Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Barnes & Noble (likely) to close stores in 2010

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Barnes & Noble (likely) to close stores in 2010

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-10, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Barnes & Noble (likely) to close stores in 2010

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Of course, Amazon isn't much better. I'll receive books that are carelessly tossed into a box and arrive at my house with the shit beat out of them.
If I receive books in a box from Amazon, they are always stretch-wrapped in plastic.
Old 01-28-10, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

That pisses me off to no end, too. I've seen people sitting in the coffee shop area of bookstores spilling coffee on books, dropping muffin crumbs between the pages... it's fucking gross.

And I want to bitch slap people I see sitting in the big lounge chairs reading books, and breaking the spines and creasing up the dust jackets in the process.
Yea, I'm not too sure what goes through some customers minds when this stuff happens.

I've always just attributed it to not working Retail and not realizing how much work it takes to keep a store looking clean.

Hell, I'm all for browsing and reading a little bit from a book before purchasing it, but you have countless customers who literally set up shop in a Bookstore's Cafe. Not only that but they bring a stack of Magazine's comparable to their own height, drink their $1.19 coffee, read all the Magazine and leave the stack there for someone to clean up later. I just think it's immature and extremely inconsiderate.

A B&N about 35 minutes from my place doesn't have ANY chairs on their bottom floor and the ones on the top floor are only in the Kids section and the Starbucks section. What does that mean? Well, the store looked immaculate, it was clean because no one could "camp out" and leave book anonymously everywhere.

Bookstores are the new libraries, just without the level of quiet and respect
Old 01-28-10, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a former bookstore employee I can say with complete confidence that the employees hate those chairs more than anyone else. I was in charge of maintaining the magazine department for a while. Fridays were the worst because the weekly mags came in. It wasn't the Time Magazine, or Newsweek that people were standing around for...it was the fucking celebrity gossip magazines. This horrible woman complained to my manager that I wasn't putting them out fast enough. She never bought more than a cup of coffee, and her husband would stock up on history and business books, they would sit in the cafe for hours and would leave it all there to be put away. Plus those chairs are dirty, the stores (at least mine) didn't clean them, people would sleep in them, eat, and who knows what else...disgusting.
Old 01-28-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainet
I'm sort of torn about the whole book shopping experience these days at barnes & noble. I remember back in the 80's. There was no couches or starbucks. They didn't even like it if you stayed too long at the magazine rack. However at least you knew that just about any book you buy is brand new.
While now if you buy a book, you have to check it throughly to make sure there isn't any coffee stains or dirt from people reading the book for hours. However obviously it's nice to be able to browse everything at your own pace. So it's a catch-22 in my book. (no pun intended)
I thought someone here said that it helps them sell coffee?

But I agree. I used to buy manga from places like Waldenbooks, since they occasionally had some deals. But now there are kids all over the manga aisle, sitting on the floor reading piles of manga... even if they don't spill anything in it, the books are still used.
Old 01-29-10, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unlike Waldenbooks, generally B&N has an internet coupon or two floating around which can make their prices competitive with Amazon, as far as hardcovers go, when combined with their card.

Or better. I got a new release hardcover once a few years back for ~$10.50 - 20% off new bestseller hardcovers, 10% with card, and I think a 30% coupon. Pretty rare combo though.

Their paperback prices are pretty much on par with Amazon, I find. I'm a cheap bastard though, so I'm willing to wait 2 days to get a book in the mail from Amazon and save $.80 in taxes or whatever.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 01-29-10 at 01:52 AM.
Old 02-15-10, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is there a reason why Barnes & Noble and Borders charges so much for dvds?
Old 02-15-10, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Yes
Old 02-15-10, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

because they don't make much money on other things. probably one of their most profitable items in the store.
Old 02-15-10, 10:47 AM

They have staff (both headquarters and store staff) to pay, lease charges for the stores, finance costs for building the stores or modifying them, investor payout, etc. etc. Unfortunately, because younger folks don't read as much as older generations and older folks don't read as much because their eyesight is going - this puts book retailers into a bit of a pickle. Thus they survive by depending on a certain portion of their customers not being value shoppers. The kind that say: "I want it now, I don't want to wait for the best price or having someone ship it to me or 'my sister would love that book, I'll surprise her with it' sort of stuff. Unfortunately, those people are not as big a block as they were in the past. It's not fun for people to tell them how they overpaid for an item, wasted their time when they could have had it delivered for free or someone tell them they could have saved 40 percent with a coupon.

Both fortunately and unfortunately, the large store brick and mortal approach to both books, music, and DVDs is coming to an end. Just no way that holding physical inventory and store overhead can compete with digital delivery of the same products. It's not going to happen overnight, but it will happen. Meanwhile as sales revenue dwindle, what they need to get on an individual sale needs to stay high.
Old 02-15-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't bought a new book in years. My local used DVD/CD/VHS/GAME/BOOK store has everything I need and MUCH more than Barnes & Noble ever has. Plus I can get what i want at a fraction of what new costs. Just picked up "What TO Expect When You Are Expecting" for $6.00 in NEW condition from the used store. The same book would have cost me $14 plus tax from B&N. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

And that is a one of the major reasons why B&N is failing. People are becoming smarter about their money now that the economy is down and people are losing their jobs. Not as much expendable cash floating around.

Funny though that they JUST built a B&N locally and it was just opened about a year ago. Seems kind of odd that they are losing money quarter after quarter but then they build a new store and close others???? Very odd business model.
Old 02-15-10, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy
And when that becomes the ONLY method of obtaining/viewing new product, I'll bite. But until then, I'll stick with disc-based media, all the way to the bitter end.

To paraphrase: "You can take my DVDs when you can pry them from my cold, dead hands." And you can take that to the bank.
Each to his own, but you'll have less money in the bank as you will be paying more for packaged media. Of course, someone can always convert movies to disc once digitally delivered.
Old 09-11-10, 12:23 AM

I don't understand what everyone is talking about.
Online Prices verses a Brick and Mortar store can not match and anyone expecting them too doesn’t know what they are talking about.
It costs more for BN to have a store front. To staff that store front to rent/buy that space. If BN has over 600 stores Nationwide than they are spending 600 times more to serve you than the Online store.
It only makes since that a book in your hand in your local store would cost slightly more for the privilege of having it today. It isn't some insane conspiracy to cheat you it simply costs more for that type of business. If everyone insists on saving that very little bit extra you pay for the brick and mortar stores than get ready, you are causing them to go under.
Yes the business is changing and you are the reason.
Ebooks may be the direction that things are going but remember 600 stores employ 1000's of people!
Old 09-11-10, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by whatRUtalkinbou
Yes the business is changing and you are the reason.
Ebooks may be the direction that things are going but remember 600 stores employ 1000's of people!
I would posit that this is a microcosm of our economy as a whole. Over the last decade, we've adjusted our buying habits and pared down to better deals on the things we still buy, cheaper alternatives to the ones we've abandoned and while we're still a materialistic society at large, we've sort of broken some of our excessive habits.

Unfortunately, what makes for a more sensible consumer also makes for a frustrated capitalist. Is it fair to ask people to continue supporting a business model purely to preserve the employment of other people? I don't mean to be glib here, and I realize this is a bit reductionist of me, but it speaks to the heart of the matter. Consumers can only make choices from the options before them; I would suggest that the onus is on those who have the capital to adjust their business models to join the 21st Century. But this is certainly a complex issue with no easy answers.

Incidentally, welcome to the forum! (And you meant "sense," not "since.")
Old 09-13-10, 02:45 PM

I wonder if anyone has information about actual or potential individual store closings. I shop at the San Francisco store. While no employee would say and I don't know the details of their lease, I got the feeling, talking to employees, that B & N is thinking about closing that outlet. Any comments?
Old 09-15-10, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Unfortunately, what makes for a more sensible consumer also makes for a frustrated capitalist. Is it fair to ask people to continue supporting a business model purely to preserve the employment of other people? I don't mean to be glib here, and I realize this is a bit reductionist of me, but it speaks to the heart of the matter. Consumers can only make choices from the options before them; I would suggest that the onus is on those who have the capital to adjust their business models to join the 21st Century. But this is certainly a complex issue with no easy answers.
I would add that the cost of things like books (and CDs/DVDs, for that matter) are too high. When you have hardcover books with cover prices at $30, CDs for $18, etc., the publishers are pushing consumers to bargain shop online.

Books have stopped being impulse purchases for a long time now. Used to be that mass market paperbacks cost about five dollars. Now you're looking at $8-$10 for the same format. And even those are being phased out in favor of trade paperbacks that average about $15.
Old 09-15-10, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Having just been in a Barnes & noble today for the first time in years, I can see why they might be closing stores. Prices were just ridiculous.
Old 09-15-10, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would add that the cost of things like books (and CDs/DVDs, for that matter) are too high. When you have hardcover books with cover prices at $30, CDs for $18, etc., the publishers are pushing consumers to bargain shop online.

Books have stopped being impulse purchases for a long time now. Used to be that mass market paperbacks cost about five dollars. Now you're looking at $8-$10 for the same format. And even those are being phased out in favor of trade paperbacks that average about $15.
Now they are being phased out by the Kindle.
Old 09-15-10, 06:21 PM
Political Exile

So with four months left in 2010, how many stores have closed?
Old 09-15-10, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Philzilla
So with four months left in 2010, how many stores have closed?
I don't think any have. If none have been announced yet, I doubt we'll see any in 2010, as we enter retail's historically best quarter.

....and for the record, their DVD/Blu-ray prices are atrocious! (Semi-annual Criterion sale excluded)
Old 03-03-11, 04:57 AM

I get the sense B&N is hurting, since they cut hours at all stores in either 2009 or 2010, so that the latest time any of them stays open is only till 10pm. Not to mention, they closed the store on Diversey Ave. west of Clark and Broadway, and they still build expanded stores(i.e. relocating the downtown Evanston store to a bigger location, kitty corner away from the former location, which was divided into several stores, including Andy's Custard)

Funny and cool to think that former B&N on Diversey is about to become a Trader Joe's!
Old 05-19-11, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-b...barnes-noble-/

Breaking: Liberty Media Offers Nearly $1 Billion For Barnes & Noble

Bankrupt Borders needs a sale the most but Barnes & Noble (NYSE: BKS), which put itself in play last August, is the book retailer with a serious suitor—and they don’t come much more serious than John Malone. The company’s board announced late Thursday afternoon that Liberty Media (NSDQ: LINTA) has offered $17 a share, roughly $980 million, for the chain. The bid represents a 20.4 percent premium over today’s closing price of $14.11; the stock is up sharply after hours on the news—up 18.5 percent to $16.73.

This isn’t a slam dunk. In addition to the usual regulatory approval, according to the board’s statement, the proposal states that any deal “is contingent on the participation of founding chairman Leonard Riggio, both in terms of his continuing equity ownership and his continuing role in management.” At this point, the proposal has yet to be reviewed by the special board committee formed to vet possible deals and strategic proposals. The board is being advised on the financial side by Lazard Freres & Co., LLC and on the legal end by Morris, Nichols, Arsht & Tunnell LLP.

B&N is the world’s largest bookseller, with 705 stores across the U.S. and 636 college bookstores operated through subsidiary Barnes & Noble College Booksellers. More important, the company has created a substantial digital business by developing its own e-reader and operating e-bookstores for itself and others. B&N claims that its e-reader, the Nook, has 25 percent of the e-book market. In its last earnings report, sales for BN.com increased 64 percent year over year.

In some respects, Liberty Media would be a very good fit. The company already owns or has stakes in companies in media and electronic retailing, as well as communications and entertainment, including Starz, Sirius XM (NSDQ: SIRI), QVC and Expedia. Its investments can be hit or miss. For instance, Liberty went heavily into original movie productions, only to pull back when results didn’t come close to expectations. Malone, the chairman, and CEO Greg Maffei are not big fans of buying high so it’s unclear how much room might be left under the ceiling for B&N.

Click on the chart below to see the diverging fortunes of Amazon (NSDQ: AMZN), Barnes & Noble, and Border’s stocks over the last five years. Barnes & Noble stock has lost more than half of its value, while Amazon is up 500 percent:
Old 05-19-11, 09:51 PM

Barnes and Noble needs someone at the top to put an end to their stores becoming
like glorified libraries. At every store I would yank out every single bench and chairs
(including the kids section). No merchandise from the store (books/mags/papers/etc)
allowed in the cafe/coffee. And plug ins for laptops..........oh hell no.

Here in the Portland area all the stores are really becoming disgusting like a Walmart.
Old 05-20-11, 05:53 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It doesn't matter if their are chairs or not, people just sit down in the middle of aisles reading. I like going to the store and browsing, but I don't go much anymore because I have to always step over people when I am looking around.
Old 05-20-11, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^

Damn hippies.
Old 05-21-11, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's what steel-toed boots are for.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.