Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Deepdiscount 25% Sale July 2009 Bitching, Moaning, and Pleasant Surprises

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Deepdiscount 25% Sale July 2009 Bitching, Moaning, and Pleasant Surprises

Old 08-05-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Deepdiscount 25% Sale July 2009 Bitching, Moaning, and Pleasant Surprises

As mentioned in the other thread, I received an item which did not strike me as new. It was Barbra Streisand Live in Concert Blu-Ray, and there were fingerprint smudges on the disc, and minor scratches. There was no security seal, but a small remainder of the seal was on the top of the case. It was shrinkwrapped in that thin Saran-Wrap type plastic, rather than the crinkly wrap. Didn't leave me with a good feeling -- as if a used item was sent out as new.
Old 08-05-09, 02:28 PM

Well, I received my big order today Yay! It had a birthday present in it for a coworker. I bought him Spaced with Simon Pegg. I'm currently waiting on a backordered Andy Richter Controls the Universe.
Old 08-05-09, 04:42 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Son of a bitch. I think I got my first used DVD from them. People have said they did, but in all my years I've never believed them, but I received a boxed set, all banged up, worn, which clearly looks rewrapped. If they stopped shipping so many items in that lame bubble-wrap envelopes we wouldn't have these problems and would know for sure. USE BOXES when I pay $300+ for an order!!!

If I contact CS, will they pay for return shipping on that item so I can get a new one?
Old 08-05-09, 04:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rkndkn
As mentioned in the other thread, I received an item which did not strike me as new. It was Barbra Streisand Live in Concert Blu-Ray, and there were fingerprint smudges on the disc, and minor scratches. There was no security seal, but a small remainder of the seal was on the top of the case. It was shrinkwrapped in that thin Saran-Wrap type plastic, rather than the crinkly wrap. Didn't leave me with a good feeling -- as if a used item was sent out as new.
It is hard to say from finger-prints, scratches, and the type of wrapping. I've received various items from all retailers that would qualify under those descriptions at one point or another. It appears in many cases that packaging may involve individuals at some point in the process where finger prints could occur. Also, scratches are not allows due to the packaging itself or shipment. It seems they can occur during the manufacturing/packaging process. Wrapping seems to vary from time to time.
Old 08-05-09, 04:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eric F
Son of a bitch. I think I got my first used DVD from them. People have said they did, but in all my years I've never believed them, but I received a boxed set, all banged up, worn, which clearly looks rewrapped. If they stopped shipping so many items in that lame bubble-wrap envelopes we wouldn't have these problems and would know for sure. USE BOXES when I pay $300+ for an order!!!

If I contact CS, will they pay for return shipping on that item so I can get a new one?
It could have just come from the distributor that way. It is even possible the studio could repackage based on all the returns they get. I wouldn't assume it is DD doing it.

However, yes if you ask DD CS they will get you a mailer so you can send it back for a replacement at their expense. It's not quite as good as Amazon's policy in which they will send out a replacement immediately. DD will wait until they receive the damaged product back first before sending out a replacement.
Old 08-05-09, 05:43 PM

I have opened a few new DVDs or CDs and found fingerprints on them. The wrapping didn't seem fiddled with in any way, but, yea, there were fingerprints smeared all over the discs. One CD, in particular, had four full fingerprints on them and I mean four whole fingers! I just cleaned it, but ew!
Old 08-06-09, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My order from August 2nd (Dollhouse and Wonderfalls) still hasn't shipped. On my account it says that Dollhouse is backordered, but when I go to the product page and add another copy to my cart it says that it's in stock. What the heck?

EDIT: Nevermind. Just got an email that the order shipped today. Now to play the waiting game...

Last edited by PopcornBandit; 08-06-09 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-06-09, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got my order last week. All seven seasons of Star Trek Voyager. Very happy with the price. Average cost was around $32 a season. Never seen that price on Amazon!
Old 08-06-09, 03:45 PM

Got my Mad Men S2 and Weeds S4 Blu-Rays today. They sent them in those flimsy gray mailing envelopes. Nothing wrong with the discs but both cases are broken.
Old 08-06-09, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bsmith
It is hard to say from finger-prints, scratches, and the type of wrapping. I've received various items from all retailers that would qualify under those descriptions at one point or another. It appears in many cases that packaging may involve individuals at some point in the process where finger prints could occur. Also, scratches are not allows due to the packaging itself or shipment. It seems they can occur during the manufacturing/packaging process. Wrapping seems to vary from time to time.
I'm going to keep the Blu-Ray, but the thing that really seemed suspicious was the small bit of security seal left at the top. It seems a new one would either have the complete sticker or none. Not the tiny bit leftover like when you hastily rip that part off. All I could see was the "L", which I think must have been the beginning of Live in Concert.
Old 08-06-09, 08:12 PM

Still waiting on Green Lantern and House of Wax (BDs) to restock. Other 7 items are on the way.
Old 08-15-09, 01:25 AM

I just opened the Phantasm that I ordered, and it's an empty case!
Old 08-15-09, 02:16 AM

Deep Discount needs to quit using those envelopes.
Old 08-17-09, 09:45 AM

I opened my copy of Doctor Who: Invisible Enemy/K-9 and Company and it contained two blank check discs. Needless to say I got them to send me a prepaid mailing envelope and it went back today. Really weird as it was a sealed WB copy or at least didnt appear to be opened. Glad I had a Dr. Who watching binge over the week or I might've had it unopened past the 30 day return period....
Old 08-17-09, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Phibes
I opened my copy of Doctor Who: Invisible Enemy/K-9 and Company and it contained two blank check discs. Needless to say I got them to send me a prepaid mailing envelope and it went back today. Really weird as it was a sealed WB copy or at least didnt appear to be opened. Glad I had a Dr. Who watching binge over the week or I might've had it unopened past the 30 day return period....
I also mailed back my empty case today after talking to a lovely and helpful woman on the phone. The empty case that I got was also sealed. However, I did notice that one of the clips that would hold a booklet or sheet in the case (if there had been a booklet or sheet) was broken and it wasn't in the case. I don't know if that means anything, but I just thought it was a little odd along with the missing disc.
Old 08-19-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts

Pleasant surprises from the sale:

- Short Circuit on Blu for $7 and change and The Middleman for $16 and change ($40 set)
- Both my orders contained no back order items, and shipped promptly...have had issues with shipping date / speed of delivery in the past

Overall, a GREAT sale that makes me want to come back to DD in Nov..
Old 08-25-09, 02:11 PM

I got my replacement yesterday. The case was broken in a few places and the disc was floating around inside. The disc looked scratched, but it played fine. I'm not going to raise any fuss since I basically have what I wanted, a working disc. But I wish I could get the first case back now.
Old 08-26-09, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered a title, it arrived cracked with the discs loose in the mailer. I wrote in requesting a replacement, and they sent me a mailer and said they would ship the new copy when they received the damaged copy.

Today they issued me a refund and said if I wanted a replacement that I could re-order at the current price. When I asked for my original order price they said they could not honor that price since the coupon was no longer valid.

Unbelievable.
Old 08-26-09, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ that is unexplicably retarded. imho.
Old 08-28-09, 10:14 PM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scorpion
Got my Mad Men S2 and Weeds S4 Blu-Rays today. They sent them in those flimsy gray mailing envelopes. Nothing wrong with the discs but both cases are broken.
Thats what happened with my CD I got. I requested a shipping label..I wonder if its worth the hassle. It could be a lot worse, the next shipment.

I think I am done with DD.
Old 08-31-09, 09:41 AM

I ordered, among other things, Green Lantern BD back in July...first weekend of the sale, to boot. The disc finally shipped, supposedly, on August 14 with a 8/23-8/28 delivery timeframe. No show on Saturday. After e-mailing, I was told to wait until tomorrow (9/1). I don't think I've ever complained about DD, but this is kind of lame in my book. If GL isn't in my mailbox by the time I get home on Tuesday, there will be issues.