makes me even more upset with my experience. As I mentioned, I had my invoice and everything and they still would not take it back.

Thanks for sharing your experience - apparently my local BB is just run by a bunch of idiots.
Old 01-10-11, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joe_b
Well, that makes me even more upset with my experience. As I mentioned, I had my invoice and everything and they still would not take it back.

Thanks for sharing your experience - apparently my local BB is just run by a bunch of idiots.
Well that sucks dude. I know it's only $8 and some change but I would print out the online return policy from their site and take it in with your receipt. No store should be able to treat their customers like that.
Old 07-10-11, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to bump a dead thread, but I just had to report that Best Buy seems to be very YMMV when it comes to returns without receipt.

I tried to return the "Despicable Me" 2D Blu-ray combo pack without a receipt and was told that they couldn't be sure it was from there (good point... it didn't have the Best Buy sticker on it) or that it was purchased in the last 14 days (which I couldn't confirm) and was told that the only way I could return it was if I could get the number of the person who bought it so they could check it in the system...

If anyone has any better places, feel free to leave 'em here. I guess it's off to Wal-Mart I go... which doesn't happen very often.
Old 07-14-11, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Best Buy lost a ton of money last year on people scamming the Buy 2, Get 1 free Videogame offer. So they became very draconian on returns in January of this year, requiring IDs for all returns and other hassles.
Old 08-03-11, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it still depends on your area though. I just returned a Metropolis Blu-Ray disc that I'd lost the receipt for and they were unusually helpful...
Old 08-03-11, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by dmkb
I think it still depends on your area though. I just returned a Metropolis Blu-Ray disc that I'd lost the receipt for and they were unusually helpful...
Did you pay with a credit card or use a reward zone card though? Because if you did, that's just as good as having a reciept, because they can use either of those to look it up.
Old 04-18-14, 08:57 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Anyone have any luck with this situation lately? I have a few unopened 2013 release DVDs from Christmas that I would like to upgrade to Blu. I'm fine with taking store credit to apply towards the Blus... I figured Walmart would do this since I have had luck in the past, but not within the last few years.
Old 04-18-14, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Anyone have any luck with this situation lately? I have a few unopened 2013 release DVDs from Christmas that I would like to upgrade to Blu. I'm fine with taking store credit to apply towards the Blus... I figured Walmart would do this since I have had luck in the past, but not within the last few years.
Walmart has tightened up their return policy in the past couple of years, though it seems to be a policy that is selectively enforced. Over a certain dollar amount, they will ask for a driver's license.

They are still likely your best bet. Target and Best Buy both seem to be on the verge of banning media returns for any reason.
Old 04-18-14, 03:17 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Target and Best Buy both seem to be on the verge of banning media returns for any reason.
It's almost as if when a store has a liberal return policy, word gets out and it gets abused.
Old 04-18-14, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Haven't followed Best Buy's 'progress'. Do they now refuse to accept unopened media returns for any reason?
Old 04-18-14, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

My son was given a few DVDs in the last year (birthday/Christmas) that we already own. I'd love to take them to Walmart & get some kind of credit for them, feeling certain they came from the $5 bin. Just don't know if it's worth the hassle. I'll probably just have him gift them to others. That's probably how he got them in the first place.
Old 04-18-14, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 436 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Haven't followed Best Buy's 'progress'. Do they now refuse to accept unopened media returns for any reason?
No they still accept returns... 15 days unless you are a Elite or Elite Plus member. Target is now 30 days.
Old 04-30-14, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Without a receipt, Target does up to around $75 a year I think. Wal Mart you can still do a couple times a year without any problems. I don't think they necessary have a dollar amt threshold. You will need a valid drivers licence at both places. Best Buy is worthless, even at Christmas time. Without a receipt they will try to look up the person by phone #. If they still can't find anything, you are SOL.