Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

FYE store closings 2011

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

FYE store closings 2011

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-10, 03:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYE store closings 2011

One of the FYE's by me is closing mid January, and with some research I found others are too. Does anyone have a list of which stores will be closed by next month??

YMMV but the sales were something like 20% off blu-ray, 30% off DVD.....yet for newer releases that was STILL more expensive than best buy or walmart
Old 12-27-10, 04:23 PM

Re: FYE store closings 2011

Originally Posted by Rebelphoenix
YMMV but the sales were something like 20% off blu-ray, 30% off DVD.....yet for newer releases that was STILL more expensive than best buy or walmart

Which is exactly why they are all closing their doors.
Old 12-27-10, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I loathe FYE. They've always been way overpriced. Good riddance.
Old 12-27-10, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty sure Movie Gallery did the same thing.. Lets close,, but now our dvd's are twice as much but we'll give 30% off.

Just wait until the deals are to the prices you'll pay.
Old 12-27-10, 07:15 PM
Suspended

The Lehigh Valley is also losing some FYEs,as well as a Suncoast(both owned by Trans World Entertainment),but the chain is not folding.Also trying to get a larger list,and have queried our local newspaper,but online forums such as this,are usually way ahead and can report rumor without verification. Some may not know exactly what is going on in the store,but the big yellow and black signs,though they usually cannot actually say "Going Out of Business"(it's in the lease)mean the end is near(about six weeks). Discounts are cruddy now,since it's holiday time and money is flush;they just want to get things started,even though,yes,they're everyday prices are horrid,as you are paying mall rent for each purchase(hence the reason why they close so many and open....nothing new). But some of their used stuff may look pretty cool;just keep an eye on an online source for comparison. Example:one closing store had a 50% bin of music. The first Chicago album,CTA,was there,with a $14.98 price($7.49 after sale),which is what it used to be,but Amazon now shows it for $7.99,no discount,as the CD market collapses. But in the same bin was a two disc import of an early 1070s group,Family,for the same $14.99 and at $7.49,that was a great price.And a few months ago,I scored a Criterion (Tati's Mr. Hulot's Holiday)for $1.99,sealed,so you never know. Closing stores even received new releases as the signs were going up.Trans World has been taking those $3 Big Lot DVDs sometimes and giving almost same $ as credit and then reselling them for $7.99-$14.99,sometimes even higher(Jaws deluxe was going for $24.99). Idiots.
Old 12-27-10, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

That's pretty much how all liquidations go. Mark everything back up to full original MSRP, and then mark it 20% off or whatever. That's the problem with getting good stuff in a liquidation sale, most of the really good stuff is gone before the deals get really good because stupid people see the % off and don't know any better.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 12-28-10 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-27-10, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

/\ Amen.
Old 01-01-11, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by jimac51
The Lehigh Valley is also losing some FYEs,as well as a Suncoast(both owned by Trans World Entertainment),but the chain is not folding.Also trying to get a larger list,and have queried our local newspaper,but online forums such as this,are usually way ahead and can report rumor without verification. Some may not know exactly what is going on in the store,but the big yellow and black signs,though they usually cannot actually say "Going Out of Business"(it's in the lease)mean the end is near(about six weeks). Discounts are cruddy now,since it's holiday time and money is flush;they just want to get things started,even though,yes,they're everyday prices are horrid,as you are paying mall rent for each purchase(hence the reason why they close so many and open....nothing new). But some of their used stuff may look pretty cool;just keep an eye on an online source for comparison. Examplene closing store had a 50% bin of music. The first Chicago album,CTA,was there,with a $14.98 price($7.49 after sale),which is what it used to be,but Amazon now shows it for $7.99,no discount,as the CD market collapses. But in the same bin was a two disc import of an early 1070s group,Family,for the same $14.99 and at $7.49,that was a great price.And a few months ago,I scored a Criterion (Tati's Mr. Hulot's Holiday)for $1.99,sealed,so you never know. Closing stores even received new releases as the signs were going up.Trans World has been taking those $3 Big Lot DVDs sometimes and giving almost same $ as credit and then reselling them for $7.99-$14.99,sometimes even higher(Jaws deluxe was going for $24.99). Idiots.
Yeah, I just heard about the Suncoast closure in the Lehigh Valley Mall. I don't buy movies there usually, but I love the other items that they carry like the magazines (I can always find the Supernatural magazine there if they don't have it at Barnes and Noble) and the Nightmare Before Christmas stuff. Suncoast was always a stop on our list of stores we always go in at the LVM, so I'm sad to see it go.
Old 01-01-11, 07:23 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthVong
I loathe FYE. They've always been way overpriced. Good riddance.
I agree wholeheartedly, but all they had to do to become a major player was lower their damned prices and they could never see that. Dipshits priced themselves right out of business. -kd5-
Old 01-01-11, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Don't forget, that many, if not most, of the stores are in Malls... and Malls have high rent... Not making an excuse for them, just saying.. and btw.. I have not shopped with them in quite some time... I do appreciate getting store credit and such for selling back stuff from my collection, but then it is so hard to find something to buy with the ridiculous new item prices.. so once the used item stock dried up, I had a hard time using my credit..
Old 01-04-11, 06:40 PM
Banned

So the two stores by me on Long Island (Elmont & New Hyde Park) are up to 40% off on DVD titles and 25% off blu-ray.

i think the 40% is great off stuff I saw like the new DVD version of Metropolis (normally $24.99) and alot of the SHOUT!Factory Roger Corman stuff can be had for a great discount.

any one know of other closing stores?
Old 01-05-11, 10:41 AM

Only had 5 minutes to spent @ the soon to be closing Arizona Mills mall FYE last night, but I found one new DVD (Legend of the Seeker S1), which was priced @ $39.99, scanned @ $29.99 and with 40% off got it down to $17.99. Great price for something never released in Canada.
Old 01-05-11, 08:06 PM
Banned

FYE is way overpriced, usually a DVD costs $35 at FYE but at other stores or online, it costs $20 or less, it is retarded
Old 01-15-11, 04:00 AM
Suspended

The 40% is going on here right now. Had a copy of the Harry Nilsson documentary but,sure enough,Amazon is cheaper right now. There was a guy similar to the Simpson's Comic Book Guy with a printed list going through the docs.I know I'm not far from that,but he looked pretty pathetic,sprawled out on the floor checking want lists.Picked up a used "Gandi" for $5,and at the local FYE,their GOB had a West Wing S3 for 8 bucks.Passed on a mono Beatles box 1/2 off(legitimate @ $150,but I gotta pay Christmas bills).Cheap stuff in bins as you enter store. Lots of no real values to be had,yet.Still wonder why used and new carry the same discount as they have better margins in the used(bought it for a buck,sold it for 8)and what's left in the used bins just goes back to the warehouse and redistributed to another future closing.
Old 01-15-11, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I spend a lot at FYE. They seem to always have deals on Blu-ray catalog titles and my local store has great deals on used. New releases are always high but they price match ads so I can get any advertised new release for 10% less than the lowest advertised price thanks to the BSP.
Old 01-16-11, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by jwstl
I spend a lot at FYE. They seem to always have deals on Blu-ray catalog titles and my local store has great deals on used. New releases are always high but they price match ads so I can get any advertised new release for 10% less than the lowest advertised price thanks to the BSP.
I'm not sure what you might classify as a 'deal' on used, but even their used prices are pretty terrible.
Old 01-23-11, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Last two days for the FYE in Huntington Beach on Beach Blvd, a few blocks from the now defunct DVD Planet store.
Old 01-23-11, 04:25 AM

What do you mean defunct? It's still around/open.
Old 01-23-11, 11:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
I'm not sure what you might classify as a 'deal' on used, but even their used prices are pretty terrible.
I agree, I've noticed many a times that the used prices are the same as the new ones. But occasionally, you may be able to find an exclusive used DVD for less than a brand new one (non-exclusive). Also, I remember getting a bunch at their Buy 2 Get 2 Free sales , sure the prices were high but when you average them out it was cheaper than a lot of places. OF course I don't remember the last time I've been at F.Y.E. so I don't know if they ever have those sales anymore.
Old 01-23-11, 11:43 AM
Zbu

Originally Posted by kd5
I agree wholeheartedly, but all they had to do to become a major player was lower their damned prices and they could never see that. Dipshits priced themselves right out of business. -kd5-
That's the story of Borders and every other single business that tried to go into DVDs and thought they could pull VHS-styled pricing with it. Who the hell really pays MSRP anymore?
Old 01-28-11, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Last two days for the FYE in Huntington Beach on Beach Blvd, a few blocks from the now defunct DVD Planet store.
It's sad to see that one go. They had a lot of hard-to-find and OOP dvds. More than the one in Fullerton.
Old 01-29-11, 06:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in northern NJ - and there are 4 area stores closing that I know of (store employees are very evasive when asked which other stores are liquidating):
  • Rt.4 PARAMUS (final day unknown)
  • PALISADE CENTER NY (final day was supposedly 1/28)
  • RT 22 UNION (supposedly closed already)
  • ROCKAWAY MALL (final day was supposedly 1/28)
I'd appreciate any updates on these and other local store liquidations, if anybody has any.

I actually grabbed some good deals at these stores, including:
Soylent Green DVD $4.49
Slade In Flame DVD $1.19
Take That The Circus import CD $5.99
Robbie Williams Rudebox CD $1.50
Elton John The Captain & The Kid CD $1.50
Pretenders Pirate Radio CD/DVD box set $20.99
Old 01-30-11, 02:28 AM
Banned

FYE is closing? Good!! Hope BORDERS is next. They both suck!
Old 01-30-11, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

At Borders I can drink tea and read English magazines. As long as I can do those two things, I don't care if they become the "Twilight and Celebrity Biography" store.
Old 01-30-11, 12:13 PM
Banned

Their prices may be higher than other B&M stores but they also have a wider range of titles than others. Can't say I've ever been in a Borders store though, we have more Barnes & Noble booksellers around here.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.