Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Is Deep Discount DVD still reliable?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Is Deep Discount DVD still reliable?

Old 12-29-10, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Is Deep Discount DVD still reliable?

I also noticed they are charging me sales tax now. That compounded by the super long ship times, it looks like I'm going from "rarely" shopping there to "never".
Old 12-30-10, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
There was an etailer that shut down just before DD appeared. I think it was Dvd Wave?

they went out of business and many people lost a lot of money, they charged before shipping.

Anyway some thought thought that DD was Wave returned.

Anybody remember that?
Yes, I do remember. Geez, this is going back a long way.

Reminds me of my first DVD player...a gift that my girlfriend ordered from 800.com, another internet blast from the past.
Old 01-03-11, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I placed 2 orders in early September, about a week apart and while I did get the orders, I didn't receive them until early December. So about 3 months of waiting. During this time, they went from shipping normally to shipping from the manufacturer/distributor (something like that, anyway). It also went from out of stock to in stock with the change. I did order knowing that it might be a while, but in the past, out of stock items have shipped quickly, within weeks, not months and I was didn't need the DVDs for anyone but myself.

My guess? They waited as long as they could before sending, hoping I'd cancel the order so they wouldn't have to honor the sale price on either order. For me, the deals were good enough and on items I could wait for, that I didn't feel like canceling the order. If I got them, I got them. If I didn't, I didn't.

I was a frequent buyer from Deep Discount. Maybe not hundreds of dollars every month, but I'd say hundreds over the course of the year. After this last order, I probably won't be buying from them again. It'd have to be a dang good sale for me to bother. If they don't want to ship me what I bought, then why should I want to shop with them?
Old 01-04-11, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by LJG765
My guess? They waited as long as they could before sending, hoping I'd cancel the order so they wouldn't have to honor the sale price on either order. For me, the deals were good enough and on items I could wait for, that I didn't feel like canceling the order. If I got them, I got them. If I didn't, I didn't.
Actually I really doubt you could of 'CANCELed' your order if you wanted to. They don't guarantee you will be allowed to cancel any orders.

At least thats what they told me when they refused to ship an order of mine.
The minute I wanted to canceled it... 'oh its being prepeared to ship so you can't cancel it!'
Old 01-04-11, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

I tried to cancel an item last night. The conversation went like this:

Me: I'd like to cancel one of my open orders. The order number is XXXXX.
CS: That order has been forwarded to our fulfillment center.
Me: So, it's about to be shipped?
CS: Uh, um... I don't think so. It's just... hmm...
Me: Can it be canceled?
CS: Do you really want it canceled?
Me: If possible, yes - that is why I called.
CS: [Audible sigh] Hold on.
[On hold for 20 minutes]
CS: Okay, I talked to the guy (?) and we have canceled that for you.

The next day, I get a e-mail stating the item in question is discontinued and they apologize for not being able to ship it. I have no idea if this was related to my conversation last night, but they made no mention of my cancellation request. I think I'm done with this company - I've called in the past and gotten through fine, but I was on hold for 40 minutes only to be disconnected. During my next attempt, it took almost as long to get someone on the phone.
Old 01-04-11, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Calmuser
Actually I really doubt you could of 'CANCELed' your order if you wanted to. They don't guarantee you will be allowed to cancel any orders.'
They actually sent me two emails (per order) throughout that time asking if I wanted to cancel the order or saying I could wait. When I went to the account and checked on the orders, canceling them was an option as well. Would it have been easy to do? I don't know, but they definitely gave me that option and while they didn't say "cancel or else!" they really made it seem like that's what they wanted me to do.
Old 01-06-11, 11:34 AM

Not sure if anyone has come across it yet but any order under $15 at DD will no longer qualify for free shipping. Freight is $3.99 for the 1st item, $.99 each additional item.
Old 01-06-11, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
There was an etailer that shut down just before DD appeared. I think it was Dvd Wave?

they went out of business and many people lost a lot of money, they charged before shipping.

Anyway some thought thought that DD was Wave returned.

Anybody remember that?
Actually it was CD Universe that bought out DVD Wave. Yes, DVD Wave WAS a nightmare. I had a lot of problems with them. And CD Universe lost my credit card as well when their site got broken in to. They may have gotten better over the years, but I avoid them still. I do like the simplicity of not getting billed for shipping.

I have had problems with Deep Discount recently too though. I think their inventory system on backordered orders is a little messed up. Twice I noticed that when I ordered a shelf unit (that is fulfilled from another vendor and had been delayed recently when they had a factory fire) that that shipment getting delayed also affected delivery of my backordered DVDs on the same order as well. It was weird that in both cases when my shelf unit finally shipped, all of a sudden those backordered dvds would ship out. In one case, CS had made a separate order with the backordered DVDs and they got shipped promptly then, and therefore I got a duplicate shipment of the original order when my shelf unit shipped. I told them that I think there was a bug some place that forced that sort of dependency, but not sure whether they've really followed through on that, as I had another case of that happening later too.

Perhaps if you ordered books or some other items with DVDs they might hold these up in the same way. Probably best to just order DVDs in a single order to prevent those sort of delays.
Old 01-11-11, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

That's weird. I submitted a Cancellation request via the website for an item that had been backordered for a month. I received an e-mail confirmation within a couple hours that my cancellation had been processed and completed.
Old 01-11-11, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I pre-ordered the Shrek collection on blu-ray for $30.36 from DD. It took a few weeks after its release, but eventually I received it at that price.
Old 01-19-11, 05:13 AM

Looks like everything is at retail price now with very few discounts anymore.

And international shipping has gone up too.

Lost another customer DDD.
Old 01-19-11, 07:40 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by worrywort
Makano - 6 Super Hits

Wow, that looks like Natalie Portman with a haircut and sunglasses on... -kd5-
Old 01-19-11, 07:55 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

You guys have a lot more patience than I do. I waited a little over 3 weeks for a back-ordered Rose Red to get shipped, in the meantime I found it for cheaper elsewhere and cancelled my Deep Discount order. On the other hand I ordered A Haunting: Seasons 1 to 4 and had it only a few days later. However, every time I get an email from Deep Discount advertising a sale, their so-called sale prices on anything I might want suck. They haven't had an exciting sale for some time now, they've raised prices on their regular stock DVDs, it now appears they've changed their free shipping criteria, you never know if you're going to get your order quickly or if you're going to end up waiting for lord knows how long, unless they have an outrageous sale (which doesn't appear to be happening any time soon) I have no incentive to order from them and plenty of incentive not to. -kd5-
Old 01-19-11, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bob00
Looks like everything is at retail price now with very few discounts anymore.

Lost another customer DDD.
I noticed that too. Hopefully it's a glitch with their site but of course they never have those.
Old 01-28-11, 02:10 PM

My most recent order with DD (2 tv seasons for price of one) arrived in less than a week in good shape. So DD service seems fine. The overall high prices, though, continue to be nonstarters. Gotta think their gross sales have shrunk considerably. Are there enough people who will pay these prices?
Old 01-28-11, 03:14 PM
Banned

I don't know why people are still ordering from them. You are just asking for trouble if you do.
Old 01-29-11, 05:04 PM
Zbu

Originally Posted by pbishop69
I don't know why people are still ordering from them. You are just asking for trouble if you do.
Pretty much this. I preordered Dark Skies: The Complete Series from them a few months ago because it was cheap as hell ($17.46). The set was released on the 17th of this month. A few minutes ago I got a cancellation notice for the set, saying it was now out of print and whatever lie they use because they don't pay distributors anymore.

Truth be told, the store has been going downhill for a while. That order was probably the first one I placed in a while and now the store is just shit. Even if they have a good deal, chances are you will never get your item. Just go to Amazon and go from there. Deepdiscount is dead.
Old 02-03-11, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It looks like DD is owning up to their shitty service as of late. I just received this email today...

Dear Customer,

We have noticed that you have not purchased from DeepDiscount.com recently. We know why.

As you may not be aware, DeepDiscount.com was purchased by Super D, one of the leading entertainment media distributors in the world. Super D has added its immense selection of DVDs, Blu-ray, CDs, Vinyl and Video Games to DeepDiscount.com. This world’s best selection, along with our 20 year history of extraordinary customer service and state of the art systems will again make DeepDiscount.com one of the premier shopping sites online.

There have been many changes over the past 90 days to DeepDiscount.com, including:

• Faster Shipping. We have changed our everyday shipping method to get you products much faster than we have in the past. We have also changed our rates on Next Day, Second Day and Expedited Shipping to give you more shipping options at great prices.

• Order Tracking. All of our orders, including our popular Free Shipping option, now have tracking information available. Tracking information is now sent with your order confirmation email.

• More Product In Stock. We have more than tripled the amount of products that are in stock and ready to ship today. We have hundreds of thousands of items across all categories ready for orders.

• Site Improvements. We are continually updating DeepDiscount.com to make your shopping experience faster, easier and more enjoyable.

• Pricing. We continue to give you the lowest possible prices on all items, including the very popular Daily Deep Deal.

We would like you to give us another chance. DeepDiscount.com is offering you
$10 OFF your next purchase. There is no minimum order.
Just enter the promo code xxxxxx at check out. We know that you will be satisfied.

Sincerely,

Tim Hinsley
General Manager, DeepDiscount.com
Check your email. You may have a $10 credit waiting for you.
Old 02-03-11, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

^No email... but I have to laugh at that claim on pricing! The prices are at least 10% higher with the new owners. I have many examples of items that were regularly 40% lower than the MSRP that are now only 10% under. Overall the prices have gone up about 20% or more on *everything* in my wishlist. I looked up a title today for comparison and they are selling it for more than the MSRP as listed at amazon!

However, if they want to give me a $10 "credit" with no minimum I'll spend it!
Old 02-04-11, 04:15 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

I'm trying to buy a DVD but its saying shipping is $.99 Is it no longer free?
Old 02-06-11, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

I bought during the November sale and received all my stuff. So, no complaints here, other than the highly deceptive, sneaky practice of raising prices just before a sale. It still emerges cheaper than anywhere else.
Old 02-08-11, 08:53 AM

"• Pricing. We continue to give you the lowest possible prices on all items, including the very popular Daily Deep Deal."

Recent DD "sales" that's I've browsed have for the most part featured prices that are anything but deals. That's why in the last six months I've ordered from DD only twice ($16 & $17). Two years ago I was ordering every few weeks. If these are the "lowest possible prices" DD can offer, then they're in for challenging times.
Old 02-08-11, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"We have more than tripled the amount of products that are in stock and ready to ship today. "

What's three times zero inventory?

EDIT: Despite my bitchy comment, I'd be more than happy for them to become a quality seller again. Competition is good for everyone, and it's always nice to have options...
Old 02-13-11, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
I'm trying to buy a DVD but its saying shipping is $.99 Is it no longer free?
They instituted a new policy at the beginning of the year:

"Standard Delivery is FREE with a minimum purchase of $15.00 or 99 cents per unit on orders of $15.00 or less."
Old 02-15-11, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still compare prices at DD but haven't placed an order with them since September 2010. They used to be my main buying source but now Amazon has most of my business. I think the $15 limit to get free shipping is reasonable if it helps contain costs. That alone would not prevent me from shopping with them. The reason I don't buy from them is they don't tend to lead on price any longer and the wait times for my orders became to ridiculous. Their level of service declined horribly over the past year. They could easily win back my patronage with competitve pricing and sales and if my fellow DVDTalkers began to report positive experiences with them again.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.