Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Is Deep Discount DVD still reliable?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Is Deep Discount DVD still reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-12, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts
Re: Is Deep Discount DVD still reliable?

That's strange. I never get e-mails from them. And whenever anyone talks about receiving a $5 coupon code from them, I'm always envious.
Old 05-02-12, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the help, guys...I have checked their e-mails as "spam" before but it didn't help. I was able to look up a way to create a filer through G-Mail to automatically delete such messages, so perhaps I'm in the clear.
Old 05-02-12, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

I haven't been able to unsubscribe either. I e-mailed nbach. I hope that works. I also let him/her know that they're in violation of the CAN-SPAM Act for not having a functioning unsubscribe mechanism.
Old 05-04-12, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

Received a response from DD:

Todd - we recently fixed a problem [with the unsubscribe mechanism] so all should be working well now, thanks. I'll make sure you're taken off the list.
So, if you tried to unsubscribe before, maybe try again.
Old 05-06-12, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It just now occurred to me, but I haven't made an order from DD in nearly six months. There were a couple of good deals around the holidays. I get their ads regularly and have spent time going through scores of pages of offerings. But nothing, at least related to my taste and budget. DD was such a great online merchant. Sadly, not any more. Just an also-ran.
Old 05-07-12, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I believe my last order was a few years ago, prices are nothing amazing even with the big sales.
Old 06-11-12, 12:01 PM

Anyone confused by DD's tracking numbers? I was. I found out they use DHL Global to USPS. Here is where you can track your packages:

http://webtrack.dhlglobalmail.com/
Old 07-17-12, 02:15 PM

Is anyone else having trouble making an order? I'm trying to make a 20-item order using one of the 10% off coupons and the site always times out during the checkout process.

It's as if DD is doing everything possible to NOT get my business.
Old 07-17-12, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

^ Yeah, same issue here. Was trying to pre-order Brave with the 10% off coupon and the site timed out. I closed the window and re-opened the site. Checked my account and the order did go through, but the coupon got removed.

I sent them an e-mail and they told me they would refund the discount after the order ships. Do they really expect me to believe that the 10% will be automatically credited back in 4-5 months without me having to make a follow-up request?
Old 07-20-12, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tried four or five times to place an order with Brave (two disc version) and several Kino blus with the 10% discount, different browsers, clearing cache, etc., still was unsuccessful, with various web page errors reported. Tried again this morning from work (just have IE though) and got similar results. Noticed that Brave has gone from $13.99 to over $30 As usual with deepdiscount, I'm frequently being prompted to log in multiple times to get anything to work, and this is with all browsers. Still would like to place the order for the others (I'm a masochist ), as they are a bit less (with the 10%) than on importcds.com.

Why doesn't importcds.com just liquidate this flop of a site? Their site works fine, has a much better search engine, and just seems more stable.

Ah, the old days. I would spend several thousand dollars a year on deepdiscount. Now a year's spending can be measured in the tens. Seems like a thousand years ago.
Old 08-15-12, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Last night I was placing an order and in the middle of completing it (after submitting the order) my browser crashed. I received the email receipt from Paypal (my checkout method) that I submitted an order to DD and the amount it was for. It shows up in my Paypal account as pending but I never got to the confirmation screen on DD and never received an email receipt from them. I just called them up and they say it didn't go through with them as it doesn't show up in my account and the pending Paypal will just fall off. Does that sound right? I hate dealing with DD customer service.

edit to add- I didn't want to leave it up to DD's customer service so I called up paypal to and they said they'll put a void on last night's charge. Hopefully that takes care of it.

Last edited by SethDLH; 08-15-12 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-19-12, 12:59 PM

I've ordered from DD once since last Nov., for $24. I have to admit I rarely even look at their e mails anymore. I never say never, but DD ain't much of a source anymore. It and Blockbuster used to be so big, now they're both eeny teeny tiny iddo DVD/Blu ray sources.
Old 08-21-12, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Last night I was placing an order and in the middle of completing it (after submitting the order) my browser crashed. I received the email receipt from Paypal (my checkout method) that I submitted an order to DD and the amount it was for. It shows up in my Paypal account as pending but I never got to the confirmation screen on DD and never received an email receipt from them. I just called them up and they say it didn't go through with them as it doesn't show up in my account and the pending Paypal will just fall off. Does that sound right? I hate dealing with DD customer service.

edit to add- I didn't want to leave it up to DD's customer service so I called up paypal to and they said they'll put a void on last night's charge. Hopefully that takes care of it.
You should have waited a day or two. Sometimes it takes a day or more for me to get an order confirmation from them.
Old 08-22-12, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
You should have waited a day or two. Sometimes it takes a day or more for me to get an order confirmation from them.
With the crash in the middle of the order I'd rather just get it straight one way or another which it did. The disc I ordered arrived today, which was at least a day or 2 earlier than expected. The packaging sucked as it usually does from DD but it was unharmed. Still a company I'll deal with when I see a good deal.
Old 08-23-12, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I pre-ordered a couple of blus from them a few days before release date. Apparently that was too late, as they are now back-ordered. No sort of notification from DD informing me of this, of course. I should have just spent the few extra bucks and gone with Amazon like I usually do.
Old 10-16-12, 02:06 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Just got an email stating that effective October 19th (3 days from now), Deep Discount's free shipping will only apply to orders of $25 or more...

-kd5-
Old 10-31-12, 06:45 PM

Any idea if DeepDiscount will have a 25% off sale in November? I think they had one last year at this time.

Last edited by adam_omega; 10-31-12 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-01-12, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by adam_omega
Any idea if DeepDiscount will have a 25% off sale in November? I think they had one last year at this time.
It's actually going on right now. Like the recent 25% sales, it's not good on everything. If something is included, it will have a red 25% off tag next to it. The code is 25MORE.
Old 11-02-12, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

They're definitely not reliable for deep discounts anymore.
Old 12-12-12, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is anyone still using dvdplanet? They're owned by the same company, so I'm wondering if you can expect pretty much the same service from either dd or planet?

If Amazon doesn't drop the price on Liberal Arts by Tuesday, I see dvdplanet has it for under $20 with standard shipping. I can wait a week to get it, but I want it badly enough to not want to wait for a price drop.

If you don't expect much, deepdiscount is okay and okay will do to get Liberal Arts for under $20. If planet is even worse, than I might go over $20 and get it from dd.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-13, 09:42 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Got a $5 (Wish List) coupon to use at DD, went there to peruse, decided to use it for (Steven Spielberg's) Taken or maybe The Invaders S1/S2 combo (Roy Thinnes), discovered that DD is apparently charging "overweight" shipping on these items. So, screw the free shipping with a $25 order, we're going to charge shipping anyway if the item weighs more than a DVD.

WTF!!!...

Edit: Just got done talking to a DD CSR, she told me she put Taken in a cart and it didn't charge extra shipping. OK, so why does it say it will incur extra shipping on the item page??? Jeez, what a site.

Edit #2: Just went to put Taken in my cart (a $35 item) and sure enough they want to charge $2.99 extra shipping on this miniseries. Fucking bunch of stupid motherfuckers at Deep Discount.

Last edited by kd5; 03-02-13 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-04-13, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by kd5
Got a $5 (Wish List) coupon to use at DD, went there to peruse, decided to use it for (Steven Spielberg's) Taken or maybe The Invaders S1/S2 combo (Roy Thinnes), discovered that DD is apparently charging "overweight" shipping on these items. So, screw the free shipping with a $25 order, we're going to charge shipping anyway if the item weighs more than a DVD.

WTF!!!...

Edit: Just got done talking to a DD CSR, she told me she put Taken in a cart and it didn't charge extra shipping. OK, so why does it say it will incur extra shipping on the item page??? Jeez, what a site.

Edit #2: Just went to put Taken in my cart (a $35 item) and sure enough they want to charge $2.99 extra shipping on this miniseries. Fucking bunch of stupid motherfuckers at Deep Discount.
I absolutely don't understand why companies that can ship media mail are so anal about the shipping. The damn thing won't cost more than .80 more to ship a lb. media mail than a DVD first class. I can understand if the PO got rid of media mail, but they haven't ... yet. It is one reason I don't buy much from oldies. They act like they are losing a ton on shipping and rarely give free shipping. Columbia House is the same way. 3.99 to ship 1 DVD, cut 6.99 to ship a set?

For the first time, I will no longer defend DD. They really are going downhill.
Old 03-04-13, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Deep Discount will just do a half assed packing job anyway. Charge extra and just throw it in a box without padding or one of those sticky carboard envelopes.
Old 03-05-13, 11:13 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

After getting absolutely nowhere with Deep Discount's CS via phone & email, and after checking to find they've just jacked the price up on both Taken and The Invaders, I think I've finally reached my breaking point with them.

I used to buy from Deep Discount, now I'm of the opinion they're worthless as an online retailer, and a bunch of assholes to deal with.
Old 03-10-13, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I had a horrible experience in January with them. I wanted to get in on the sale price for ST:TOS BR and placed the order. Somehow there's a known glitch where the order doesn't process but it's in the system so it looks like it's there. Well, they wouldn't honor the sale price even though I had several people admit it was a known glitch/error on their part. Finally, I went to their Facebook page and basically shamed them into actually honoring the price. At this point, it's 2-3 weeks after it was supposed to ship (I contacted them within 5 days of ordering as I was paying attention to the order, plus, I knew that they had put a hold on the money on my credit card so wanted to make sure I wasn't charged incorrectly) and went out of stock. I eventually did get it, but that is the last order I will ever place with them.

To add insult to injury-you can't delete your own account. You have to ask them to delete the information. You can't remove any information without putting something else in its place. Totally bogus-at the very least you should be able to delete your own account.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.